cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

Junior

Re: Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

Liz,

One more update. Was having trouble doing anything on pc so ran more tests. Still somewhat overcast here but no rain or other precip, wind, etc.

Worse than ever for some reason. The test took a very long time to complete,. Got 181kbps and 292kbps downloads and strangely, a 1.3Mbps upload which is about average for this system so far. Yes, correct, kbps. Hopefully this changes when weather clears completely but even at that I have never had this problem or speeds with the worst weather on the Gen4 system. Not sure why that would be.

-2018-3-27 JEANNE H Speed Test new modem.png

Distinguished Professor IV

@deserthaven

It's possible that your speeds will improve.  Being that it's a new modem, it may very well have to update its software to become current.  There was a sizable update very recently and it may presently be in the process of downloading and/or installing that update.  Hopefully your speeds will improve soon.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

It's possible that your speeds will improve.  Being that it's a new modem, it may very well have to update its software to become current.  There was a sizable update very recently and it may presently be in the process of downloading and/or installing that update.  Hopefully your speeds will improve soon.  

Gabe,

Thanks for the info. When he swapped it out it took many minutes so I'm assuming it did all of the updating then, but it's possible there's more to come. Oh, just remembered, too. The tech ran a speedtest, I believe on Ookla, before he left and got around 11Mbps download.  I'll watch it periodically over the next 24 hours and maybe the weather will clear as well. I haven't tried the wifi on this one yet but maybe I should? I don't want to mess any stats up though if indeed that would. I'm still running the glasswire for data usage and by far the speedtests are the biggest user of data.

@deserthaven

You can certainly try the WiFi, but the only thing that might become a bit of a pain is disabling it every time you run a speed test, as when speed tests are run they should be done with the WiFi disabled.  This makes sure that nothing is sapping any bandwidth through WiFi during the speed tests.  

And the speed tests definitely use up a lot of data, that's for sure.  Those Ookla (speedtest.net) tests can be even worse, depending on the speed.  I've seen that site chew through 70-80MB per test.  It's crazy.  That's one of the reasons, among others, that Ookla's not recommended for diagnostic speed testing like this.  But, really, I wouldn't run more than a couple more tests before the night's out, and that should be plenty for tonight.  Maybe one or two download tests and one upload test around the same time.  Then, maybe try a couple more tomorrow to see if the speed has picked back up at all, which I'm hoping is the case.   

Oh, and to answer a question you asked a couple of posts back, yes, that link will always show all of the tests, including the most recent ones you've run.  That's one of the reasons that it's requested to create an account and run the tests under that account in the speed test instructions.  It keeps all of the tests in one place, making it much easier for the reps and engineers to look at them.  Without running the tests under a user created account people would have to post a link to, or picture of, each test.  Eek!  What a pain that would be!  Smiley Tongue  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

You can certainly try the WiFi, but the only thing that might become a bit of a pain is disabling it every time you run a speed test, as when speed tests are run they should be done with the WiFi disabled.  This makes sure that nothing is sapping any bandwidth through WiFi during the speed tests.  

And the speed tests definitely use up a lot of data, that's for sure.  Those Ookla (speedtest.net) tests can be even worse, depending on the speed.  I've seen that site chew through 70-80MB per test.  It's crazy.  That's one of the reasons, among others, that Ookla's not recommended for diagnostic speed testing like this.  But, really, I wouldn't run more than a couple more tests before the night's out, and that should be plenty for tonight.  Maybe one or two download tests and one upload test around the same time.  Then, maybe try a couple more tomorrow to see if the speed has picked back up at all, which I'm hoping is the case.   

Oh, and to answer a question you asked a couple of posts back, yes, that link will always show all of the tests, including the most recent ones you've run.  That's one of the reasons that it's requested to create an account and run the tests under that account in the speed test instructions.  It keeps all of the tests in one place, making it much easier for the reps and engineers to look at them.  Without running the tests under a user created account people would have to post a link to, or picture of, each test.  Eek!  What a pain that would be!  Smiley Tongue  

This is odd, to me anyway. Heading to bed but decided to run another test. The one on the myaccount page on Hughesnet showed 28.23Mbps down and 1.80 upload, and immediately after I did the testmy.net test and got 1.4Mbps down and the speedtest.net showed 11.02 down and .068 up. These were within as close as possible with only the loading of page time to separate the tests. I'm positive it's not running at 28 by the way things buffer.

Another thing maybe you can help with. I cannot get the wifi turned off on this modem and it won't let me change the password or name of the network, etc. When I log in with Admin, which appears to be the default password, then try to make any changes, one at a time, and hit save, it just sits there like the other one did, saying "applying changes, please wait" with a progress bar below sitting at 0%. When I leave it after a while it will go back to the log in page. Have tried numerous times. The previous modem did this but it did initially let me change the passwords and name of the network. Is it because it's not getting a good enough signal or what? So as of right now the wifi is still on, although there is nothing anywhere connecting to it as I have nothing to connect except my laptop which is wired to the LAN connection. There are no close neighbors, etc. I'm not sure how anything else could connect from somewhere, unless hacked somehow. (?)

I could try once more to reboot the modem but since this one has been restarted already three times today I'm not sure that would help and per Liz's request I'm going to try to not do that for any reason for a week or so at least so she can pull some data from it.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Good morning deserthaven,

Since you've already rebooted today you can go ahead and do it again if you want. I'm not sure why the wifi settings aren't saving, so you can try a reboot. After today, I'd like to keep that modem on for at least 5+ days. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted
Junior

@Lizwrote:

Good morning deserthaven,

Since you've already rebooted today you can go ahead and do it again if you want. I'm not sure why the wifi settings aren't saving, so you can try a reboot. After today, I'd like to keep that modem on for at least 5+ days. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Liz and Gabe,

Okay, after many more hours of using and testing and reading, etc., and a long story of data, I think, at least with the new modem/router, things are probably working as expected (although I still cannot get the modem to let me turn of the wifi which I really need to do as I don't like it broadcasting all of the time). My old Win 7 laptop, connected with 2.4 and 5 both is running tests of 28-32 Mbps. It's a much smaller/slower computer, technically, than the brand new HP with Win 10. I have gone in and temporarily disabled my firewall on Win 10 and retested but still no better. I can't connect my old laptop via LAN yet as the screen is broken and it has to be HDMI connect to a tv to use, so wifi the only option I have right now on it.

With those speeds, though, if correct, it would appear at this point that the system is working. It is still overcast here today but no rain.

Any suggestions for fixing the WIN 10 computer to work with this system? I don't want to as I don't really know how but I do have a Win 7 disc I can use to install it on this laptop instead of win 10 if necessary but surely there are win 10 users out there running the Hughes systems and it's working?

Any help is appreciated. If you go to testmy.net results you'll see, I think the 31.9 Mbps on there, which was the Win 7 pc using wifi connection at about 25 feet from the modem.

Junior

Hahaha, might have to scrap my previously posted enlightenments as now the Win 7 pc not testing out above 8 either. Will have to do more troubleshooting and testing back and forth still to see what's up, but I do suspect Win 10 has something else eating up bandwidth but have the delivery optimization off and what I can control on updates is controlled but they cannot be turned off completely in this 10 Home version. ) :

@deserthaven

I don't mean to ask what might be a stupid question, but you're absolutely sure that when you're trying to disable the WiFi you're doing with a LAN cable connected computer, NOT a WiFi connected computer, right?  The reason I ask is that, what you're describing is what would happen if you were trying to disable it with a WiFi connected computer.  Again, this may sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask it.  It's also VERY odd that two modems would be having very similar problems when trying to disable the WiFi.  

If you go on the main page of the WiFi and uncheck SSID Enable for just the 2.4GHz radio, then click Save Settings, what happens?  Only the SSID Enable box for the 2.4GHz radio. 

BTW, if it seems to complete, but then refreshes to an error page, just go back in and see if the settings stuck.  For some reason, when I do it now it's giving me an error page rather than refreshing back to the WiFi Settings page.  I don't know why it's doing this, but the settings have still changed and stuck when I go back in and check them.  

Edit:  You're absolutely sure that your new desktop is connected via LAN cable and not WiFi, right?  The reason I ask is that many new desktops have the ability to connect via WiFi.  If you had to enter a password to connect your new desktop it's connected via WiFi, not the LAN cable (a LAN cable connection doesn't need a password), and this would explain the problem you're encountering when trying to disable the WiFi.  Click your connection on the lower right of the screen (in the taskbar) and see what it says, as in whether it's an Ethernet or WiFi connection.    

Capture.JPG

Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

I don't mean to ask what might be a stupid question, but you're absolutely sure that when you're trying to disable the WiFi you're doing with a LAN cable connected computer, NOT a WiFi connected computer, right?  The reason I ask is that, what you're describing is what would happen if you were trying to disable it with a WiFi connected computer.  Again, this may sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask it.  It's also VERY odd that two modems would be having very similar problems when trying to disable the WiFi.  

If you go on the main page of the WiFi and uncheck SSID Enable for just the 2.4GHz radio, then click Save Settings, what happens?  Only the SSID Enable box for the 2.4GHz radio. 

BTW, if it seems to complete, but then refreshes to an error page, just go back in and see if the settings stuck.  For some reason, when I do it now it's giving me an error page rather than refreshing back to the WiFi Settings page.  I don't know why it's doing this, but the settings have still changed and stuck when I go back in and check them.  

Edit:  You're absolutely sure that your new desktop is connected via LAN cable and not WiFi, right?  The reason I ask is that many new desktops have the ability to connect via WiFi.  If you had to enter a password to connect your new desktop it's connected via WiFi, not the LAN cable (a LAN cable connection doesn't need a password), and this would explain the problem you're encountering when trying to disable the WiFi.  Click your connection on the lower right of the screen (in the taskbar) and see what it says, as in whether it's an Ethernet or WiFi connection.    

Capture.JPG

Hadn't had time to reply and a little short on time now, but....yes LAN connected only computer. BUT, when I used CHROME to change settings on modem it worked! I guess something in Firefox is stopping it? It appears to be saving but never does, but in Chrome it saved quickly. So the wifi is off and as of now the indicator light on front of modem is also off.  I did use the wifi for a bit yesterday running tests on other computer and occasionally it worked fabulously, then tanked in both firefox and chrome. I thought perhaps win 7 better. Think I posted those thoughts already. Anyway, I also saw a forum where Win 10 uses 20% of your bandwith by default and found a long way to go about changing that and I did that. Don't know if it helped but this morning I was testing at 16 (once) and proceeded to download several very short youtube videos for the kids, 11 to 30mb files, but was doing 3-4 at a time, until 10:45 when it suddenly started buffering even just one at a time and has continued to do so, it's not noon CST.

EDIT: Oh, per the wifi setting: I ended up unchecking the advanced tab one that clicks the whole wifi thing off, not just the SSID. Figured if it worked that was fine (don't guess that messes anything else up?) and then if and when I want to use it will go to Chrome and log in and enable again.