Modem still not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cowgirl4life76
Freshman

Modem still not working

So they sent me a replacement modem and it is still doing the same thing. I plug it in and the power light comes on, then the bottom 4 lights come on for a few seconds, then the bottom 4 lights go off and the power light stays on for about 30 seconds then all lights go off and it starts that process all over. There is no connection at all! The modem/router just keeps cycling through the lights. I have checked all visual cables and connections and nothing is chewed or disrupted. I have not had internet for about a month now. This is ridiculous, and I am not planning on paying $95 to have them come fix the problem. I would rather cancel my service!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was meaning the nightmare of explaining what is going on and no one understanding on the phone my explanation that the router/modem is getting no signal at all. No one could understand what I was trying to say to them I truely appreciate them sending a tech, he changed the transmitter and it is still not getting any signal. He is trying another new modem/router. Still not getting a signal. He has tried 3 different routers and each one has done something different. He just keeps plugging away trying other things now. Ok, so the transmitter was bad was why the modem was getting no signal, and then once the transmitter was changed it wasn't getting a signal due to the dish had moved slightly. So if anyone ever experiences the modem cycling through the lights like that. It is a bad transmitter! Thank you hughesnet for finally getting my internet back up and running after a month without!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Sounds like the modem is not the issue. 

Apparently, but no one has been able to tell me what the lights going through this process means! They just want to have someone come out and charge me $95

maratsade

Yes, there's a fee for sending a tech out; it's not free.  I have no clue what else could be causing the issue -- I hope someone else here might have some ideas so you can troubleshoot the system.  

Hi Cowgirl4life76,

Thanks for reaching out again and providing an update. We have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your complimentary dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM.

The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you so much! It is definitely frustrating

When the modem does that. It means there is a short. Either in the coax,Ground block or radio...

Tech guy is out this morning, of course he said that is definetly a wiring issue! So he just changed all the wiring and the transmitter, still same thing going on. Now he is going to try and change the transmitter again. I believe he is baffled as well.I will keep you posted in case anyone ever goes through this nightmar with their service.

maratsade

Hopefully if others encounter similar issues and frustrations they will come here, post a well-mannered post , and will keep in mind the golden rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." 

The "nightmare with their service" includes them being kind and understanding and sending you a tech for free, saving you $95. They didn't have to do that. 

@gokartergo24 , you're an installer -- what else could be causing the OP's issues? Could it be her computer, software, hardware, etc.?

I was meaning the nightmare of explaining what is going on and no one understanding on the phone my explanation that the router/modem is getting no signal at all. No one could understand what I was trying to say to them I truely appreciate them sending a tech, he changed the transmitter and it is still not getting any signal. He is trying another new modem/router. Still not getting a signal. He has tried 3 different routers and each one has done something different. He just keeps plugging away trying other things now. Ok, so the transmitter was bad was why the modem was getting no signal, and then once the transmitter was changed it wasn't getting a signal due to the dish had moved slightly. So if anyone ever experiences the modem cycling through the lights like that. It is a bad transmitter! Thank you hughesnet for finally getting my internet back up and running after a month without!

Hi Cowgirl4life76,

Thank you for the updates, it's rare we get a play-by-play during the site visit! 😄 I'm sorry for the troubles you encountered trying to get help, I'm glad you found your way to the community. We're always here to assist, so please don't hesitate to reach out again if you have other concerns.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Cowgirl4life76 wrote:

So if anyone ever experiences the modem cycling through the lights like that. It is a bad transmitter!  

That was the cause in your instance.  A cycling modem can be caused by a few different things.  

I'm just glad they were able to get it fixed and get you back up and running.  🙂

Tech guy is out this morning, of course he said that is definetly a wiring issue! So he just changed all the wiring and the transmitter, still same thing going on. Now he is going to try and change the transmitter again. I believe he is baffled as well.I will keep you posted in case anyone ever goes through this nightmare with their service.