Modem reboot daily

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fox12
Junior

Modem reboot daily

Is it uncommon to have to reboot the modem every day? 

I will be working on the computer, everything going fine. Then suddenly nothing will load. I check the modem and all the lights are on steady. I reboot and everything works again until the next day. Have started rebooting every night before going to bed and it's good until the next afternoon. Any harm to put it on a timer to reboot regularly? Or better to just wait until it quits working to reboot?  So far it has always worked after reboots. Is this a sign it's defective?
Thanks, have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi fox12,

Thank you for the details. Curious if changing your DNS server would make a difference. You could try switching to a Google DNS server at 8.8.8.8. Here are instructions on how to do so: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using As those instructions note, it would be a good idea to jot down the original DNS server address before changing it, in case you need to revert from the Google server. Please let me know if that does anything for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fox12 

Yes, that's uncommon.  You shouldn't need to frequently reboot it like that.  

The reps will likely want to run some remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything's amiss.  Hopefully one will reply soon.

Liz

Hi fox12,

Thanks for posting, that sounds curious. I checked your diagnostics and everything looks to be in working order. I also checked if there were any reports for any incidents in your area that could affect performance, but nothing lately.

Should be OK rebooting every day, but that shouldn't be necessary. 

When did you first notice this happening?

Does this happen across multiple browsers?

If you close and restart the browser, does that make a difference?

Does this happen across multiple devices?

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks for your response GabeU and Liz.
Liz, it's been going on for a couple of week at least. It happened 3 or 4 times then I just started rebooting every night.
The first couple of times it did it I thought it was my computer, so I cleared my cache, cookies, and history. That didn't help so I rebooted my computer. It didn't help, so I rebooted the modem and it started working. Always the same computer, we very seldom have more than 1 device online at a time. It only happened a couple of times since I started rebooting before I go to bed. I started doing that when I got up one morning at 5am to download a big update and the modem was stuck (not working) and I didn't want to wake the woman up to reboot it.
I will try not rebooting unless I have to and maybe get some times it does it.

Thanks for the effort. Very much appreciated.

Hi fox12,

Thank you for the details. Curious if changing your DNS server would make a difference. You could try switching to a Google DNS server at 8.8.8.8. Here are instructions on how to do so: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using As those instructions note, it would be a good idea to jot down the original DNS server address before changing it, in case you need to revert from the Google server. Please let me know if that does anything for you.

-Liz

Thanks Liz. I'll try that if it does it today. I didn't reboot last night and so far it's ok. It's usually late in the afternoon when it hangs up if it's going to. Today is not a good day to determine anything. Our area is total ice today, I am surprised it's working at all but so far it's good.
Have a great day, and thanks for your help..

Gotcha! Thank you and have a great weekend!

-Liz