Is the system currently down?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olympicfarmer
Freshman

Is the system currently down?

Woke up to no system, transmit, or receive lights on the modem. Unplugged it for five minutes, plugged it back in- same thing.

The last time this happened turned out to be a system outage.

I can’t find any place on this website that simply states whether or not the system is up and running. Is this happening to anyone else or just me?

And don’t say it’s because it’s raining- we’ve have 3.8” since Thursday afternoon and the modem stayed lit and functioned throughout. Speeds remain terrible as always, but it was at least functioning.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Good morning olympicfarmer,

Thanks for posting and providing all this information, it helps. I just ran diagnostics and despite the weather at your gateway being fine, I'm unable to communicate with your modem. Let's replace it and see if we can get you back online. I'm shipping you a complimentary modem, please expect it in a few days. Here are instructions on how to replace your modem.  You can use the box in which the new modem arrives to return the old one; there's a return label in the outer pouch.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

I owe you a very big "Thank You"

The modem arrived today, so we are back up and running.  It set itself up automatically, and appears to be working just fine.

My wife sincerely appreciates having our connection back for Xmas.  I hope you enjoy a wondeful holiday.  

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The system's working for me.  You may need to call/chat with customer service to see what's going on. 

@olympicfarmer wrote:
Woke up to no system, transmit, or receive lights on the modem. Unplugged it for five minutes, plugged it back in- same thing.

The last time this happened turned out to be a system outage.

I can’t find any place on this website that simply states whether or not the system is up and running. Is this happening to anyone else or just me?

Thanks. In my experience I get a faster response from the community than from the customer service line! And it’s Saturday, so I have low hopes.
But I’ll give them a call, thanks!
maratsade

I would recomment the chat, at least to find out if there's an outage.  The mods here will be able to run remote diagnostics on Monday for you, but for now, you could at least see whether there's any kind of outage in your area.   

No internet means no chat. Our cell signal is virtually zero up here in the mountains. It’s a miracle I can even see this page!
maratsade

Oh, that stinks.  I wish we had a system status page on the community....

Edit: Downdetector shows outages, and one of them looks large (ish), near Wichita, KS. 

GabeU

@olympicfarmer 

If the outage is still happening...

Preferably with a LAN cable connected device, can you get to this modem page?  If so...

1.  What do you see listed for a State Code in the System Summary box near the top of the page. 

2.  What do you see listed for the Satellite Receive Signal Strength in the WAN Info box on the bottom left of the page?

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ve plugged in an Ethernet cable to a laptop, and tried going to 192.168.0.1 but the page says “this site can’t be reached” and “192.168.0.1 refused to connect”

Is there a different address to type in to get to the modem itself?

Thanks in advance.
GabeU

@olympicfarmer 

Unfortunately, that does go to the modem itself.  But, there is another way that you may be able to get the page with the info.

Try either http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/ or http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage.  If either one of those work, click on System Status at the top of the page to go to the page with the info.  

If you normally connect to the modem via WiFi, you can try that too.  The LAN cable connection is usually requested due to it being the most basic, direct access, but you can still try the other.  

If you still can't access the modem pages, try power cycling the HughesNet modem.  To do so, unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack, wait for at least thirty seconds, then plug it back in.  Then wait five minutes for the modem to be as fully back up as it can be under the circumstances, then try to access the modem page again.  

In reality, it's even possible that the power cycle will fix the problem and you'll have access again, but chances are it won't.

Thanks for the help, but customer service has told me a few things:
1. It’s been raining (lightly) over the gateway at Roseburg, OR, so they can’t get information from the gateway. I find this doubtful, since it rains in Oregon every single day.
2. They say it’s not a hardware issue on my end. The modems trying to talk to the satellite, but light rain over Roseburg, etc.
3. Cycling the modem didn’t do anything. It would also be a truly unique fault for the modem to power up, for the WiFi to work, but have zero system connection.
4. Since it’s achieving just enough signal for them to see my modem, but not enough to even light up the system light, something must be down at the gateway.
5. Apparently a few other customers have called in with the same issue, so that strengthens the case that it’s not just my hardware.
6. But again, there was light rain over Roseburg, so I need to wait until that clears up and call them back.

It sure seems like the gateway went down and they don’t want to just say that. I’d relax and wait it out if they’d just state the problem.

And if a light rain blocks the signal- it’s a miracle that we must be witnessing Roseburg, Oregon’s first ever precipitation.

Thanks for your attempts to help.

Good morning olympicfarmer,

Thanks for posting and providing all this information, it helps. I just ran diagnostics and despite the weather at your gateway being fine, I'm unable to communicate with your modem. Let's replace it and see if we can get you back online. I'm shipping you a complimentary modem, please expect it in a few days. Here are instructions on how to replace your modem.  You can use the box in which the new modem arrives to return the old one; there's a return label in the outer pouch.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I have really mixed feelings here.

When I first called two days ago, I asked specifically if they could read a fault message from my modem. He said no, because of the light rain over Roseburg.

But when I just now spoke to tech support, he said they could always see the fault message, but wouldn’t confirm it until the gateway had sunny skies.

Now it’s three days later, xmas is here, and we’ll have no internet all week while I wait for the replacement modem - that they could have shipped on Friday!

The posts in this community all share a general frustration. Mine is from a lack of straightforward diagnostics from the first call, which has resulted in a very un-merry Xmas.

Thank you for sending the replacement. I just sincerely wish the very first call (that provides the exact same info) would have put it in shipping so we’re not totally cut off over the holiday.

Must Hughesnet users do so because of living in remote locations, so it’s a vital utility.
GabeU

@olympicfarmer 

Unfortunately, phone support is often very basic, and some agents may not have the experience or knowledge that other agents in the same department do, so while one may know where to look or how to look at more involved areas of the modem, others may not.  The phone reps also have a tendency to use terms that may not always translate or be correct for the particular situation.  Though I normally don't like to speculate, the fault message the person was referring to may just have been a message showing the present inability to communicate with the modem.  The reps here, however, like Liz, are corporate reps and much more experienced.  They know exactly where and how to look, as well as decipher what they're seeing.  

Your frustration with not having internet around Christmas is very understandable.  😞

I owe you a very big "Thank You"

The modem arrived today, so we are back up and running.  It set itself up automatically, and appears to be working just fine.

My wife sincerely appreciates having our connection back for Xmas.  I hope you enjoy a wondeful holiday.  

Wonderful! You're very welcome. Thanks for letting me know. I hope you had a great Christmas as well!

Thanks,

Liz