5GHz won't load on new Gen5 router

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markobbie
Sophomore

5GHz won't load on new Gen5 router

I upgraded yesterday to Gen5 and the HT2000w modem/router. My computers and other devices -- a MacBook Pro, iMac, two iPhones, and two Kindle Fires -- do not see the 5GHz and guest networks. When I reboot the router, then my MacBook does see and can log into the 5GHz network. I then moved 5GHz to the top of the preferences in my network settings. But when I let the computer go idle and then come back a short while later, it's off the list of networks that my computer sees (I didn't test this yet on all the other devices, but it really only matters for this computer, which sits near the router and could best take advantage of what I am told is a faster wifi). It does still see and can use the 2.4GHz network and the extender I connected to that network. But, even there, it has logged me out and I have to "join" it all over again.  

When I called tech support, I had to explain what a MacBook Pro is. It went downhill from there. Bottom line: the diagnosis was that my devices are incompatible with this frequency. Which seems obviously wrong. On my Gen4 router, I connected via 5GHz. I've never had a problem with my computer "forgetting" a network or not seeing it at all (I still haven't seen the guest network on any of the devices). 

Help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JSHILLIDAY38

Unless there is a specific reason that you need to use the 5Ghz radio, the 2.4Ghz radio is fine, and it's the one most people would be better off using.    You don't need a new laptop.

The 5Ghz radio was designed to help in situations where there is interference with the 2.4Ghz frequency, like may occur in apartment complexes and such.  It can also transmit data at higher speeds, but the speeds of Hughesnet don't approach anything near where the 5Ghz frequency would be of an advantage in that aspect.  2.4Ghz can transmit up to about 450Mbps, whereas 5Ghz can transmit up to about 1300Mbps.  Hughesnet Gen5 tops out at about 50Mbps.  When it comes to range, the 2.4Ghz is much better, and is better at transmitting through walls and such.  5Ghz doesn't do this well.    

As to why the 5Ghz radio isn't showing up in your options for connection...you got me.  It doesn't show up on my laptop or notebook, either, and both can handle 5Ghz signals.  

It's possible that your Asus (and my laptop and notebook) automatically defaults to the 2.4Ghz frequency and only shows this when both are available, though this is only a guess and it could very well be wrong.  I'm not terribly versed on Wi-Fi, but read about the differences between the two frequencies and why to use one over the other.    

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pacetree
Junior

While I don't receive my 5G modem/router/WiFi till Tuesday, I was planning on continuing to use my existing router (with working 5G WiFi) once the new modem is setup.  Probably just turn off the WiFi and firewall on the new modem.  I've run into the same problem you are having with other routers in the past.  Sometimes, a firmware update fixed.  We don't Know when there will be a firmware update for the new modem.  Is there any reason you can't continue to use a third party router/WiFi?  Speed should not be an issue if they are gigabit ports.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Right now the only fix for the missing 5Ghz band is to reboot the modem, I am sure Hughes is busy working on a fix to keep that from happening.

I just got the Gen5 and the 5Ghz does not even show up as an option for the wifi.  Talked to someone at Hughes and they claimed all was well on their end and that my laptop is "probably" to old to support this new dual band modem.  Does this sound right?  I'm using an Asus that is a couple years old.  When I check the wifi on the laptop, it's using the 2.4Ghz hug2 wifi.  I have not seen 5Ghz at any time as an option, or that it is even there.  Now, I am an admitted luddite, no solution is obvious or easy.  I read where rebooting the modem may solve the problem...how do u do that, just power it down and then turn it back on?  Anyway, whomever I talked to at hughes is convinced that I need a new laptop that can operate with the dual band modem.  Any help would be appreciated.

GabeU

@JSHILLIDAY38

Unless there is a specific reason that you need to use the 5Ghz radio, the 2.4Ghz radio is fine, and it's the one most people would be better off using.    You don't need a new laptop.

The 5Ghz radio was designed to help in situations where there is interference with the 2.4Ghz frequency, like may occur in apartment complexes and such.  It can also transmit data at higher speeds, but the speeds of Hughesnet don't approach anything near where the 5Ghz frequency would be of an advantage in that aspect.  2.4Ghz can transmit up to about 450Mbps, whereas 5Ghz can transmit up to about 1300Mbps.  Hughesnet Gen5 tops out at about 50Mbps.  When it comes to range, the 2.4Ghz is much better, and is better at transmitting through walls and such.  5Ghz doesn't do this well.    

As to why the 5Ghz radio isn't showing up in your options for connection...you got me.  It doesn't show up on my laptop or notebook, either, and both can handle 5Ghz signals.  

It's possible that your Asus (and my laptop and notebook) automatically defaults to the 2.4Ghz frequency and only shows this when both are available, though this is only a guess and it could very well be wrong.  I'm not terribly versed on Wi-Fi, but read about the differences between the two frequencies and why to use one over the other.    

Yeah, I'm seeing this issue too.   5Ghz wireless drops out, not shown as available WIFI.   Have to power cycle the HT2000W to bring it back.   It's starting to be annoying!

GabeU

@Rkrauter wrote:

Yeah, I'm seeing this issue too.   5Ghz wireless drops out, not shown as available WIFI.   Have to power cycle the HT2000W to bring it back.   It's starting to be annoying!

It seems that some HT2000Ws are experiencing this issue, and Hughesnet is working on it.  In the meantime, other than rebooting, you could try the 2.4Ghz band and see if that works well enough, or you can even use a separate router with the HT2000W if you have one.  

maratsade

@Rkrauter wrote:

Do you need the 5Ghz wireless specifically?  As @GabeU wrote, most people won't need this, and while it's faster, it also has less range.

To increase the visibility of your post, you may want to post your issue as a new topic under Tech Support, instead of as a reply to an older topic.

I am having the same issue with the 5g, I am a former Help Desk shift lead, so I will add my observations from tonight.

It is only the secured 5GHz SSID hug5g753286 that is not broadcasting. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, a custom tablet, a few Lenova laptops, a Hopper/Joeys that are 5g capable. I could just set it up to use the guest radio and secure it, but that is a workaround and not a solution. The system logs I will post below show issues with default settings.

The guest 5g is broadcasting fine and has not has a issue. I renamed both guest bands to DEA and FBI to mess with neighbors/friends etc.

As you can see right away, the date/time it not reporting correctly and that will make things a little more challenging, I tried to make some changes to creating a time stamp reference point, but the changes I tried would not save, I will try a few more tomorrow. I'm switching to debug logs now to see how that reports. Partial log. 20k character max

Jan 1 09:38:41 (none) kern.err kernel: [63521.080000] ICMPv6 RA: ndisc_router_discovery() failed to add default route.
Jan 1 09:38:33 (none) kern.err kernel: [63513.790000] ICMPv6 RA: ndisc_router_discovery() failed to add default route.
Jan 1 09:38:30 (none) daemon.info dhclient: bound to 100.65.245.58 -- renewal in 57 seconds.
Jan 1 09:38:30 (none) daemon.info dhclient: [bind_lease:1581] dhclient bind lease.
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: [gratuitous_arp:125] dhclient gratuitous arp.
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: [dhcpack:1394] dhclient receive ack from server(100.65.245.57).
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: DHCPACK from 100.65.245.57
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: [send_request:2730] dhclient send request.
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: adapter index 6
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: adapter index 6
Jan 1 09:38:27 (none) daemon.info dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0.2 to 100.65.245.57 port 67
Jan 1 09:38:24 (none) kern.err kernel: [63504.420000] ICMPv6 RA: ndisc_router_discovery() failed to add default route.

systemcontrollcenter.com > WiFi Settings > Advanced Setup > WIRELESS > Right side in the Wireless box, under 5Ghz check the DFS Enabled box > Save settings > Click Administration on Menu > Reboot

OR, change the channel selection from Auto to channels 36-48 or 149-165.  Some countries do not support WiFi channels 149-165 click Save Settings.

DFS Dynamic Frequency Selection is a mechanism that detects and tracks radar frequencies, changes 5g frequencies as to not cause interference with radar systems. 

This is mainly for Europe, but depending the developers/manufacturers/inteded market etc, tyhere are "Holidays".

Seems to be broadcasting and has been stable for about a hour.