Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Thank you for your patience! Wow!! Yesterday I called Hughes Net to inform them my satellite dish fell backwards. I spoke to a young man in Brownsville Texas. Again WOW!! Not a good wow either! I had to repeat myself several times my dish fell and I had called the company that installed the system and they would be at my house today. I was calling just in case the engineers might be doing something? LOL so after being put on hold and asked to run test again ad repeating "MY Dish is pointing straight up in the air, I have no internet!" I wish I remembered this guys name! He would reply," yes I am sorry I know it is frustrating not have any internet" So why did he keep asking to run test! I asked him the status of my case nd he could not find anything. Well I was not happy! So after more time on hold, he found my information! Again told 7-10 days and since last Wednesday 10-4-17 called my 7-10 days start and the weekends are not included. When in fact the first called on Monday 10-2-17 and was told my case was esculated to the engineers and I should be called that day. If not for sure tomorrow. Thus the reason for the Wednesday call. I sent an email and was told I would hear from an engineer by 10-10-17. Hey today is 10-10-17 and guess what no call! I am not impressed with how answers are vague and pretty much well.........a lie!

This is affecting local business' like the company I went through. It was explained he has to buy the equipment and when istalled he is paid for the equipment and the sale. Then he went on to say is bound to the same contract as his customers. So if I was to cancel service he loses money. Not to mention losing 2 sales because of this poor speeds. He installed my service on 9-16-17 and today 10-10-17 because of who knows what happen to make the dish  fall, was remounted and signal great from the dish to router. Yet from the router to the laptop lousy slow speed. 

I would like a truthful answer and get the speed promise to me when I decided to sign up for Hughesnet. I hesitated for months until seeing the great Gen 5.

needhelp
Freshman

You and i are in the same boat........... same area/same problem.  Signed up on new Gen5  about 2 months ago. Worked fine for maybe 2 or 3 weeks then the bottom fell out.  I now get speeds likie .10Kbps/download  0/kbs upload.  Got the same run around with tech support.  Finallay got some answers about a week+ ago.  Are you ready for this -- having some kind of alingment (?) problem or problem with sat.  They are working on it. SAID THEY MAYBE HAVE IT FIXED IN A MONTH!!!  In the mean time you and i could walk faster and have a one on one chat with whoever we are trying deal with on the system.  I AM NOT HAPPY.!! By the way sometimes it works for a few minutes but still only around 1 to 4 Mbps. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

There are issues with some of the beams.  They are working on them; give them a break.  If you would like someone to look at your specific issues, create your own thread. 

@needhelp wrote:

You and i are in the same boat........... same area/same problem.  Signed up on new Gen5  about 2 months ago. Worked fine for maybe 2 or 3 weeks then the bottom fell out.  I now get speeds likie .10Kbps/download  0/kbs upload.  Got the same run around with tech support.  Finallay got some answers about a week+ ago.  Are you ready for this -- having some kind of alingment (?) problem or problem with sat.  They are working on it. SAID THEY MAYBE HAVE IT FIXED IN A MONTH!!!  In the mean time you and i could walk faster and have a one on one chat with whoever we are trying deal with on the system.  I AM NOT HAPPY.!! By the way sometimes it works for a few minutes but still only around 1 to 4 Mbps. 

Beam 55 Mt Ranch, Ca. 10.22.17 11:00 Am Pst

Unusable last nite, graphics wwouldn't load, 38 Mbs at 7 Am Sunday Morn, now 3 Mbs.

Almost modem reboot time.

There are satellite problems I read, more subscribers on other Beams affected..

I am curious if Alan (ElDorado Sat) is having problems also?

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Cross eyed cat.png

@ecoalex2 wrote:

I am curious if Alan (ElDorado Sat) is having problems also?

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Our office system was way down, until this last week around October 17. Today running at about 40 ~ 50 Mbps down:

testmy.net/quickstats/ElDoradoNetworks  

Gateway ID 8

Beam ID 55

Outroute ID 9

IP Gateway: J2GIL055HNSIGW0103

BTW, I should add that I use the "Combined" Automatic test, which runs up to the 200 MB test download. To me, this is a more accurate test than the fixed 25 MB test of how large, sustained downloads like streaming video might behave.

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Thanks Alan for your info.

I start out at 32 Mbs or so around 7 Am, then the service degrades during the day, then at nite I must reboot the modem to get about 3 Mbs, sometimes it doesn't remedy the unusable to slow but usable.

I have the 2nd, or 3rd tier plan.- 38 Mbs speed max, I see that early Ams then no more during the day,

I use the 44Mbs Testmytest file load..

I just rebooted the modem after 3 - 1Mbs speed results, After the reboot- 16Mbs..

I know it will degrade again, probably have to reboot the modem again about 7 Pm.

I am curious as to your evening speed tests , as mornings for most on Beam 55 is the highest speed, then it consistanly degrades.

What is your take on the problem?

A 200 Mbs test is too long for me, it would take  minutes..

Thanks again 😉

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Thanks Alan for your info.

I am curious as to your evening speed tests , as mornings for most on Beam 55 is the highest speed, then it consistanly degrades.

What is your take on the problem?

I'll try to remember to check this throughout the week. Our shop system is currently connected by a dedicated LAN cable to just one desktop here at my desk so I can trigger it anytime I happen to think about it. I'm using the shop system to post my replies here, and just streamed a youTube video

I don't really have a "take" on the problem. When I first started getting calls from some of my customers, speed graphs on our system were showing short, initial bursting at about 400 ~ 500 Mbps, then the speed would quickly dribble away to nothing. Not seeing that anymore. I would expect that HN Engineering is rolling out network changes on Beam 55 one at a time, then seeing if the change breaks something else before implementing another. At least, that's how I'd do it...

What Associated IP Gateway does your modem show under System Status?

BTW, I've been passing along the details to HN Engineering for any of our customers who reported slow performance. I had about 10 over the last few weeks. 

The calls seems to stop last week. 

My Motto: The plural of "anecdote" is data.

Alan -

I copied this

IP Gateway Association State

Associated (Data IPGW - J2GIL055HNSIGW0104)

Is this what you asked for?

@maratsade wrote:

There are issues with some of the beams.  They are working on them; give them a break.  If you would like someone to look at your specific issues, create your own thread. 

Yes, to those with issues, may be best you create your own thread.  Although each of us may have similar issues, they may level out for some while not the others, and I would like to close-out mine once I get a week or two of OK connections w/o the loss of speed at night, I woud like to close-out this thread.

Plus I feel it is important to keep as level headed as possible and professional in statements and don't appreciate constant attacks on any party trying to help.  Remember I am also a customer and have experience poor connection from day 1 but it seems Hughes is trying to help and I have seen some changes since.  

Guessing we may still see a few more ups and downs but in time all will settle down.

Regards, TJ

beckyfairless33
Freshman

Me too. installed at the beginning of September and I have not ever been able to use the on demand feature offered with dish. So sorry I switched from cable.  I cant believe Im saying that.  I have been on the phone with dish and Hughesnet over a dozen times in six weeks and they keep telling me there is no problem.  Everything is working fine.  But I still cant watch video on demand.  The most recent Hughesnet employee told me the problem is with my television because its not connected wirelessly.  Really?  How could that even be a thing?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@beckyfairless33

Try turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver to see if that makes a difference when streaming.  You can do so through the HughesNet Usage Meter (the Video Settings tab), or by signing in to the HughesNet myAccount site and clicking on the Settings tab.  

What is Video Data Saver?

@Liz, thought I would report an oddity.

So I reported yesterday was my 1st good day.  All seemed good today up until around 3ish.... felt all started slowing up.  Ran a test at 4:27 and was slow, down in the 2Mbps range.  Like past weeks.  So did a admin reset from 192.168.0.1 and ran another test.  Same slow 2Mbps range.  So pulled the plug on the modem, left unpowered for a couple minutes, rebooted all and tested again.  Was back to decent speeds.  Not sure how long it will hold but figured I would report this.  

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=25&z=74&q=macsociety

TJ

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@macsociety

Tomorrow if it starts slowing down, can you avoid pulling the plug and run tests and let us know what happens over time?  Get 2-3 days of that if it continues, and attempt 2-3 days of removing power and inform us of the results...

I seem to be the next victim. The service was unusable for an hour last nite, I rebooted the modem - no help.

This morming I usually have 30+ Mbs speed, now in the 20's..

This is a disappointment after a great service until 2 weeks ago. Now sometimes unusable.

What changed?

Data- http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this update, I'll let the engineers know. Curious, before you run the testmy.net tests are you selecting the 25 MB test file size?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz-

I am using the 21 Mbs dwnload . Thanks

As of 10/18, our showroom system is back up to ~ 40 Mbps down and ~ 3 up (Beam 55-Northern California).

Good News Alan, Hope they can get the rest of Beam 55 up to what we had.;)

Alex, is yours still down? You're not that far from us. Wonder what's up?

Beam 55 Mt Ranch, Ca

Hi Alan , yes I'm having a degradation of service after a great start with Gen5 . I had the advertised for my tier speeds - 30+mbs , with FAP and 2.9 Mbs it was still usable, video streaming as ok ,until 2 weeks ago, as the other subscribers, then it slowly degraded, last nite for a time it was unusable.

What hapenned to Beam 55 is the question ? It seems it is getting worse, not better for me, and sporatic from others comments. Hope they figure it out soon. I couldn't log on to comment last nite it was so bad.