Connection drops intermittently

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcregger
Freshman

Connection drops intermittently

For the last two months, I have been experiencing dropped connections on my Gen 5 system.  These routinely occur during the daytime:

a) after 6 a.m.

b) occur about every 5-7 minutes

c) only last about a minute or less.  

d) rebooting the modem has NO effect. 

While it is a nuisance while working on the internet, it makes my telephone next to useless.  Once the sat connection is dropped, the phone goes dead interupting any conversations in progress.

Any ideas to correct this would be greatly appreciated!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi lcregger,

Thank you for your patience while the engineers investigated your case. They would like to get a hold of your modem and ATA for debugging, as they aren't able to reproduce the same issue on their lab equipment. I will have replacement equipment shipped at no cost to you, but I will also email you special return labels so that our engineers get your equipment.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

Good morning lcregger,

I see the equipment arrived at your location last week. Have you been able to give them a spin?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lcregger

A few things to try and/or make sure of....

If you have the modem plugged into a power strip or surge protector, please try plugging it directly in to an outlet to see if it makes any difference.  Also, please make sure that the power plug going into the back of the modem is not loose.  Please be careful with this plug, as it is delicate.  In addition, please make sure that the coax connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be any tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

In the meantime, if you do not normally do so, please make sure to leave the modem plugged in, as the reps may need to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment and the modem will need to be powered in order for them to do so.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

@Liz

@Amanda

a) Modem is plugged directly into wall outlet.

b) Both power plug and coax are snugly connected to modem.

c) Modem stays on 24/7 unless I am in the process of re-booting the modem.

No difference noted in modem dropping out intermitently during the day.

Thanks for your response!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lcregger

Thanks for checking those things.  This is definitely something the reps will have to help with.  Hopefully they'll reply tomorrow.  🙂  

Hi lcregger,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Your clear and concise answers help a great deal. I ran diagnostics on your site to check on the equipment, and so far everything looks to be in working order. So that I may review your state code history from the modem, please don't reboot the modem. 

I also want to make an adjustment to your modem to see if it will make a difference in the frequency of disconnects. Please let me know when you're done using the internet, as the adjustment will disconnect you from the internet briefly.

I will not use the internet or modem till I hear from you, that it's OK to use it once again!

Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks, I've done the adjustment. Let me know how it works.

Will do!

It will probably be tomorrow morning before I know for certain if you've made a difference.

Once again,

Thank You!

Liz,

I can notice a bit of an improvement but there is still a problem with the connection being dropped momentarily.  It is not very noticeable while on the internet, but it still drops phone calls after a few minutes.  I can immediately re-connect on the phone call now, rather than having to wait 30-60 seconds.  In other words, the disconnect timeframe is shorter.

The VOIP has been very reliable until shortly after Thanksgiving which is when the dropped connections started, if that might help.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Good morning lcregger,

Thank you for the feedback and the additional information, this certainly helps. I've sent this up to engineering for their assistance, perhaps they can see something I can't or know of something else that could be affecting your system. We'll post back once we have any news or additional questions.

Hi lcregger,

Thanks for your patience while engineering investigated. Could you please go into more detail about this statement "...there is still a problem with the connection being dropped momentarily. It is not very noticeable while on the internet, but it still drops phone calls after a few minutes."

What happened exactly that led to that statement? Were you browsing the internet and then started a call while still browsing? Or did you end your internet session and then make a phone call later?

With regards to internet browsing only, is the severity of the disconnects less severe than before the adjustment? (Disconnecting less often and/or lasting for shorter periods?)

Are you experiencing dropped calls while using the internet?

Do dropped calls persist even when no one is using the internet?

This isn't to say browsing and using your HughesNet Voice service is not possible or not recommended, I'm just seeking clarification for engineering.

a) When utilizing a web browser, it seems that the intermittent disconnects are less frequent  since adjustments were made last week.

b) When using the phone, the intermittent disconnects happen irregardless of computer being on or off.....and happen irregardless of using a web browser or not, if the computer is on.

c) Since the adjusments made last week, the intervals between the phone disconnects seem to be a minute or two further apart but I have not timed them.  Once the phone disconnects, I can immediately hit re-dial and re-connect whereas before it could take up to a minute or two before I was able to re-connect.

d) FYI - I do not use wireless and wired devices at the same time on this system.

I hope this clarifies my statement.  If not, let me know.

Thanks

Good morning lcregger,

Thank you! I think this is good, I'll send this over to the engineer. I'll let you know once I have any other news or questions to share.

Good morning lcregger,

Are you available today or tomorrow for live troubleshooting with our engineers? We need more recent and longer calls to better evaluate the performance. Please let me know. Looking forward to hearing back.

I can/will be available all day today but Thurs. is not a good time.

OK thank you. Is the phone number assosciated with your Voice service, ending in 72, the only number at which we can reach you?

Yes, the Voice number ending in 72 is the only number available.

Thank you. Please expect a call from engineering today at 2pm EST.

Will do!

Thanks for the assistance Liz!

Hi lcregger,

The engineers made a small breakthrough yesterday, but will need another trace capturing session. Are you available tomorrow for another call? Please let me know your availability so we can set up another appointment. We can do 2 PM ET again if that also works for you.

I'll arrange to be available at 2 PM ET on Friday the 9th.

I have not been able to use the computer today to chart any "hiccups" but it seems to be working good currently.