Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_Vit
Senior

PHISHING EMAIL?

I received an email today that seems somewhat suspicious

content:

Introducing the new Email Security Program from Hughes!

Introduction:

All New and Existing customers will be able to take advantage of the excellent features and functions of the new HughesNet® Security with Anti-Spam, and Data Lead Protection, the update is compulsory for email users for security reasons and Potential consequences of not installing security updates are damaged software, loss of data, or identity theft.

You may need to Update your information to take advantage of the excellent features.

Click here to Update- [edited for safety]

Sincerely,

The HughesNet Team

the link - takes you to

[edited for safety]

suspect ?

Carmen Vitullo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good eye Pete_Vit!

Just going to leave this here too for anyone who wants a refresher on spotting suspicious e-mails. Most important thing is not to click on any links in suspicious emails!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Why would HN send you to a French site? Looks like phishing.  (EDIT: there's also the writing style and weird capitalisation, etc.). 

@maratsade wrote:

Why would HN send you to a French site? Looks like phishing. 

indeed Smiley Very Happy that's what made me suspicious - and I wanted to shine some light on this new phishing attempt.

most folks I know do not bother to hover over a link to check first where it's gonna take you. thanks for the sainity check.

Carmen Vitullo
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You're right, most don't, and if you go to the page, it's a good fascimile of the login page, though I didn't study it in detail. 

@Pete_Vit wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

indeed Smiley Very Happy that's what made me suspicious - and I wanted to shine some light on this new phishing attempt.

most folks I know do not bother to hover over a link to check first where it's gonna take you. thanks for the sainity check.

wow ! scary it looks very good - maybe tech support will send out a warning email to all subscribers - just in case.

@maratsade wrote:

You're right, most don't, and if you go to the page, it's a good fascimile of the login page, though I didn't study it in detail. 

@Pete_Vit wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Carmen Vitullo

Good eye Pete_Vit!

Just going to leave this here too for anyone who wants a refresher on spotting suspicious e-mails. Most important thing is not to click on any links in suspicious emails!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!