Internet not working, please help.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adrian1
Freshman

Internet not working, please help.

I really hope im doing this right and putting this in the right place. We are having trouble with our internet not working and are getting very frustrated. Ive read some posts on here in the past and it sounds like the best way to get results. I have a hughes ht2000w modem (think thats what its called). It has been acting up a lot over the last week or so, so i keep resetting it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. The last couple of days it doesnt at all. I called the customer service line and the lady told me it was due to weather. Today the sky is clear and blue and it still wont work. State code says 12.7.2-- A transmit problem has occured. The power, recieve, lan and wi-fi lights are lit. System and transmit lights are out. Satellite recieve signal strength was reading 54 when i talked to customer service. It is now reading 58-59. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not but it is driving us nuts as well so ill just throw it out here, we are constantly getting kicked off the wifi. Even when it is working "normal" . We will have to turn the wifi off and back on a few times on our devices until it works. And sometimes during the nighttime bonus hours or whatever they are called it takes up to a couple of hours for it to work. This has always been that way and only happens when we are on our home wifi so i dont know if it is related to the problem we have now, or a seperate issue. We had an issue with the service not working before and called the help line and they tried to charge us $120 to have a tech come out. After telling her that we had only just installed the service 5 or 6 months ago she talked to her supervisor and said they could possibly drop it to $60. When i told her that id get back to her because that still seemed unacceptable she agreed to send someone for nothing. But we had to wait days for him to get here. Took him 5 minutes to fix. Ok, im sorry ill stop here and wait til i hear back. Its just been a very frustrating year with this internet but ive read positive things here so im very hopeful.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brooke
Alum

Hello Adrian1, welcome to the Community and thank you for reaching out! You've come to the right place and the information you provided thus far has been helpful for me. I pulled up your account and ran a diagnostic and see a bad alignment with the dish, but the error code you're receiving could also be related to a modem problem. To address your concerns, I've dispatched a technician to replace your modem and radio, and to re-point your dish. 

The technicians have a busy schedule right now with the holidays, so I was not able to put you into a specific time slot. You will receive a call to the number we have on your account from a technician to schedule your appointment. To accommodate this, I've placed two weeks worth of credit onto your next bill. 

I hope this takes care of everything!

-Brooke

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Adrian1

I don't personally know what's causing the issue, as it could be a number of things.  I only wanted to let you know to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that the reps have the ability to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  Some people unplug their modem when they aren't using the service, so I thought it important to make sure you knew to leave it plugged in.  It would also be a good idea to make sure that the coax cable connector at the back of the HughesNet modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  Hopefully they'll reply tomorrow (Friday).  🙂 

Thank you for letting me know. Everything is still hooked up. I left it that way just in case it decided to start working again.

It is now working very slowly and has a new state code. 24.1.1-- download throttled. Satellite recieve signal strength is 68. It is a clear blue sky outside.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That state code means you've exceeded your data allowance and your speed will be throttled until your data resets. 

Edit: check http://192.168.0.1/ -- this will tell you if you're out of data.  

Oh ok. Yeah we run out of data pretty fast. Its back to not working again half blue sky and half light clouds. State code reads 12.7.2--A transmit problem has occurred. And the strength is at 61.

The strength may not necessarily be a problem with your link to the satellite, which could feasibly be an alignment problem. It could also mean a poor link from the satellite to the ground station as well.

What is the number to the right of Data IPGW when you go to this page? Should be something like "J2xxxyyyHNSIGWzzzz". Mainly interested in the xxxyyy part.

I should also add that you could be running out of data quicker than normal when there are connection issues because you're forcing the system to resend failed packets. If you're having to resend on every packet, you're essentially using at least twice the data that you should be.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Brooke
Alum

Hello Adrian1, welcome to the Community and thank you for reaching out! You've come to the right place and the information you provided thus far has been helpful for me. I pulled up your account and ran a diagnostic and see a bad alignment with the dish, but the error code you're receiving could also be related to a modem problem. To address your concerns, I've dispatched a technician to replace your modem and radio, and to re-point your dish. 

The technicians have a busy schedule right now with the holidays, so I was not able to put you into a specific time slot. You will receive a call to the number we have on your account from a technician to schedule your appointment. To accommodate this, I've placed two weeks worth of credit onto your next bill. 

I hope this takes care of everything!

-Brooke

Thank you all very much for your help. Brooke that is awesome ! Hopefully this does fix it all. Ill keep you posted.