Can't load 1 website

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fox12
Junior

Can't load 1 website

Odd problem. Every site I try to load will load, slowly except Facebook. Tried it many times over the past several hours.. It will start loading then just a white page. If I refresh it does the same thing. A friend on a different internet service has no problems loading it. So it's not FB.
I did several speed tests and they are all fair, about the same as always. I rebooted the modem, didn't help.
When FB is trying to load the modem lights are just on steady, like it's not sending or recieving. All other sites they all flash.
Any ideas? It's been raining here (Ohio) all day but hasn't effected other sites.
Thanks.

Speed test url
https://testmy.net/quickstats/feham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fox12 

I noticed on your speed tests that an Ipad is being used (or at least that's what it's detecting).  Do you have another device with which to try Facebook to see if it could be something device specific?  

Something I suggest trying is to unplug the modem.  Then, while the modem is unplugged, turn off all devices connected to your network.  Make sure they're actually off and not just in standby.  Then plug the modem back in and wait for a few minutes before turning one of your devices back on to try FB.  The idea with this is that it will ensure that the DNS is refreshed in your network.  I don't know if a corrupted DNS entry can cause a problem like this, but I've seen things 'fixed' a number of times by clearing the DNS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade

n/c

GabeU

@fox12 

I noticed on your speed tests that an Ipad is being used (or at least that's what it's detecting).  Do you have another device with which to try Facebook to see if it could be something device specific?  

Something I suggest trying is to unplug the modem.  Then, while the modem is unplugged, turn off all devices connected to your network.  Make sure they're actually off and not just in standby.  Then plug the modem back in and wait for a few minutes before turning one of your devices back on to try FB.  The idea with this is that it will ensure that the DNS is refreshed in your network.  I don't know if a corrupted DNS entry can cause a problem like this, but I've seen things 'fixed' a number of times by clearing the DNS.

Thanks GabeU. lots of things to try there. I dont have an Ipad but I am using a Macbook, maybe that's showing as an Ipad. I did get on a few minutes ago but it was very very slow and the pages wouldn't load.
I tried it before on an HP laptop and it did the same thing, wouldn't load. It acts weird. It will load about 1/4 of the way, then zip across the rest of the way like it's fully loaded, but just a white page. If I refresh it does it again like it's reloading but still just a blank page. I tried MSNBC, gmail, and several other sites and they all load normally. 
Thanks, I'll try some of the things you mentioned and see what happens.
I did all that with wifi turned off in the admin control and using a LAN cable.
Will keep you updated..No problem getting on this site.

GabeU. Thanks for all the information. 
Not sure what I found but I highly suspect it was the Web Safe extension on McAfee virus protection. It has the ability to block, or change websites it deems as dangerous. I deleted it and rebooted and everything has worked since.
Thanks for your help.

GabeU

@fox12 

I had a similar type of extension from Webroot causing occasional odd issues with Chrome a couple of years ago on my prior desktop computer.  I disabled it and the problems stopped.

I'm glad you were able to get it working again.  🙂

Thanks. I am hanging on to this information in case it happens again.