Older Mac running El Capitan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alfresco
Senior

Older Mac running El Capitan

I was having connection problems on my older mac, I switched to 5ghz and  it goes much faster and haven't had any problems since. I also switched switched my  mac air to 5ghz  and it runs much faster, I was blaming my slow internet on Hughes (my bad) . Never noticed this problem when I had cable internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The 5Ghz radio can certainly give higher speeds than the 2.4Ghz radio, but you may notice that your range is more limited.   Your connection issues could be the result of a few different things, but it's good that you were able to find a solution.  If, however, you find that the decreased range is an issue, there may be a couple of settings adjustments with the 2.4Ghz radio that might increase your speed, though the connection issue might still need to be figured out and fixed.     

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The 5Ghz radio can certainly give higher speeds than the 2.4Ghz radio, but you may notice that your range is more limited.   Your connection issues could be the result of a few different things, but it's good that you were able to find a solution.  If, however, you find that the decreased range is an issue, there may be a couple of settings adjustments with the 2.4Ghz radio that might increase your speed, though the connection issue might still need to be figured out and fixed.     

Ran a diagnostic the results said awdl was disabled ??? No big deal I will stick to the 5ghz.

Yeah, best bet is sticking with 5GHz if you have maximum bars of signal. If you’re able to switch to ac protocol with 3 or more extension channels, which will give you max bandwidth.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.