Runaway Email

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Runaway Email

Hi, this isn't really a technical issue but I was unsure where else to put it. While I can't complain about the service since it's performed quite acceptably for a long time now I do have two concerns over email. The first is the load time after the request for my name. After that it says 'redirecting' where it will stall for 20 to 30 seconds but sometimes long enough that it times out. I've closed all other applications even rebooting the modem and computer but nothing reduces the load time. Actually, if it didn't time out I could live with this so the second issue is spam. I donate to a few worthy causes and while they all post that my info will remain secret it's obvious that someone is lying. My email address has been passed out, or sold, to companies that I would have nothing to do with even if I was rich, blind, and mentally impaired. Of course, this has nothing to do with Hughes but in an effort to reduce the upwards of 100 to 125 unwanted emails daily I label them SPAM which I assumed would result in those email addresses being blocked but they aren't. I understand their use of different addresses in an effort to circumvent such actions but I've recorded the addresses from one logon to the next and they are identical. So what is the purpose of being able to categorize email as spam? Many of these pests place an option on their email that if I wish to be removed from their list simply click 'here' but it turns out that is simply a way to confirm to these ne'er-do-wells that their spam has reached a living breathing person thereby increasing the asking price when my name is offered for sale again. (makes me feel kind of cheap) So, information on the spam label would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck wrote:

So what is the purpose of being able to categorize email as spam?  

Though I don't use HughesNet's email for anything other than Community notifications, and only then because you can't use any other for such, categorizing items as Spam is basically to keep them separate from your normal email.  That way, you don't have to sift through your inbox to weed out all of the junk, as it's already been done for you.  Well, for the most part, anyway.  

And 100 - 125?  WOW!  I thought my 30 - 50 per day was a lot.  Double that would be even more frustrating.  And, unfortunately, many of my spam emails are identical, but from different addresses, and even domains.  I've given up blocking them as blocking a domain doesn't even do much anymore.

Basically, the advice I give to people is to use one email specifically for important things, like for sites where you pay bills or shop, and another for just about everything else.  That way, the most important emails you get will be to an address that probably won't get a lot of junk.  It's no doubt that you'll get some, but they won't be the type that you're probably getting a ton of now (the spam/scam garbage).  Granted, this doesn't tend to last, as it seems like the spammers/scammers always get your email address, but it at least it works for a while.  

As for timing out, that shouldn't be happening.  When I click the button after entering my credentials, my HughesNet email page takes a good bit to open as well, but it always eventually does.  Hopefully the reps will have some idea as to what could be causing the problem, as with your service working well, the mail should too.  

One last thing is maybe trying something like Thunderbird, which is a 3rd party email client.  You'd get your HughesNet email through that instead of having to always sign into the site, though you can still do the latter if you wish, of course.  A lot of people use Thunderbird, and it seems to work very well.  I did for a time, but I just didn't reinstall it after performing a clean install of Windows 10 last year, and with rarely using my HughesNet mail, I didn't see the need for it.  Thunderbird would allow you to avoid the time out issue.  That's not fixing the issue of course, but it's a workaround so you don't have to deal with it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck wrote:

So what is the purpose of being able to categorize email as spam?  

Though I don't use HughesNet's email for anything other than Community notifications, and only then because you can't use any other for such, categorizing items as Spam is basically to keep them separate from your normal email.  That way, you don't have to sift through your inbox to weed out all of the junk, as it's already been done for you.  Well, for the most part, anyway.  

And 100 - 125?  WOW!  I thought my 30 - 50 per day was a lot.  Double that would be even more frustrating.  And, unfortunately, many of my spam emails are identical, but from different addresses, and even domains.  I've given up blocking them as blocking a domain doesn't even do much anymore.

Basically, the advice I give to people is to use one email specifically for important things, like for sites where you pay bills or shop, and another for just about everything else.  That way, the most important emails you get will be to an address that probably won't get a lot of junk.  It's no doubt that you'll get some, but they won't be the type that you're probably getting a ton of now (the spam/scam garbage).  Granted, this doesn't tend to last, as it seems like the spammers/scammers always get your email address, but it at least it works for a while.  

As for timing out, that shouldn't be happening.  When I click the button after entering my credentials, my HughesNet email page takes a good bit to open as well, but it always eventually does.  Hopefully the reps will have some idea as to what could be causing the problem, as with your service working well, the mail should too.  

One last thing is maybe trying something like Thunderbird, which is a 3rd party email client.  You'd get your HughesNet email through that instead of having to always sign into the site, though you can still do the latter if you wish, of course.  A lot of people use Thunderbird, and it seems to work very well.  I did for a time, but I just didn't reinstall it after performing a clean install of Windows 10 last year, and with rarely using my HughesNet mail, I didn't see the need for it.  Thunderbird would allow you to avoid the time out issue.  That's not fixing the issue of course, but it's a workaround so you don't have to deal with it.