Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

@alv7722 wrote:

Don't have to prove anything!  They finally admitted it doesn't work, and even told me why!!  It is bad weather in Montana!!!!!  News Flash!!!!!:  Montana is going to have bad weather for most of the next several months!!

Well, whoever told you Montana was wrong. If you are truly on Beam 10, that gateway is in Cheyenne, Wyoming. And, by "bad weather" they mean monsoon-levels of rain, so also not what you think.

Please stop with the hyperbole.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

Ugh, I should have noticed that (the gateway location).  I guess when there's so much nonsense it just starts running together and separate things are no longer seen (at least by me :p). 

maratsade

A contract is a legally binding, enforceable agreement between parties.  Have you read the contract between you and Hughesnet?

Start your own thread and detail the problems you perceve your network set up has, and provide the requred tests. You can also break the contract for a fee. 

Too many people continuing to redirect the OPs thread without listening to the advice of others and create their own.

Unfortunately, perhaps it's time to close this one.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
ecoalex2
Tutor

For the 2nd night in a row, I have great speed. Why me? Something has changed for me anyways:).

Test- 158 Mbs file dwnload 43.Mbs speed.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Rocket Cat.png

GabeU

Shhhh.  Don't jinx it.  😛 

ghacker

I appear to be in the same boat.  I previously had Mediacom and had exceptional speeds both download and upload.  Their problem was that they just kept losing service so I had no internet.  I enlisted with HughesNet Gen5 and had had horrible upload times, many in the 1-300 K range. Talk about slow.  Their general support was a joke.  Hard to understand, could not relate to my problem, hung up on me several times, had to 'insist' on talking to a manager supervisor several times before they would transfer me.  I finally called the home office and got an agent who would at least listen to me.  They sent an agent and redirected my antenna to a different satellite which improved my upload response to avg about 1.5G.  Not the best but better than the .7K I was getting.  

I was asked to take a survey, which I did, but the allowed responses to some questions were not applicable to what I experienced as to reflect what I wanted to expose.  A waste of time

I hope you have a better ending result as I still have problems and apparently not much recourse with Hughesnet

Reboot of my modem again and speeds improved to better FAP speeds during the day like I had had.  As of 12PM now getting about 1.25Mbps down.... with a nice 2Mbps up.  

Odd as heck how it bounces around like that.  I had noticed I was on gatewat 102... now 104.  Maybe that is a partial reason after the reboot.

TJ

Hi TJ,

Thanks for this update. Haven't gotten any useful updates lately but once we do, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Speed is dead again.  Only 5:30 pst and down to 500k down and 175k up now.  By 7PM the system will be unusable.   Not having internet after 6PM is not fun.  I get no work done and it all piles up next day.  ;-(

TJ

Deleting posts, really? <sigh>

Anyhoo on to the business at hand...

I decided to post my speed test result (still at full speed not FAP) as it's pretty obvious it's following a pattern of plummeting from noon to midnight. Totally unacceptable speeds. Either there's a problem or some serious false advertising is going on. Here's the results so far...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

I'll make my own thread once the week is over which will have lots of data. Thank you.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@MRex21

You seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here in the Community.

Hughes offers several avenues of support. Among them are phone, chat, email and this Community.

The first three will put you in contact with tier one support, something I always found frustrating. This Community is different in the respect that you have access to corporate level Hughes employees that are in a position to shortcut the "tier system" and expedite your concerns to the highest support personnel once your issue has been "vetted" here in the Community.

That "vetting" consists of a subscriber making a clear and concise post outlining their issue along with a description of their platform, service level and a description of their network.

At that point a number of forum regulars will respond asking ..... loaded questions. Those questions are geared towards determining the baseline performance of your service and collecting data in a form that is useful to Engineering.

Not all posts have issues rooted in the same cause. This is why its important to start a new topic of your own rather than piggy-back onto another users topic.

Many of the forum regulars have considerable experience with computers, operating systems and networking along with the idiosyncrasies of each of the fives generations of Hughes equipment. I for example have 14 years of experience spanning 3 of the 5 Hughes platforms. If you have an issue, we, the forum regulars, very likely have already been down that road.

I'm at a loss as to why you would promote contacting outside agencies when you have yet to attempt troubleshooting your issues at this level.

I suggest you knock off the sour grapes and make a clear and concise new topic written in a somewhat adult manner.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well snowflake, you are on your own.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow MRex21, someone tries to be civil to you and all you do is reply with venom, nice. Good luck getting help from anyone here, over the phone or anyplace for that matter. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

I think it would be hilarious if his issue was rooted in something within his own network 🙂

Just look at all the self-proclaimed "Sys Admins" we have had posting over the years.

All I can say is that my system performs well 99% of the time.

Zzzzzz 😴

Weird, I thought MRex was banned yesterday. Sorry about that everyone! I know that a lot of people requested that this thread get cleaned up a bit and we did attempt to do that yesterday. Our apologies if any legitimate results were removed in the process.

~Amanda

Hi all, new to the community and Hughes net. i used a Verizon mifi unit before the switch.    I'm having possibly the same problem. some websites don't fully down load, even my yahoo email won't all ways down load all emails from previous days. I just tried updating my windows 10 computer and it would not connect to the up date site. I unplug my modem each night so that would probably work as a reboot. before i call Hughes net i thought i would check here. I have been with hughes net for about one month.  Any advise?

download speed seems to be 16mbps and up load speed .81mbps. low? normal? 

Hi zoomzoom,

I pulled up your account and see that you are in a different area and on a different satellite. While your diagnostics look great in terms of signal strength and the other basic factors, the issues you are describing will need a little more troubleshooting.

Instead of calling, I think it would be easier if you created your own thread outlining some things like: time of day this is happening, a few of the websites you are having trouble loading, web browser you are using and e-mail client you are using to download your e-mail.

Thank you,

Amanda