cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

Re: Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

Hi deserthaven,

Thank you for the info on your latest speed tests. That is interesting about the discrepancies between the browsers. I was discussing this with Amanda, and she noted that browser addons/extensions may play a part in this. I'd try doing the same experiment you did, but in incognito browser windows with absolutely no addons. 

I just checked your diagnostics and I'm not seeing anything abnormal, but I would like to check up on this again at the end of the week to see if that keeps up.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Distinguished Professor III

@deserthavenwrote:

Started having trouble watching a short video, buffereing terrible every several seconds, so took another couple of testsaround 1:24 pm Sun 4-1.    Win 7: Firefox 58.2   Chrome 29.3,  Win 10: Firefox 2.9 Chrome 16.4. 

An idea.  When you use your Windows 7 machine you can still sign in, but use "Location 7" as the identifier, or some other identifier that would let you know that those specific results were from that computer.   

With that said, due to it using the same Connection ID I was able to find that 58.2Mbps result, even though you weren't signed in.  It's most definitely a glitch.  Why it gave you that result is odd.  It should have been more around the mid 20Mbps range.  I've seen glitches before with testmy tests, but this one is really odd.  Anyway, here's the test graph from that 58.2Mbps test.  The discrepancy is easy to see, as the highest it got was 30.84Mbps, so an average result of 58.15Mbps?.  A head scratcher, for sure.  I'm contemplating asking on testmy's forum why it might do something like this.  

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

@Lizwrote:

Hi deserthaven,

Thank you for the info on your latest speed tests. That is interesting about the discrepancies between the browsers. I was discussing this with Amanda, and she noted that browser addons/extensions may play a part in this. I'd try doing the same experiment you did, but in incognito browser windows with absolutely no addons. 

I just checked your diagnostics and I'm not seeing anything abnormal, but I would like to check up on this again at the end of the week to see if that keeps up.

Liz,

Thanks for checking on things.

I just ran four tests, two on each laptop, each in an incognito window on both browsers. Looks much more reasonable. Usable speeds if it's accurate. Barely into 60% of advertised but usable. It almost looks like the new modem made a difference and like Gabe said speeds picked up after it had downloaded/updated everything.....or just coincidence. I guess time will tell. I'm guessing most other problems are congestion from all the users. I will start watching data used this week since the reset every day will end tomorrow I believe. Here's the screenshot of the four tests this morning.

Home is Win 10 pc using FF, Work is Win 10 using Chrome, Location 7 is Win 7 laptop using FF and location 8 is Win 7 using Chrome. All pretty close.

Thanks to all!

Screenshot-2018-4-3 JEANNE H icognito.png

Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthavenwrote:

Started having trouble watching a short video, buffereing terrible every several seconds, so took another couple of testsaround 1:24 pm Sun 4-1.    Win 7: Firefox 58.2   Chrome 29.3,  Win 10: Firefox 2.9 Chrome 16.4. 

An idea.  When you use your Windows 7 machine you can still sign in, but use "Location 7" as the identifier, or some other identifier that would let you know that those specific results were from that computer.   

With that said, due to it using the same Connection ID I was able to find that 58.2Mbps result, even though you weren't signed in.  It's most definitely a glitch.  Why it gave you that result is odd.  It should have been more around the mid 20Mbps range.  I've seen glitches before with testmy tests, but this one is really odd.  Anyway, here's the test graph from that 58.2Mbps test.  The discrepancy is easy to see, as the highest it got was 30.84Mbps, so an average result of 58.15Mbps?.  A head scratcher, for sure.  I'm contemplating asking on testmy's forum why it might do something like this.  

Gabe,

Replied to Liz with logged in tests in incognito browser. Check that post.

Thanks for all of your help!

Highlighted
Professor

"I just ran four tests, two on each laptop, each in an incognito window on both browsers. Looks much more reasonable"

Glad it worked for you, @deserthaven!  I see differences no matter how I test (even in incognito), but I'm sure it has to do with browser-related things. 

Hi deserthaven,

Thank you for letting me know, that sounds good. I let Amanda know she was right. LOL I'll run more diagnostics Friday. If anything odd comes up, please let me know.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

For months I have been experiencing the same issues you have mentioned.  When I first switched from Gen4 to Gen5 the speed was greatly improved but now it has slowed to a crawl.  I was also told to use myinternet.net for the speed test and of course it stated 33.6 Mbps but when I used the Hughesnet speed test I was getting .76 Mbps DOWNLOAD which was less than the 2.36 Mbps UPLOAD speed.  I requested a tech to check my home installation and was told it would cost me.  To say I'm completely frustrated is putting it mildly.  What am I paying for?  I have tweaked both of my pc's the best way I could and still no results (driver updates, etc).  I even went to PCmatic to see if I could improve the performance to no avail.  Both pc's are not ancient to say the least.  I even bought my wife a new Dell and still the performance curse still follow us.  Today my case was finally sent to the next level of support (up to 5 days to respond).  I can hardly wait! 

Junior

@jcarrawrote:

For months I have been experiencing the same issues you have mentioned.  When I first switched from Gen4 to Gen5 the speed was greatly improved but now it has slowed to a crawl.  I was also told to use myinternet.net for the speed test and of course it stated 33.6 Mbps but when I used the Hughesnet speed test I was getting .76 Mbps DOWNLOAD which was less than the 2.36 Mbps UPLOAD speed.  I requested a tech to check my home installation and was told it would cost me.  To say I'm completely frustrated is putting it mildly.  What am I paying for?  I have tweaked both of my pc's the best way I could and still no results (driver updates, etc).  I even went to PCmatic to see if I could improve the performance to no avail.  Both pc's are not ancient to say the least.  I even bought my wife a new Dell and still the performance curse still follow us.  Today my case was finally sent to the next level of support (up to 5 days to respond).  I can hardly wait! 

Don't know where you are located and if we run off the same beam, etc, and I don't really care to try and understand all of that, but apparently there are some that are more problematic than others, or so it appears.

Overall I had faster speeds on Gen4 toward the end, or so it appeared. I'm learning that the speed tests aren't really a lot of help as I can test high but not be able to watch a short low quality video, and then the reverse will be true. Too many variables I suppose, nature of the beast. Frustrating, though, to be sure.

I will say that so far Liz has been helpful and is monitoring my situation. I'm sure they are quite busy and probably can only do so much. I guess maybe patience is the key.

When I did the Hughes speed test it almost consistently showed much higher speeds than the testmy.net and it was pretty clear I wasn't running at that, at least by performance standards in actual use.

tI may be that my inital modem/router that was installed wasn't working properly, as when the tech got here it would not broadcast any wifi signals. He replaced it and it still took a couple of days maybe for my speeds to come up. I lucked out in that I called the company that did my installation which was just a week or so after and he assured me that it should not be having these issues, so he got the okay to send someone back out the next day. That's when everything was checked out and then the modem replaced.

I agree that it's terribly frustrating and I don't think we as customers should have to do so much work and spend so much time to get half or more of what we were promised. Doesn't look like much can be done as far as that goes, but my advice at this point would be to stick with this help forum, in contact with Liz or Amanda and see what they can do. Hopefully it won't take too much more time to figure something out and arrive at an agreeable solution. Satellite broadband is just glitchy and annoying, in my experience, but for those of us with no other choices it is what it is. I do think companies need to be a bit more judicial in what they promise and advertise and what they deliver, even if it means to undersubscribe rather than over. Just my two cents+ worth.

Distinguished Professor III

@jcarra

I hope you find a solution through your phone correspondance.  Again, though, if you need still help with your service, as has been mentioned to you in the past, please create a new post in the Tech Support section.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi deserthaven,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. I ran diagnostics on your site and nothing out of the ordinary is showing up. Your download speed right now from your modem to the gateway is 20904.626 kb/sec. How are you finding your internet experience lately? Is there something in particular you're trying to do online that's proving difficult?

Thanks,
Liz