Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hopefully @Liz or @Amanda can get you situated, just for reference, try to use only the 25MB package for testing download speeds on Gen5 service, however I do agree, you do have a valid speed issue, hopefully engineering will also accept the smaller test files since your 25MB tests also show considerable slowdown.

For reference, you can view the test instructions at http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Outroute 7? Isn't that usually the 'backup' outroute on many beams?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

The gal at Hughes had me run multiple Combined tests that did smaller than 25 but you will also see I ran those also as I remember seeing elsewhere it is good to run 25MB.  Reason I did not always is the speed became so slow, downloading 25MB would not finish (lol).  So I had to run a smaller one just to get an idea of speed.  Which was bad.  grin.  TJ

I also ran the tests at the myhughesnet.com site which were also low low... 2Mbps for the two she had me do.

So I ran all sorts of tests that she asked me to do.

TJ

Hi macsociety,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! There are some speed test results in there we can use, I can escalate your case to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news to share or instructions.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz.  TJ

Also want to just note... other than emails and browsing the web, basic facebook, that is the only thing working for me.  Anything video, plain never starts.  I can visit youtube and try to watch a 144p low rez video, never even starts most the time and when it does, buffers out left and right.  Sorry, don't think they have lower rez than 144p <grin>.  So even with a speedtest right when my speed degrades, which is all day long, the speed may show 5Mbps down but... that should be fine to watch youtube 144p.  Does not happen.  So something else is off too.  Maybe my whole connection is so poor that non of this other than email and basic browsing will work until Hughes gets me fixed up.  TJ

Updated testmy.net.  Bad right now.  2Mbps down.  ;-(

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09302017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

TJ

Hi @Liz, do you happen to know if they did anything today?

Over the weekend Hughes left me a message to call today to the level 4 support (I think they called it) and I spoke with them this AM.  The gal I spoke with said she did something with the modem and asked me to run 3 speed tests from myhughesnet.com site.  All 3 were bad and all over the place.  Basically 2Mbps, 11Mbps, and 7Mbps.   She said something is off and she is escalating my info up higher than her, and said 2 to 3 days someone will call me.

Then I left and came back and I ran a testmy.net a couple time so far and all seems much better, although no one call me back so I wonder if just a fluke I am getting better speeds right now and will die again soon or...

Anyway, I am on the same settings as before and worried about that Outroute ID 7 as someone said that is like a backup one and is slower or something.

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID8
Beam ID55
Outroute ID7

Any words of wisdom would be nice.

Is someone still going to call me or did they do something to make my speeds better?  Maybe it is a fluke right now and things seem speedier.

TJ

Update.... scratch last message. Speeds are horrendous again. Actually, even slower that slower than molasses. Last test 25MB download took forever and a day to take. 1.2Mbps.... Sure hope to hear from Hughes soon. Can't even browse web barely. Took many attempts to just send this message!

When I did briefly have faster speeds, I was excited!  Hoping that when things get ironed out, this will be the norm and will be nice to have Hughes again! (I was a past customer)

TJ

@Liz.....

Things are at least usable this AM for basic web browsing.  Yesterday was really bad.  1.2 Mbps download speed and sporatic at that made for a tough day.  Could not even get onto the Hughes community to send my message was agravating for sure.  This AM at least I can get online.  I work from home so need at least web browsing and email or I am out of commission.

Would be nice to at least hear back my messages have been received and I am in some que to be looked at.  

Hoping for the best.... I have worked in tech support before, was my main profession, so always polite to those when I talk to them on the phone.  It is nice though when it seems someone is working on it and they are keeping us abreast of the "whats going on".  Would rather know it is an issue and may take some time to fix versus being left in the dark guessing that.

So hoping to see a good customer service experience with Hughes with my issue.

TJ

Hi macsociety,

Just got out of a meeting regarding addressing slow speeds, no news yet we can share. We will check in with them again next week, but once we do have an update or need additional information, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

OK, thank you. TJ

Just came here to post about the same issue...I'll piggy back on your thread because I am in the same area and same beam etc as you.

I had my own thread after I signed up because I was getting slow evening speeds and good speeds most other times, Liz gave me the same response and that they would let me know as soon as they hear something.....that was over a month ago.

Speeds were actually pretty good and still usuable in the evenings, until a little over a week ago, now as you are experiencing, they're totally UNusable.  I'm using my phone as a hotspot in order to post this....

Can a moderator give us something to go on here? If this is what we can expect with Hughes then it leaves us no choice but to cancel service and go with something else.

My results, note the evening speeds.....

http://testmy.net/quickstats/timandjodi

Looking at my test history....things were fine until Sept. 23rd, after that something changed.

Hi timandjodi, 

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

I just ANOTHER upload/download test....A whopping .093 on 2mb download and .023 upload...i can varely get around!! And of course Engineering still has not called like i was told they would,this is the third time in  a week. We have a local Internet provider that i am going to check with,if they can get me service here i'm dumping hughesnet. Not paying for such lousy service anymore.

I just ANOTHER upload/download test....A whopping .093 on 2mb download and .023 upload...i can barely get around!! And of course Engineering still has not called like i was told they would,this is the third time in  a week. We have a local Internet provider that i am going to check with,if they can get me service here i'm dumping Hughesnet. Not paying for such lousy service anymore.

Tonight's speed is the worse so far to date for me... well that I can remember.... and well other than some tests that timed out or the service halted or something and the test stopped.  But tonight I am getting 300K speed.  Yes I said k... not Mbps.  😉

TJ

Got you beat 80kbps down 10 kbps up