Hughesnet Community

Government mandated restrictions on office workers. Any bandwidth help from HughesNet?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtucker5

Government mandated restrictions on office workers. Any bandwidth help from HughesNet?

Help HughesNet the US government is requiring work from home due to viruses. Will HughesNet assist by lifting bandwidth restrictions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kim.faulkner 

This is the most up to date announcement.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade

HN will not be lifting bandwidth restrictions, as it is not feasible with satellite internet. See this post. 

dtucker5 wrote:

Help HughesNet the US government is requiring work from home due to viruses. Will HughesNet assist by lifting bandwidth restrictions?

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

If Hughesnet lifts bandwidth restrictions the internet will be so slow no one be able to use it.

Liz

Good morning dtucker5,

We hear your concerns and are actively working on multiple solutions for our customers. We understand that this will change usage typical usage habits and needs. Please check back with us soon for an official statement.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

kim.faulkner
New Poster

So many school children now asked to work on school work accessing the Internet! Please hughes net do what you can to add more data allowance without the excessive price ! When I have had to buy extra data this greatly helps! But I cant afford to keep buying more day to day !
GabeU

@kim.faulkner 

This is the most up to date announcement.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

If HN lifts caps it will more than likely cause more problem. Most people can't restrict themselves to using the internet just for schoolwork & research. Many parents use it as a babysitter.

JMHO

Reggie

maratsade

Exactly. It would be chaos, and people would be out for blood (Viasat had a huge mess on its hands when they foolishly offered higher caps), so I hope HN will not go this route.  Using the internet for regular stuff like schoolwork, research, email, and browsing should not use up all that much data. 

And if more data is needed, tokens are available

@Reggie wrote:

If HN lifts caps it will more than likely cause more problem. Most people can't restrict themselves to using the internet just for schoolwork & research. Many parents use it as a babysitter.

JMHO

Reggie

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Exactly. It would be chaos, and people would be out for blood (Viasat had a huge mess on its hands when they foolishly offered higher caps), so I hope HN will not go this route.   

From the looks of it, they may be increasing FAP speed a bit.  Even still, unless there is extra bandwidth that they've not yet opened, it's likely that the entire service is going to slow down anyway, and even if they did have extra bandwidth I don't think it would be enough to make a real impact.  It's going to get bad no matter what they do, and the limitations of a small capacity system are going to rear their ugly head, unfortunately.  😞

I have a feeling, though, that school systems will take into account that not everyone has the kind of internet available to them that can fill in with something like this.  Or at least I hope they do.  Or maybe they can limit the kind of net teaching they do to mostly text instead of video.

In the end, simply having a connection to the outside world is the most important thing, of course.

maratsade

I'll be waiting for the irate posts from these people who want more speed and more bandwidth and don't understand how satellite broadband works. They're going to be angry as all get out and will be coming out in droves to throw even bigger tantrums when the whole network slows down and no one can get anything done. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

This is not aimed anybody.

It might be time to take vacation to a private island. The only place safe from all the lack of common sense.

maratsade

A private island sounds awesome!  EDIT: I could totally live the panda life there. Eat for 18 hours, sleep the rest of the time.