Is all onsite tech support $125 ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kanzz
Freshman

Is all onsite tech support $125 ?

My internet went out 05/17. I called support, did the troubleshooting, and was ultimately advised that a technician would have to come to my house and fix it. Tech came 05/20 and repaired. I was not advised there would be a fee. 

48 hours later, my internet went down again. Same thing. Called support, went through the troubleshooting, and then - 

I was told there would be a $125 fee for the tech to come to my house!

Nope. I'm not doing it. And furthermore, I will not pay for the first tech visit if I'm billed for it.

Now researching other options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kanzz,

Upon taking a look into the account, I found that the bill generated on 5/27 for 230.75, due to the dispatch fee being originally attached. However, the agent you spoke with applied a credit on 5/25 of 136.88, so you were charged a total of 93.87, which is the same as previous months from what I'm seeing.  You can see the information regarding your bills here: hninfo.us/viewbill.

In regards to the email you received, it was an agent error and we want to apologize for any confusion. Any issues brought up in the community are normally handled in a community thread or in private messages.

Thanks,

Remy

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hang in there until the HughesNet staff on this site come back (EDIT: they are here M-F, approximately 9 to 6) and see your post.  Give them some time to investigate and see if they can give you a break.  

Good luck with your research, and remember that if you're still under contract, there's an early termination fee which varies depending on how many months are left in your subscription. 

kanzz wrote:

My internet went out 05/17. I called support, did the troubleshooting, and was ultimately advised that a technician would have to come to my house and fix it. Tech came 05/20 and repaired. I was not advised there would be a fee. 

48 hours later, my internet went down again. Same thing. Called support, went through the troubleshooting, and then - 

I was told there would be a $125 fee for the tech to come to my house!

Nope. I'm not doing it. And furthermore, I will not pay for the first tech visit if I'm billed for it.

Now researching other options.

Thank you. Fortunately, I'm no longer under contract. I think I might go with GotW3.

maratsade

Terrific, and good luck with your new ISP!  (EDIT: out of curiosity, I read a review of this service, and it doesn't sound all that good (https://servicereviews.org/review/gotw3-internet/), but I imagine YMMV, like with every ISP. 

I'm sure you know this, but cancellation can only be done by phone, 866-347-3292. Wait times may be long, so you may want to try in the morning, as they're likely to be less busy. You can also try 877-329-1403.

Either way, plan for long waits.

Thank you for the link to reviews. The best part about GotW3 is there's no contract. So, I can opt out any time. The person who sells this service in my area is someone with whom I have many mutual friends, including some of my fam. He has provided them with good service. He demonstrated the service at my house a few days ago and I was impressed. With HughesNet, I get buffering on NetFlix. There was none of that with GotW3 while running NetFlix on 2 TVs at the same time. Web pages responded faster, too. I've about talked myself into giving it a try. 

maratsade

Since you have extra knowledge about the service and you've researched it and even tested it, it couldn't hurt to give it a try, since you can stop the service at any time. I really hope it works well for you. 

kanzz wrote:

Thank you for the link to reviews. The best part about GotW3 is there's no contract. So, I can opt out any time. The person who sells this service in my area is someone with whom I have many mutual friends, including some of my fam. He has provided them with good service. He demonstrated the service at my house a few days ago and I was impressed. With HughesNet, I get buffering on NetFlix. There was none of that with GotW3 while running NetFlix on 2 TVs at the same time. Web pages responded faster, too. I've about talked myself into giving it a try. 

Me too! Thanks. Living in the country shouldn't mean "lower quality / higher cost", but that seems to be the rule. For now.  

maratsade

I have the same issue with Verizon wireless, in that it works just fine in urban areas but in my rural area, not so much.  I think it's not really their fault, though, more the fault of the local population. They refuse to install more towers.  Luddites. Smiley Happy

Still, it's annoying, though I do my best to stay positive, because I like the open spaces.  

EDIT: And HN actually works just fine for me. 

@maratsade wrote:

I have the same issue with Verizon wireless, in that it works just fine in urban areas but in my rural area, not so much.  I think it's not really their fault, though, more the fault of the local population. They refuse to install more towers.  Luddites. 🙂

Still, it's annoying, though I do my best to stay positive, because I like the open spaces. 

I had terrible wireless phone reception at my place for years until I finally caved and bought a booster. Makes all the difference.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just going to throw this out there...

Hughesnet does have data caps, and there is congestion on the network.  Wireless ISP's have the same problem as well, though, not nearly as badly as a satellite ISP.  After looking at GotW3, it appears, they have some interesting disclaimers and policies.  They don't list what will actually trigger their FAP, but it does exist, and they do traffic shaping as well, and admit to it, at the least.

https://www.gotw3.com/fair-use-policy

https://www.gotw3.com/what-is-throttling

The way it looks, depending on which carrier you actually get thrown on, and how often you stream, or game, or anything, really, will decide how it works.

Let us know how it does work out for you over the course of time!  I was/am looking at a secondary ISP, mostly for gaming, but GOTW3 basically says "nope, you aren't allowed to do that on "our" network".  It might work great for a few days, then go to entirely useless after that till the next billing period.  Benefit is, no contract, downside is huge initial cost, and monthly fee of $100 for "rural".

As far as the service, yes, a truck roll is $125, however, I am rather positive that they have a labor warranty...  Red flags should be going up on the installer/technician that was last out, and a different one sent to inspect/audit the previous work without charges to you.

I would encourage you, since you are at least out of contract, to see if they will issue a service charge-free visit, and possible credits towards the last "repair".  

Thank you for all this info. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll do more research before I commit to GotW3, for sure. 
I agree that the service should have a warranty. 48 hours and the same problem? They should have been the ones suggesting a free follow-up visit without me having to ask for it, let alone them denying it. I'll try calling them again. 

kanzz,

I see it's your first post, welcome to the Community! I was able to pull up your attached HughesNet account, and I see that you spoke with an agent today that was able to waive the previous dispatch fee for you. That's great! 

In addition, upon looking through your services themselves, I saw that everything seems to be currently operational. You are out of data, however, and I added 3GB as a one-time courtesy. Are you still experiencing the same issue? If you aren't currently, please reach out and let us know if the same issue returns. We'd be more than happy to help!

Thanks,

Remy

@Remy wrote:

kanzz,

I see it's your first post, welcome to the Community! I was able to pull up your attached HughesNet account, and I see that you spoke with an agent today that was able to waive the previous dispatch fee for you. That's great! 

In addition, upon looking through your services themselves, I saw that everything seems to be currently operational. You are out of data, however, and I added 3GB as a one-time courtesy. Are you still experiencing the same issue? If you aren't currently, please reach out and let us know if the same issue returns. We'd be more than happy to help!

Thanks,

Remy

Sunday evening, i noticed that all the lights on my modem were on and my internet was working. How? It's a mystery to me. My guess is that I have faulty equipment that will probably do this again.

I do important volunteer work for my high school alumni association and cannot have an unreliable internet. 

Question: Why did my bill increase by $43.01 this month? 

Let's continue this by email, please. You have that info.  

Thanks

maratsade

Butting in to say they communicate on this site via private message, not email, so be sure to check your private messages. 

kanzz wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Butting in to say they communicate on this site via private message, not email, so be sure to check your private messages. 

kanzz wrote:

Thank you! 

I received an email from them fairly quickly - BUT - it didn't answer the question I asked. Instead, they said, "We have received your email inquiring about your bill. I see that you called us yesterday regarding this and the last agent already credited the amount so you will not get any charge for a tech fee. I really hope this helps! " 

I did not email them about this, so I'm assuming their email was in response to my post here. smh

Seriously? 

GabeU

@kanzz wrote:

I received an email from them fairly quickly - BUT - it didn't answer the question I asked.  

It's possible that, per your request to converse via email, the rep(s) here arranged for email support to reach out to you.

maratsade

Hmm, could be.  In the past, the mods here only communicate via the PM system on this site.  But maybe it's like @GabeU  said, that they forwarded your request to a different system.   i hope you get an answer for the question you did ask. 

@kanzz wrote:

I did not email them about this, so I'm assuming their email was in response to my post here. smh

Seriously? 

kanzz,

Upon taking a look into the account, I found that the bill generated on 5/27 for 230.75, due to the dispatch fee being originally attached. However, the agent you spoke with applied a credit on 5/25 of 136.88, so you were charged a total of 93.87, which is the same as previous months from what I'm seeing.  You can see the information regarding your bills here: hninfo.us/viewbill.

In regards to the email you received, it was an agent error and we want to apologize for any confusion. Any issues brought up in the community are normally handled in a community thread or in private messages.

Thanks,

Remy

Thank you very much.

@Remy wrote:

kanzz,

Thanks,

Remy

Well. Wouldn't you know it? My HughesNet is down again. I'm so fed up with this. 

@kanzz wrote:

Thank you very much.

@Remy wrote:

kanzz,

Thanks,

Remy