Can't reach sites

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mmatson
Freshman

Can't reach sites

I have a modem and wireless router. Both appear to be working correctly. Laptop can get onto the internet but can not enter any sites. Did diagnostic and it says my network is working correctly. The same is happening on another laptop we own. Using my phone right now. Can anyone help me? I have limited knowledge.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Mmatson 

Is this something that just started?  Has it worked previously?  

Have you tried power cycling your HughesNet modem?  That's unplugging your modem at the wall outlet or power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), waiting at least thirty seconds, then plugging it back in, waiting a few minutes, then trying to go online.  If you haven't tried doing this, please do so.  

If this does not help, do you have the ability to connect a device directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable?  

View solution in original post

This just started a day or two ago. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for explaining how to do it....my hubby was the expert and I am trying to learn.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mmatson
Freshman

Should have said not over my limit so am not slowed down.
GabeU

@Mmatson 

Is this something that just started?  Has it worked previously?  

Have you tried power cycling your HughesNet modem?  That's unplugging your modem at the wall outlet or power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), waiting at least thirty seconds, then plugging it back in, waiting a few minutes, then trying to go online.  If you haven't tried doing this, please do so.  

If this does not help, do you have the ability to connect a device directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable?  

This just started a day or two ago. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for explaining how to do it....my hubby was the expert and I am trying to learn.
GabeU

@Mmatson

Eek... a day or two.  That's not good.  😞 

Being that it's been a day or two the reps should probably have a look.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  It can take them up to a day or two to reply, but they're usually pretty quick.  They may want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so please make sure to leave the HughesNet modem plugged in if you normally unplug it when it's not being used, as it needs to be powered in order for them to be able to run the diagnostics.

I'll tag a couple of the reps so that they will be sure to see this thread and help you.  In the meantime, if the power cycling of the modem does fix the problem, though I don't know that it will (I hope it does), please be sure to reply so we know.  The reps may still want to take a look even if it does fix it, as they may want to see why the problem occurred in the first place.  🙂  

@Liz

@Amanda

Thank you SO much...I had no idea how to reboot! Thank you for explaining it to me! I know where to come if I need more help.
GabeU

@Mmatson

You're very welcome.  I'm glad it did the trick.  🙂