cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Re: New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Update.... scratch last message. Speeds are horrendous again. Actually, even slower that slower than molasses. Last test 25MB download took forever and a day to take. 1.2Mbps.... Sure hope to hear from Hughes soon. Can't even browse web barely. Took many attempts to just send this message!

When I did briefly have faster speeds, I was excited!  Hoping that when things get ironed out, this will be the norm and will be nice to have Hughes again! (I was a past customer)

TJ

@Liz.....

Things are at least usable this AM for basic web browsing.  Yesterday was really bad.  1.2 Mbps download speed and sporatic at that made for a tough day.  Could not even get onto the Hughes community to send my message was agravating for sure.  This AM at least I can get online.  I work from home so need at least web browsing and email or I am out of commission.

Would be nice to at least hear back my messages have been received and I am in some que to be looked at.  

Hoping for the best.... I have worked in tech support before, was my main profession, so always polite to those when I talk to them on the phone.  It is nice though when it seems someone is working on it and they are keeping us abreast of the "whats going on".  Would rather know it is an issue and may take some time to fix versus being left in the dark guessing that.

So hoping to see a good customer service experience with Hughes with my issue.

TJ

Hi macsociety,

Just got out of a meeting regarding addressing slow speeds, no news yet we can share. We will check in with them again next week, but once we do have an update or need additional information, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Highlighted

OK, thank you. TJ

Sophomore

Just came here to post about the same issue...I'll piggy back on your thread because I am in the same area and same beam etc as you.

I had my own thread after I signed up because I was getting slow evening speeds and good speeds most other times, Liz gave me the same response and that they would let me know as soon as they hear something.....that was over a month ago.

Speeds were actually pretty good and still usuable in the evenings, until a little over a week ago, now as you are experiencing, they're totally UNusable.  I'm using my phone as a hotspot in order to post this....

Can a moderator give us something to go on here? If this is what we can expect with Hughes then it leaves us no choice but to cancel service and go with something else.

My results, note the evening speeds.....

http://testmy.net/quickstats/timandjodi

Sophomore

Looking at my test history....things were fine until Sept. 23rd, after that something changed.

Hi timandjodi, 

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Senior

Hi, I'm a Gen 5 user in the Sierra Foothills also. Gen5 has been great, then last Sunday (see post) I

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Since-Sunday-Evening-10-1-17-Speed-Slowed-Later-In-T... started having problems. For the heck of it, I unplugged the modem, then pluged it back in after a few minutes...my speeds returned.. It went from 662 kps to 38 Mbs just from the reboot.

It worked for me. At first rebooting the Gen4 system sometimes worked, sometimes not. More and more the techs at Hughes first asked if I had rebooted the modem?

It is a cardinal rule with any computer operated system to reboot first, it can't hurt, many times it solves problems.

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

Sophomore

Ive rebooted the modem a few times, the computer, the browser, turned wifi on & off.......

Not having any effect.  Speed right now 10:18 am (when it normally was 40-50+ about a week ago) is 5.8

and that drops to ~1 in the evening, I.E. unusable.

Yeh the 1 to 2Mbps is really bad.  One would think it can be used but for whatever reason, that speed does not corralate to the actual use.  I can't seem to even get onto the Hughes Community to read or post responses at that speed.  Get timed out or literally takes minutes to bring up the pages.  

At least if they can figure out a way to evenly distribute 5+ to everyone while they figure things out would be better.  

Right this minute I seem to at least be able to do stuff, although slower than what I am paying for... considerably slower.

But later today it becomes so slow I can't even work from home it gets so bad.

With 1 to 2Mbps speeds with my former ATT Home Phone & Internet I was able to do it all and even watch netflix.  But with Hughes 1 to 2Mbps so far, I can't even browse web and seems to just barely be enough to get emails.

That is the troubling part for me.  I understand they may need some time to iron things out, which I understand, but they should be making the fee per month much lower until they do so... and also figure out at least a temp fix so we all can do the basics.

That is my hope.  But I am only here since last Thursday as a new customer so no idea how this will all pan out.

I am not new to Hughes.  Was on it when they 1st came out... and was even on Gen 4 earlier this year before I moved onto ATT.  Then the Gen 5 enticed me back.  So far it may have been a poor decision on my part.  Wife keeps telling me I chose poorly (like the knight said in Indiana Jones <grin>.

I will give Hughes the benefit of the doubt and some time and as long as customer service part stays steady, and maybe they give lower fees while they work this OK, I will keep on with them in hopes it all works out.

TJ