cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems- Only with AOL

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Connection Problems- Only with AOL

@bos2420 

You should like the Gen5.  It works pretty well for me.  And the HT2000W has built in WiFi, so if anything were to ever go wrong with your own router you'll still it.  

That whole Dish and HBO thing is angering a lot of people, especially because of GOT.  I'm looking forward to the Deadwood film, as well.  

You may even want to take a look at PlayOn Cloud.  With it you can download GOT and other things as a file (.mp4) instead of actually having to stream it.  It's a great way to be able to take advantage of the Bonus Zone.  It streams what you choose to the cloud, then converts it to an .mp4 file for downloading.  And what you download you keep, as well.  There's no expiration.  You then use your media player, like VLC or Windows' built in player, to view the file.  And best of all is that there's no buffering, as you're watching the programs/movies from already downloaded files.  It's a pretty inexpensive service, as well.  You can even schedule the file downloads.  You should check it out.  It might be worth it for you.  I don't have it, myself, but a couple of people on here do, including @maratsade.  He seems to like it.  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

I'm a big fan of PlayOn Cloud.  I just recorded 2 seasons of a show (16 episodes total), all in HD.  Set it to  record, checked the next day and it was all done (without using my data), then downloaded the episodes (NOT during regular data times, or it would've eaten gigs and gigs), and now I have the files and can watch them and rewatch them whenever. No buffering, excellent picture.  The cost for all 16 episodes? $3.20.  

@maratsade wrote:

I'm a big fan of PlayOn Cloud........

Wow, you guys have finally convinced me!  Just in time for the last season of Game of Thrones, and I've got 18 days to learn how to use it.

Professor

Please use the app, not the desktop version, as the latter uses data.  With the app, I think you get 5 free recording credits, which you may want to use to practice how this works.  You need to have accounts with the places you record from.  I have accounts with Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.  The app will have you login to your account, and then you can set it to record. 

Highlighted
Junior

Good news.  Install date was moved up from next Fri to next Wed.  Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Interested in the Playon.tv thing.  So I went to take a look.

Wouldn'tcha know....

This site can’t be reached

www.playon.tv took too long to respond.

I tried a couple of different links, several times.  No joy.

(No need to try to fix this, just amusing)

Distinguished Professor IV

@bos2420 

Something seems to be a bit goofy with their site today.  I just tried it and couldn't get on, though I had no issue during any previous time going there to research it.  I just tried again, and now it worked. 

I'd try it a few more times, though maybe wait a few minutes.  I don't know if the problem is with their site or if maybe there is an upstream provider issue when trying to access it.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Working fine for me:

play-on.png

Junior

Is there a trick to getting the app on a Win10 laptop?  I can see how to get it for my phones.  I must be doing something wrong.  Can't find how to authorize my laptop with Google Play.  

(I don't use many (if any) apps on Win10)  Use em all the time on the phone.

Junior

OK, I just got in to the Play On Cloud website.  I guess what I need to do is this.....

Once that recording is complete, an .mp4 file will be ready for you to enjoy. You can download the recorded.mp4 video file from the PlayOn Cloud app onto your mobile device. We also email you a download link to the video so you can download it from anywhere onto any device or computer.

Professor

That's right.  You set up the download (this is where they deduct the recording tokens from your account), and it works behind the scenes, in the cloud. You can just shut down the app and forget about it.  It records in real time (it's a DVR-like thing), so a 1 hour show will take 1 hour to record.  When the recording is done, you will get an email with a download link.  Unless you pay for storage, the recording will only be stored for 7 days.  If you lose the link or the email, you can use the app to get the email resent.  If the recording is no longer in storage, you have to re-record it. 

With the link, you can download to any device. I think to download to devices like iPhone or iPad you don't need the email, you do that from the app -- @BirdDog will know more about this.  I download from the link in the email to a flash drive. 

bos2420 wrote:

OK, I just got in to the Play On Cloud website.  I guess what I need to do is this.....

Once that recording is complete, an .mp4 file will be ready for you to enjoy. You can download the recorded.mp4 video file from the PlayOn Cloud app onto your mobile device. We also email you a download link to the video so you can download it from anywhere onto any device or computer.