New to Gen5 but have issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WVBear
New Poster

New to Gen5 but have issues

I am new to Gen5 and just upgraded from Gen4. I have been a customer for roughly 18 years (old Direcway) so I am not a novice to the quirks of satcomms. My issue is this.....my modem has been setup for roughly 5 hours and at 5:30 am EST I can't watch youtube on a hardwired PC, wifi disabled, system. I can't even get past the 10 second commercial to watch anything in most cases yet I can download a 150mb file in 5 seconds. I found a 1min 30s video that starts right up, I set it to 144p and nothing will buffer for (no joke) 10 mins. If I go to a webpage that has a video ad or a news vid that has to load, it stalls and wont finish loading the page. Does anyone know how to fix this? I never had this or any problem on Gen4 and this is quite frustrating and so far this is looking more like a downgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes it was. And my PC is connected to the modem by 4ft eternet cable.

But I have good news!!.....🎉🥁🎺🎇 ........The reinstallation of my browsers and a fresh reboot, finally brought up the "lets set up your device" message and began promptly working! YaY 🥳 So far so good 🤞🙂 Thank you for trying to help me. Now, I'm off to see what kinda trouble I can get into.......🤪

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That sounds very frustrating, especially given the circumstances, such as time of day.  Besides what you mention in your post, what other troubleshooting have you done, if any?

I tried clearing my browser, made sure it was up to date, made sure windows etc was up to date, disabled wifi on modem, turned video saver off in hughesnet, ran connectivity tests, double checked network, proxy, and firewall and permission settings, rebooted, and dusted mt PC LoL 🙂

Funny side note, my San Id is so old and short that the hughes system doesn't recognise it and it took 2 days for the operator to figure out I was a customer, then I was told I have to do everything by phone or live chat cause the system dont like me 🤣

maratsade

Talk about adding insult to injury! LOL.   I've been a customer since DirecWay days too...so much has changed since then and the technology's gotten so much better, though I think you probably don't agree at the moment. 😉

Have you checked your SCC to see whether there are any error codes, especially when the issue is happening? http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Have you thought about maybe switching to reading print magazines, books, or the newspaper? (totally kidding here!)

No error codes here, I may have to reinstall my browsers perhaps that will help 🤔

Yes, tech has gotten alot better but I still miss my unlimited data plan tho 😜

There is something to the experience of actual hard copy, except maybe the paper cuts 🩹

GabeU

@WVBear 

Though this isn't necessarily going to help with your issue (though it still might), I would install an ad blocker in your browser.  Both Adblock Plus and uBlock origin are popular ones, and they're both available for just about all of the popular browsers.  This will not only stop the annoying ads, it can help save a good amount of data as well.  

They also stop ads in YouTube videos, or at least I know Adblock Plus does.  For reference, if you do install one and go with Adblock Plus, make sure to uncheck "Allow acceptable ads" in its options, or you'll still see some.

Thanks 🙂

maratsade

So, when the buffering issues are happening, the State Code is 0.0.0?

How far is your device from the modem when you're streaming?

@WVBear wrote:

No error codes here, I may have to reinstall my browsers perhaps that will help 🤔

Yes it was. And my PC is connected to the modem by 4ft eternet cable.

But I have good news!!.....🎉🥁🎺🎇 ........The reinstallation of my browsers and a fresh reboot, finally brought up the "lets set up your device" message and began promptly working! YaY 🥳 So far so good 🤞🙂 Thank you for trying to help me. Now, I'm off to see what kinda trouble I can get into.......🤪

Good morning WVBear, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!