Modem/Router keeps rebooting

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regeone
New Poster

Modem/Router keeps rebooting

Since last night, our Internet is repeatedly going down.  It will stop working for several minutes, then the modem will reboot, then it will work for a little while (maybe several minutes), then it stops again and the process repeats.  Our Hughesnet Voice phone service goes down at the same time the Internet down.

I tried calling tech support this morning, but the call center is overwhelmed and they are not taking any calls.  I noticed that the connection was poor, even though the modem/router was working enough to at least place the call at that moment.

Is this a problem I can troubleshoot myself, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get any help from HughesNet for the foreseeable future?  My daughter and I are quarantined and have no other source of Internet, and we both need it for school and work.  Same for phone service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi Regeone,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for describing what's happening. To address your concerns I pulled up your account and sent a command to your modem. Please let me know if the constant rebooting persists.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Regeone wrote: 

Is this a problem I can troubleshoot myself, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get any help from HughesNet for the foreseeable future?  My daughter and I are quarantined and have no other source of Internet, and we both need it for school and work.  Same for phone service.

You'll need a rep to help.  When they get a chance, they will reply to start the process of getting you the help you need.  It can take up to a day for them to reply, but hopefully they will reply soon.  

@Liz @Damian 

Liz

Hi Regeone,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for describing what's happening. To address your concerns I pulled up your account and sent a command to your modem. Please let me know if the constant rebooting persists.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Regeone,

Just following up on your site, I ran diagnostics on the HughesNet equipment and I haven't seen any unusual reboots in nearly a week. Looking good from my end! I'll go ahead and close this thread, but if you have any other concerns, feel free to start a new one.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks, Liz.  The cycling/rebooting started tapering off the next day, less each day and it hasn't happened for a couple days now.  Still have no idea what caused the behavior.  Maybe it had something to do with the incredibly low bandwidth we've experienced lately (generally 120-180kbps download speed at my location)?  Thanks again for your help -- Chris

Just curious: Is the modem using a power strip, surge protector, or uninterruptible power supply? Or, is it plugged directly into the wall socket?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark, it's on a surge protector strip.  The current setup has worked pretty well for the past couple of years, since we upgraded to the current generation service and equipment.  The problem with unwanted rebooting was a completely new thing that seems to have resolved, although time will tell ...

If it recurs, you might consider plugging it directly into the wall. Power voltages can vary, and if there's a brownout or if power is considerabally unstable, a filtered strip may significantly degrade necessary voltages where it may not have enough power for it (and the dish, since it also powers it) to operate.

Even if power is 'dirty', it's still best to connect it directly to the wall. I believe there's enough filtering on the modem itself to handle it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks, Mark -- I'll try that if it happens again (although I will need to get a long extension cord, since my cabin doesn't have a lot of power outlets).  Maybe a coincidence, but the weather turned colder when this started happening, and I was using not only the main split-sytem inverter heat but also a couple of wall heaters, so there would have been a lot of cycling on and off of appliances.  That said, it's even colder now (blizzard going on outside), and it's not happening.  I appreciate the advice!

Hi folks,

Good thing I forgot to actually close this thread. LOL I appreciate hearing back from you Regeone, and I'm glad to see Mark's advice in here as well. If anything odd like that happens again, please let me know!

-Liz