Hughesnet Community

Question for those who have upgrade from Gen4 to Gen5 regarding data resets...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Question for those who have upgrade from Gen4 to Gen5 regarding data resets...

For those of you who have upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 (like me), are you receiving daily data resets like the initial ten or twenty days of daily data resets when one upgraded from a legacy plan to Gen4 or got Gen4 when they first got their HughesNet service?  I am not getting those resets, though, to be honest, I don't know that I am supposed to.  

I know that the resets when one goes from a legacy plan to Gen4 or got Gen4 when they first signed up are/were there for people to be able to do data intensive things that they may need to do, like updating or upgrading their devices and such.  But, when going from Gen4 to Gen5 one isn't going to be in need of that and what's changing isn't such that something like that would be needed or even taken advantage of in that way.  

So, I'm just curious if any of you are having those initial twenty days of data resets.  Again, this question is only for those upgrading from Gen4 to Gen5, as anything else would be a different situation and have different circumstances.

Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think the system only treats new Jupiter based installs that way... Don't think upgrades from Jupiter One to Jupiter Two would get the initial 20 day reset...  I assume your HT2000w SAN is the same as your Jupiter One SAN?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think the system only treats new Jupiter based installs that way... Don't think upgrades from Jupiter One to Jupiter Two would get the initial 20 day reset...  I assume your HT2000w SAN is the same as your Jupiter One SAN?

GabeU

Yep, the SAN is the same.       

When I saw today that the data had not reset I wasn't that suprised.  I figured it was because, though it's an upgrade, it's a completely different type of upgrade than going from a legacy plan to a Gen4 plan.  

Thanks.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When you get near your reset date, if it's before mine, you should like, FAP your unit and do bunches of speed tests and share with us. 😄

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

When you get near your reset date, if it's before mine, you should like, FAP your unit and do bunches of speed tests and share with us. 😄

Well, I would, but the problem is I would have to burn through 21GB of token data, as well, which I'd like to keep.  Liz just reinstated it for me, too, as it didn't follow the upgrade.  Perhaps someone who doesn't have any token data will do that one day, as I am curious about the FAP speeds, as well.  

Hi Gabe,

So far I haven't made the switch . . . thought I'd give HN some time to work out any bugs in the new system.

How do you like it, so far?

Are the upload speeds better?

Gen4 treats me pretty good and I'm hesitant to change.

Best regards,

Don  🙂

GabeU

@donsjgm wrote:

Hi Gabe,

So far I haven't made the switch . . . thought I'd give HN some time to work out any bugs in the new system.

How do you like it, so far?

Are the upload speeds better?

Gen4 treats me pretty good and I'm hesitant to change.

Best regards,

Don  🙂

Don, 

I love it.  My upload speeds are greatly improved over Gen4.  When I first got Gen4 I was getting upload speeds of up to about 1.5Mbps, but they dropped down to below 1Mbps for the last six months or so.  Often at around 500Kbps.  My Gen5 upload speeds have been MUCH higher, even reaching 4.95Mbps at one point, but I'd say an average of 3Mbps.  I've done a few tests on my laptop, which wasn't signed in, so they aren't all reflected on my account, but you can see the difference since upgrading to Gen5 at 11:16:36AM on March 30th on the tests that were done when signed in.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

And, in the end, even though the lease price is $5 more per month, I'm saving a good amount and getting 5GB more Anytime Data.  A savings of $25 per month for the next 12 months, then $5 per month thereafter.  So, even when the plan reverts to the regular price, I'll still be saving money, getting more data, getting higher download and upload speeds and being able to take advantage of a higher FAP speed (though I have yet to ever run out of data).  Plus, being that the Gen5 speed is much steadier, there's much less buffering on Youtube videos.  Sometimes, even though I had plenty of speed, the speed wasn't very steady and the Youtube videos would buffer.  If you look at a Gen4 download speed test graph compared to the same with Gen5, the former looks like a jagged mountain range and the latter a smooth horizon.  At least for me it does.  It makes a big difference to have that steadier speed.

That's my experience thus far.

Also, I don't know if Gen5 is any better with my slow Windows updates, but I will find out soon enough, I'm sure.  Even if it isn't, though, I'll still be very glad I upgraded.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hey, Gabe, use the Identifier to help seperate Gen5 results from others.  I usually use Location 5 on my account to signal Gen5, and Location 4 to signal my Gen4 results.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Hey, Gabe, use the Identifier to help seperate Gen5 results from others.  I usually use Location 5 on my account to signal Gen5, and Location 4 to signal my Gen4 results.

I went ahead and did that.  Good idea.  Even without that, though, the difference is so marked that it's easy to see when the upgrade occured.  

Interestingly enough, when I do the combined speed test it uses the 2MB upload test file, which really isn't enough, I don't think.  I use the 3MB file and it almost always shows a faster speed, and we know that a larger file will normally give a more accurate result.