Connection is off and on

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jd697
Freshman

Connection is off and on

Hi. I am on Gen4 using an HT1100 modem and for the last 3 or 4 days I have been experiencing intermittent connections and I will temporarily lose all internet connectivity. In the modem control center the status light will either be green or yellow and the connectivity test will say that I have limited access to the gateway during the time that it is down. If I reboot the modem, it will usually fix the problem for a while but sometimes after only a few minutes it's down again. When it is working I have used the testmy.net speed test site several times and my download speeds are excellent, but my upload speeds are erratic. Sometimes the upload speed is 1.5mbps and other times it will be 20kbps or less. I have tried the usual checklist. I have bypassed my router and connected the cable directly from the modem to the computer. I have also tried a different ethernet cable but it made no difference. All the modem lights are on. My signal strength is 98, which is pretty good for where I live. Thanks for any ideas you might have. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jd697, thanks for reaching out. I pulled up your account, and through my investigation I did see some dip in service that showed from recent activity, though it seemed to sort itself out. I ran a test through the system that should improve connection, it may take up to a few hours before we see results. 

Let us know how things are running. 

-Brooke

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jd697

At this point, the best thing you can do is to make sure that the coax connector at the back of the modem is finger tight, and if your modem is plugged into a power strip or surge protector try plugging it directly into a wall outlet, as those two devices can sometimes interfere with proper power throughput.  It would also be a good idea to make sure that the power plug at the back of the modem is snug.  Be careful, as it's a very delicate plug (it has multiple pins), but just make sure it's not loose.  

In the meantime, it would be best for you to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in, if you don't already, so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see what's going on.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.   They normally reply within a day, but if they're very busy it can sometimes take them a little longer.  

Thanks for the response GabeU. I checked the coax and the power plug connections and they are good. I will try to find a wall outlet that I can plug the modem into instead of the surge protector. So far this morning everything is working ok. I will see how it works throughout the day and report back.

Unfortunately I am still having problems losing connection. It worked fine for a few hours this morning, but then dropped out again around noon. The connection dropped several more times this afternoon and I rebooted to get it back up. It works fine when it is working. When it goes down the system state code is usually 30.1.1. I do have the modem plugged directly into the wall outlet. I am on Echostar-XVII. Beam ID  20.

GabeU

@jd697

I'm hoping that they'll reply soon.  Though it's normally not necessary, I'm going to tag a couple of the reps, just in case.  

@Amanda

@Liz

maratsade

I think Liz is off this week. 

@GabeU wrote:

I'm hoping that they'll reply soon.  Though it's normally not necessary, I'm going to tag a couple of the reps, just in case.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I think Liz is off this week.  

How dare she take a week off!  😛  J/K.  

maratsade

I know, right??? As soon as I figure out where HR is located, I may complain.  I also need to complain about the fact that they won't give me free food from their excellent cafeteria.  😉

Hi jd697, thanks for reaching out. I pulled up your account, and through my investigation I did see some dip in service that showed from recent activity, though it seemed to sort itself out. I ran a test through the system that should improve connection, it may take up to a few hours before we see results. 

Let us know how things are running. 

-Brooke

Thanks Brooke. My connection seems to be holding tonight. It's running slow but at least the connection is not dropping. Speed tests show me at 1.1mbps on download and 0.55 on upload. I know that speeds are always lower at night, but it is especially slow tonight. I'll see how things work tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Absolutely, and thank you for the update. Keep us updated tomorrow too. 

-Brooke

I've had no problems today with the internet connection. Everything has worked fine and the speeds were good. Hopefully the problem has been resolved. Thanks again for the help.

Great! Happy to hear that seemed to do the trick. 🙂 If you run into any more problems again, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

-Brooke