Connection Problems- Only with AOL

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bos2420
Junior

Connection Problems- Only with AOL

The problem started a week to 10 days ago.  I can not connect to AOL via my hughes Gen5 connection.  We both use aol mail (yes, I know there are better options, and I may look into that, but when you have had the same address forever, switching is hard to do)

Now, not only can I/we not connect to our mail, we also can not connect to aol.com (main website)  I thought this might be a router problem, as a couple of other websites were pretty slow.  Just put in a new TP-Link AC1200.  It is working fine.  All other websites come up quickly.  Running Win10.  This is happening on ALL of our computers, 3 laptops and this decktop.  When trying to connect, I get the "This site can't be reached.  Mail.aol.com took too long to respond".  This desktop is running wired through the router, the other computers are running wireless. 

When I break the phones out, and go to the 'mobil hotspot route', we can connect.  Again, on all 4 computers.  

We have exceeded our download allowance, but we are working on 7 gigs of purchased allowance.  Regardless of that, this started when we were still in our allowance, and it happens during 'Bonus Time', so I do not think it is an 'allowance' problem.  

I am pretty computer literate, so this isn't a basic knowledge issue (I hope).  I have also torn up Google looking for answers.  There was something about disabling the IPv6 settings.  No joy.  Then there was something about changing the IPv4 settings and going to a directed DNS Server address.  Tried that also.  No good.  

Wife, who is NOT computer literate, suggested a System Restore.  I do not think that will work, but I was halfway through this post when she brought it up.  I will try that, and come back if it works.  Otherwise, assume it didn't.  Can't think it would anyway, unless there is some virus that infected all 4 computers, through Malware Byes, and is specific to Hughes not connecting to AOL.  

So, short story, in review.  Can not connect via Hughes to any form of AOL (including the help articles listed in Google searches)  If it says AOL in the address, it will not load.  It WILL load via a phones' mobil hotspot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bos2420 

One other thing is that, if you'd like to schedule the file downloads, but you don't like the idea of leaving your PC on (I don't), or messing with trying to schedule the downloads to your PC, you can schedule the file download(s) to your Android or IOS device using the PlayOn Cloud app, then copy the files to your PC.  

BTW, don't forget to change the resolution on the app if you want it to be better than standard.  I'm fine with standard, which is DVD quality, but some people want it to be better, regardless of the increased file size for the program/movie.  I believe 720p is the maximum resolution, but that's still very good.  

If you try it and you like it, please let us know.  I'm still deciding whether to get it, though I probably will.  It's cheap, and lets you easily take advantage of the Bonus Zone data, and even those twenty days of data resets with your upgrade (make sure first, though, of course).  🙂

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
GabeU

@bos2420 

You should try the following...

1.  Shut down your connected devices.

2.  Turn off your router.

3.  Unplug your HughesNet modem from either the wall outlet or the power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), then disconnect your router from the modem.

4.  Connect your desktop directly to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable.

5.  Wait at least a minute (from when you first unplugged the modem), then plug your HughesNet modem back in.  

6.  Wait at least five minutes so that the HughesNet modem is fully up and ready, then start up the directly connected desktop and try to go to the sites.

7.  If that works, then shut the desktop back down and disconnect it from the modem.  Then reconnect the router to the modem, reconnect your desktop to the router, turn the router on, wait a few minutes for the router to be fully up, then start the desktop again and retry the sites.  If it works, try your other devices.

I tried all that a couple of days after this all started.  No joy.

System Restore did not work last night either.  Not that I expected it to.

But, not to be stubborn, I tried it again.

Modem was unplugged at the brick.  Currently running directly from Hughes Modem to computer.  Same situation.

Wife is on the other computer, in the kitchen, running off her Verizon hotspot, answering her mail.

If the DNS records are corrupted, you have to turn off every device connecting to the modem before rebooting the modem. Failing to do that may just re-corrupt the DNS entry because you're likely repopulating it with the bad one instead of getting the correct one off the internet. The correct procedure is:
1. Turn off all devices (computers, phones, anything connected)
2. Turn off the modem and or any additonal routers by unplugging the power cord from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute and restart modem/routers.

4. Wait until the system light on the modem is lit and start turning your devices back on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

gaines-

Ahh, the mysteries of the internet.  While I don't understand all that, I kind of get what you are saying.  However, it has been 10 days, at least.  Getting pretty old. 

Mark-

Another solution that doesn't make sense to me (NOT a criticizm, just above my pay grade) but I am willing to try anything.

So, tried that.  Shut off all the laptops, desktop, and phones (even though they are not connected to the network)  Unplugged modem.  Made a sammich.  Plugged back in, and turned on computers after modem was all lit up.  No joy. 

I would like to try a new modem.  Will contact CS and see if they can read this thread and advise.  I hate going through phone support, or even on-line support, as they have to follow the 'book' (and I get that) but I am 22 chapters into the book already, but they have to start on page 1-  "Turn the modem off, and turn it on again."  Siiiiiigh

Apparently, this happens with any 'Old Timey' website.  Smiley Very Happy

Just tried to look at a link on Yahoo.  Same error message.  Figured it was just the link.  Tried to go to Yahoo.com.  Nope.  

Went to the phone hotspot.  Loads right up.  

E-mail sent to Customer Service, requesting to test a new modem. 

I can guarantee you that if the modem is allowing you to get to a web page anywhere at all, it's not broken. There's something else that's route-related. Whether it's your local DNS (which is what my procedure fixes), or the DNS your modem is attempting to use, or (and this is a distinct possibility) the route to AOL is broken. But replacing the modem isn't going to fix any of that.

We've eliminated the first question. To eliminate the second question, go to http://192.168.42.1/dns.htm (you may need to put in your wifi administrator password). Is the "Obtain from ISP" box checked?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark,

That address will not connect.  Where am I trying to go?  Router, or modem?

GabeU

@bos2420 wrote:

Mark,

That address will not connect.  Where am I trying to go?  Router, or modem?

It connects to the settings of the HughesNet modem.  Specifically, the setting for whether the modem is using HughesNet's DNS (Obtain from ISP) or a 3rd party DNS.  If you can sign in (password is admin), but it takes you to the main page, the part you want to go to is under Advanced Setup > DNS.  

Are you still directly connected to the HughesNet modem (no router) with a LAN cable?  If not, it should be tried that way.   

Sorry, @MarkJFine .  Not trying to step on your toes.

Ok, I think I see the direction we want to go, just don't know how to get there.  That link does not connect.  

http://192.168.0.1/ takes me to the system control panel.  I assume we don't want to go there?

GabeU

@bos2420 

You can get there from the System Control Center.  While on the SCC, click on WiFi Settings on the left, use admin as the password, then Advanced Setup > DNS.

I think (maybe) I messed up what my equipment is.  I thought we were Gen 5.  This is an HN9000 modem.

YUP.  NOT Gen 5

That was very stupid of me, gentlemen.  Sorry for sending you down the wrong road.

GabeU

@bos2420 wrote:

That was very stupid of me, gentlemen.  Sorry for sending you down the wrong road.

No biggie.  We all forget things sometimes.  Two days in a row last week I forgot to put my mug in my Keurig before hitting the brew button.  Let's just say I had an awful mess, and again, two days in a row.  😛  

maratsade

coffee.png

@GabeU wrote:

Two days in a row last week I forgot to put my mug in my Keurig before hitting the brew button.  Let's just say I had an awful mess, and again, two days in a row.  😛  

@GabeU wrote:

@bos2420 wrote:

No biggie.  We all forget things sometimes.  Two days in a row last week I forgot to put my mug in my Keurig before hitting the brew button.  Let's just say I had an awful mess, and again, two days in a row.  😛  

I own a small coffee hut here in MT.  Sometimes I forget to put the shot glasses under the portafilter to catch the espresso.  So, I get that.

I 'think' I wanted Gen5 when we upgraded a few years ago, but it was not available in our Zip Code then.  (It just came out)  I have been with Hughes for 15 years, we have no cable.  Heck, we still have copper phone lines.  The last modem went bad, and I had a router go bad also.  That is why I was thinking router.  

If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to listen.  At this point, I think I will upgrade to Gen 5.  Would be nice if I didn't have to pay for the install, but we will see.  

GabeU

@bos2420 wrote:

If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to listen.  At this point, I think I will upgrade to Gen 5.  Would be nice if I didn't have to pay for the install, but we will see.  

I take it the DNS flush didn't help?  

Hmm, ok guys... I got distracted. Guess we determined there's no built-in wifi, but if there is a separate wifi-capable router, it should have similar settings. What we were trying to do was to ensure that the router (and really all of the devices using the router) were set for an 'automatic' DNS. If not, perhaps changing them to automatic might fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem, then it's an upstream thing, and good luck with that.

GabeU

@bos2420 wrote:

YUP.  NOT Gen 5

Coincidentally enough, I was just getting ready to edit my prior post to ask you to make sure it's Gen5 and the HT2000W that you have, as it seemed strange that the link Mark gave wouldn't work, and the only reason I could think of as to why it woudn't work was if it wasn't a HT2000W modem.  

I'm not at all familiar with the HN9000 modem, but I don't think it has a DNS configurable section, so it should be automatically using HughesNet's DNS.  

At this point, I'm at a loss.  I still think it's a DNS issue, but I'm not very versed in this type of issue, so I don't really know much more of what to try.  Hopefully others will, and hopefully a rep will reply with an idea, or to check to make sure everything is okay with your equipment. 

One thing you can try, which sometimes works for me when I'm having website issues (especially with Amazon), is to flush your computer's DNS cache, though shutting down the computer should do the same.  Still, it may be worth a try.  Close all of your open browser windows and then open your Command Prompt.  Type "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotes, then hit enter.  And there IS a space in between the g and forward slash.  After you get the confirmation of the flush completing, close the command prompt, open a web page and try one of the pages you're having an issue with.  Again, I don't know if this will work, but it may.