Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Been in FAP the last 17 days or so... was excited to be out of FAP today but a quick test shows I getting slower than FAP speeds, even after reboots of modem, yet I am not in FAP.  Morning speeds used to be OK and was only the late afternoon into evenings where things crawled, but now I get 500K to 900K so far this AM for downloads.   Seems things are getting worse here.

TJ

Good morning macsociety,

Thank you for your update, we'll make note of this.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It's odd, things got better for a while but this week speeds went down across the board. Even in the wee hours of the morning it was below 10Mbps when before I've been getting over 30Mbps consistanly. The sub 500Kbps speeds have been starting earlier and continuing later into the evening as well, now lasting until 12am or later. Could the holiday week be causing this?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TYGRHobbes wrote:

It's odd, things got better for a while but this week speeds went down across the board. Even in the wee hours of the morning it was below 10Mbps when before I've been getting over 30Mbps consistanly. The sub 500Kbps speeds have been starting earlier and continuing later into the evening as well, now lasting until 12am or later. Could the holiday week be causing this?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

Almost assuredly due to Christmas.  Everybody and their brother, and their fourth cousin twice removed, using data since Sunday and Monday with thier new toys and gadgets.  My speeds tanked, as well.    

Oh wow, just logged my slowest download speed to date.  I had seen some 12k uploads... frequent 15k... but downloads normally were at least in the 100 range.  Just logged a 75K.  Oy!!!

TJ

AllTimeLowDownload.png

GabeU

@macsociety

Just....wow.  A litlte slower and you'll be able to make the often heard "it's like dialup" claim an actual fact. And then it's on to "it's worse than dialup."  I hope you don't end up proving that one.  SMH.  

That's beyond awful.  With that someone couldn't even justify it costing three or four times as much as dialup because it's at least three or four times faster than dialup.  That's not even twice as fast.  It just keeps getting worse and worse for you.  😞 

I was at 97Kbps last night at 9pm, the slowest it's ever been.

*cough* Kinda throws the whole Christmas theory out the window huh?

GabeU

@bare65 wrote:

*cough* Kinda throws the whole Christmas theory out the window huh?

Not necessarily.  People don't only use their new gadgets at Christmastime.  

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Actually I was being a little sarcastic last night in reply to something that you actually wrote just 2 weeks ago on this very thread in response to the slow speeds.. LOL! (sorry)

Two weeks ago (if you scroll back and look) you wrote the following reply in response to @TYGRHobbes question about whether this slowdown was related to the holiday season.

"Almost assuredly due to Christmas.  Everybody and their brother, and their fourth cousin twice removed, using data since Sunday and Monday with thier new toys and gadgets.  My speeds tanked, as well"

Appointment has been set by local dealer to come out and point my dish back to Sat 17.   They did not say they will replace the dish though.  Mine is the older Gen 4 dish so not sure what size it is.  When they installed Gen 5 they just pointed my same dish at ES19 and slapped a new modem on back in September.  Anyway, will know Monday night if this makes things better or not.

Hoping for the best.

TJ

Same here

EDIT: So far so good. 20Mbps+ on ES17 Beam 3

@TYGRHobbes wrote:

Same here

EDIT: So far so good. 20Mbps+ on ES17 Beam 3

Lets hope at 9PM tonight things are still in the Mbps and not K.  If it can hold at a respectable #, even though less we know during peak time, that will be great!

TJ

@macsociety wrote:

Appointment has been set by local dealer to come out and point my dish back to Sat 17.   They did not say they will replace the dish though.  Mine is the older Gen 4 dish so not sure what size it is.  When they installed Gen 5 they just pointed my same dish at ES19 and slapped a new modem on back in September.  Anyway, will know Monday night if this makes things better or not.

Hoping for the best.

TJ

@Liz

not sure if this will be an issue or not, but I am in FAP right now.  After installer comes out and re-directs, he will only get slow FAP speeds.  Will not know if the issue is really resolved.  I don't fall out of FAP until the 28th.

What do you recommend I do.  He gets here late afternoon on Monday the 22nd.

TJ

@macsociety  My allowance was reset to full before he started testing the speed. I suppose that's standard procedure when you do major service to the account.

HI TJ,

Thanks for the heads up, I replied to your PM regarding this.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

HI TJ,

Thanks for the heads up, I replied to your PM regarding this.

Hi @Liz, I received your PM and also replied there as I am not seeing the tokens.

Regards

TJ

Regarding tokens, try clicking the Buy Tokens button when you're looking at the Usage Meter. You'll then see what tokens you have available to use by clicking the "use" link next to them.

This screenshot is out of date, but the basic info and function remains the same.CMC02.PNG

GabeU

TJ,

When you click on Purchase Data Tokens in the Usage Meter, you should see something to indicate either Prepaid Tokens or Free Tokens (besides the ones listed that you can buy).  You can click on the corresponding button to add one. 

To get to the screen similar to the picture in Liz's reply, sign in to the MyAccount site, click on the Usage tab, and then click on the "Buy Tokens" button under the Usage data on the right.  There you should see the Prepaid or Free tokens listed.  I don't know which they show up as, but they'll be there.  

Personally, I prefer signing into the My Account site and adding them there, as you can seem more info about them on Buy Tokens popup page than you can from the Usage Meter.  

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

Thank you for your update, TJ. I'm happy to hear the repoint has helped so far. Please keep us posted.