Outgoing email being rejected.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Outgoing email being rejected.

OH BOY!  About a week ago my outgoing email (from windows live mail) started being rejected by the server.  I went thru all the drills I know of (port number, smtp, etc) and reluctantly called Hughes tech support.  After about an hour (case number 134193431) I was transferred to Home Tech Support.  (case number 1901S003682) and the kind lady accepted my credit card number so as to charge me $70 and transferred me to a technician.  I was half way thru explaining my problem when he said "let me guess, your outgoing mail is being rejected by the server"  Yup!  he said " yeah, Hughes is having problems with their outgoing mail servers"  He signed into my system, poked around for a few minutes, and said there was no solution until Hughes resolves the problem.  Use Hughes mail to send out emails.  Thank you very much, please pay $70, and don't forget to tip your waitress...  UH... How come Hughes Tech support couldn't say this?  How come I had to pay $70 to be told it was a Hughes problem?  I may be old, but I'm not crazy... yet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to hear about what happened with HTS, that is certainly unusual as we don't currently have an issue with outbound mail. We'll bring this up with HTS as that should not have happened.  

I can help you with your e-mail concerns. Let's try these steps first to see if the issue clears up:

Go ahead and please clear your browser's cache and cookies, then see if the issue persists.  

If no change, reset your HughesNet password and try again. You can reset your password by logging out of MyHughesNet, then clicking the "Forgot Password?" link on the login screen.

Now let's check your e-mail client's settings; did you try the settings MarkJFine suggested? Did they make a difference?

If not, use these outbound settings:

Outbound Server: email.hughes.net

Port 587

try with SSL Authentication required

Do the issues persist after updating these settings?

If yes, let's create a new HughesNet e-mail address for testing, and add it to your e-mail client.

Use the same settings provided above and let me know if the issue persists with this test account.

If you still can't send e-mail, reset the password for this test account and let me know if that makes any difference.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Edit:
Just adding that us community mods are going to be out of the office for Thanksgiving break, so I'll get back to your reply next week.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

n/c

MarkJFine
Professor

Not a Hughes problem. It's been complicated by two things: 1 was a Microsoft upgrade that blew away people's settings. 2 was a change in the way the mail servers were upgraded to finally handle TLS 1.3.

The proper outgoing settings should be:

Outgoing mail settings:
server: smtp.hughes.net
port: 465

"Use SSL" should be checked

authentication should also be set to your username and password.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Tried these settings and it did not work. I entered in the port changes and ssl and it failed while trying to update settings. Thanks. JT

Let's see ... almost a month & STILL no RESOLUTION

TALK ABOUT STEALING MONEY ..... supports answer use the WEBMAIL interface for now, until we fix it

John2
Freshman

Thanks for posting and saving me $$. Similar issue for me with Outlook. Hughes tech was not aware of any outgoing mail server issues. JT

Liz

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to hear about what happened with HTS, that is certainly unusual as we don't currently have an issue with outbound mail. We'll bring this up with HTS as that should not have happened.  

I can help you with your e-mail concerns. Let's try these steps first to see if the issue clears up:

Go ahead and please clear your browser's cache and cookies, then see if the issue persists.  

If no change, reset your HughesNet password and try again. You can reset your password by logging out of MyHughesNet, then clicking the "Forgot Password?" link on the login screen.

Now let's check your e-mail client's settings; did you try the settings MarkJFine suggested? Did they make a difference?

If not, use these outbound settings:

Outbound Server: email.hughes.net

Port 587

try with SSL Authentication required

Do the issues persist after updating these settings?

If yes, let's create a new HughesNet e-mail address for testing, and add it to your e-mail client.

Use the same settings provided above and let me know if the issue persists with this test account.

If you still can't send e-mail, reset the password for this test account and let me know if that makes any difference.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Edit:
Just adding that us community mods are going to be out of the office for Thanksgiving break, so I'll get back to your reply next week.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz, your solution worked... I only applied part of it, though.  I found that I first had to check Authorization Required, which reset the port to 25THEN, I changed the port to 587 and voila, my email started working.  Yippee!  If the solution sticks, I'm happy.  HOWEVER, I've heard nothing back from HTS indicating that I am going to be credited for the charge I received for no solution...

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for confirming that changing the settings to Port 587 with Authentication required resolved your outgoing mail concerns.

Regarding your HTS billing concern, please give HTS a call at 877-833-1775. I'm not sure if HTS stores our case numbers in their system, but in case HTS needs more than your name to look up your credit request, here's our case number where we transferred you to HTS: 134195142.

-Liz

nsnodgrass
Spectator

I went through the same thing, just never to the extent of being charged. Maybe because I went through the whole 9 yards before calling tech support.
Now just how long is it going to take for them to resolve this issue.