Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

@GabeU wrote:

That's considerably slower than what I used to get with my legacy plan.  Just....WOW.  

Yeh, I am not sure what is going on.  Seems really off.

TJ

It's Sunday. For some reason Sundays always seem sluggish all day, especially around football season.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

It's Sunday. For some reason Sundays always seem sluggish all day, especially around football season.

Yeah, today seems to be quite bad compared to normal.  I just tested a little while ago and hit about 5Mbps.  Now, I know that's a lot higher than a couple of people in this thread are suffering with REALLY low speeds, but compared to my normal it's a pretty big hit, so I can understand their terrible speed being even more ridiculously slow today/tonight.  

Sunday nite 9Pm Speed test 97Mbs file 38Mbs.

Something , advertised speed on a Sunday nite? Unheard of.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Thanks folks for your updates. No updates this morning from engineering. I don't expect there to be any during this short workweek. Once we do have anything worthwhile to report, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz help....

Things have become even worse on my connection.

Where in the past week or two during FAP I at least had OK speed to get work done during the day (1Mbps), and the slow to no internet between 6PM and 10PM (150K down and 12k up), now the slow is also during the whole day 24/7.  ;-(

I work from home and need internet to earn my paycheck. Without it I could lose my job.

Here are some tests from last night and today.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=11212017&x=1&l=25&q=macsociety

As you will see, lats night all I could muster even after multiple modem reboots was 100K down.  Uploads did NOT EVEN work.  256 attempts stalled.    Last night I had a que of about 30 emails that would not even come in!  I could not browse the web, well barely a few sites.  Most pages timed out.

So in frustration I turned off the system and figured I would double up work today.

Well today I am only getting 500K download, so barely functioning.  Uploads, 12K.  Yes 12K.  This is during the day too... 10:30 as I write this.

I am barely getting any of my important sites to come up for work.

Something is drastically wrong here and I need you to assist please.   Maybe if that means Hughes taking me out of FAP until they get this slow speed issue resolved, maybe it may boost my speed up enough to at least work.  Then when you get the bugs worked out, then when I FAP I FAP.

But today if one is FAPped, it appears to not work at all or barely.  I should be way above 12k uploads.  

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas (TJ)

Hi, I'm a Gen 5 user in the Sierra Foothills also. Gen5 has been great, then last Sunday (see post) I

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Since-Sunday-Evening-10-1-17-Speed-Slowed-Later-In-T... started having problems. For the heck of it, I unplugged the modem, then pluged it back in after a few minutes...my speeds returned.. It went from 662 kps to 38 Mbs just from the reboot.

It worked for me. At first rebooting the Gen4 system sometimes worked, sometimes not. More and more the techs at Hughes first asked if I had rebooted the modem?

It is a cardinal rule with any computer operated system to reboot first, it can't hurt, many times it solves problems.

Hope this helps 😉

Ive rebooted the modem a few times, the computer, the browser, turned wifi on & off.......

Not having any effect.  Speed right now 10:18 am (when it normally was 40-50+ about a week ago) is 5.8

and that drops to ~1 in the evening, I.E. unusable.

Yeh the 1 to 2Mbps is really bad.  One would think it can be used but for whatever reason, that speed does not corralate to the actual use.  I can't seem to even get onto the Hughes Community to read or post responses at that speed.  Get timed out or literally takes minutes to bring up the pages.  

At least if they can figure out a way to evenly distribute 5+ to everyone while they figure things out would be better.  

Right this minute I seem to at least be able to do stuff, although slower than what I am paying for... considerably slower.

But later today it becomes so slow I can't even work from home it gets so bad.

With 1 to 2Mbps speeds with my former ATT Home Phone & Internet I was able to do it all and even watch netflix.  But with Hughes 1 to 2Mbps so far, I can't even browse web and seems to just barely be enough to get emails.

That is the troubling part for me.  I understand they may need some time to iron things out, which I understand, but they should be making the fee per month much lower until they do so... and also figure out at least a temp fix so we all can do the basics.

That is my hope.  But I am only here since last Thursday as a new customer so no idea how this will all pan out.

I am not new to Hughes.  Was on it when they 1st came out... and was even on Gen 4 earlier this year before I moved onto ATT.  Then the Gen 5 enticed me back.  So far it may have been a poor decision on my part.  Wife keeps telling me I chose poorly (like the knight said in Indiana Jones <grin>.

I will give Hughes the benefit of the doubt and some time and as long as customer service part stays steady, and maybe they give lower fees while they work this OK, I will keep on with them in hopes it all works out.

TJ

10:48 Am PstI just ran a speed test- I had 33Mbs. Sorry to hear you are having speed problems. I guess it's up to the techs and their queries of the modem,etc..

Hope you get it resolved soon.

1.5 Mbs at 11:05 am Smiley Frustrated

@ 11:12  Am Pst  down arrow Download :: 35.8 Mbps 4.5 MB/s

Location - 95249

Hi folks,

Update from engineering regarding beam 55. They are planning on making network adjustments to your beam this Saturday. Please monitor your system performance after that and let us know how it goes. This adjustment is just one step of several other action items on the horizon to address your speed concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

Hi folks,

Update from engineering regarding beam 55. They are planning on making network adjustments to your beam this Saturday. Please monitor your system performance after that and let us know how it goes. This adjustment is just one step of several other action items on the horizon to address your speed concerns.

Thank you @Liz

TJ

@Liz

Is this adjustment to beam 55 still happening on Saturday?

Just curious so I can monitor things and notify if I see improvements.

Thanks

TJ

Hi TJ,

Yes, this morning I was at a meeting with engineering present and they confirmed they're going ahead with the adjustments tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes next week.

I had to reboot again last evening, as the best I had was 1Mb or less in 3 tests..

Since this is new to me , I didn't have this last week, or before, what hapenned? Was something "tweaked"  last week?

At least I can reboot and restore my speed tp 30Mbs or better.:)

Hi folks,

Engineering constantly makes network adjustments to ensure good network performance for our 1+ million subscriber base, I don't know of any single change that may have caused slower than plan speed performance during specific periods. Many factors can affect speed, both on the HughesNet and home network sides. While our engineers are focusing on addressing beam 55 tomorrow, it's too early to say how things will fare in the future. However, we have been getting more regular updates from engineering on their efforts to address the recent concerns for our Gen 5 subscribers.

We'll keep you updated as we get news available to share.

Thanks Liz 🙂 You're the Best !Tiny Cat.png

@Liz wrote:

Hi TJ,

Yes, this morning I was at a meeting with engineering present and they confirmed they're going ahead with the adjustments tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes next week.

Cool @Liz, I will make sure to report what I experience. TJ

Just wanted to jump on the "slow as molasses" band wagon. I'm here in Kansas City, MO and have experienced excruciatingly slow speeds for at least the past two afternoons/evenings. I just performed speed tests through Hughes and several other providers. Here's the latest result on Hughes: 1.18 down, 0.09 up. It's completely unacceptable. I purchased the pricey service over a Sprint or AT&T hot spot, based on the 'revolutionary' increase in capability with the launch of Gen5. If only i would consistently get the advertised 25mbs down, and 3mbs up, i'd be a happy camper. Working from home, i have had to use my Sprint hot spot (on my iPhone) the past two night just to email a 4mb file. ARGH! I'll be anxious to see if the beam 55 adjustment tomorrow helps the speed here in the heartland......