Slow Service Possible Tree in Line of Sight

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christygtx
New Poster

Slow Service Possible Tree in Line of Sight

I had my service installed yesterday. It was working when the tech left but noticed that it was very slow afterward. There was a hughes net dish and cable already run in my house from a previous resident. He didn't install any new cable, only put up a new dish. 

We are power users for the most part. I rely on my Internet services for my personal business and homeschooling. My kids will need access to stream youtube videos, watch a movie on netflix or hulu, play fortnite (we tried hardwiring this into the modem to avoid wireless latency too), and I upload videos to Youtube. 

I was told by a tech that I couldn't do any live  streaming like fort nite, hulu, or netflix. But this doesn't make sense as satellite service has drastically improved over the years. I also sought out reviews online before deciding to go with Hughes net. I'm hoping it isn't a mistake. Please help.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

While satellite service has drastically improved over the years, the latency inherent to satellite internet remains unchanged. Streaming is possible with satellite internet but it is subject to many variables that can slow down the experience, such as latency, congestion, internet traffic, network optimisation strategies, the streaming services themselves and how they react to latency, and others. So, while streaming works, it's not guaranteed and people's experiences with it vary enormously.  

Regarding games, while turn-based games work with satellite internet, real time games don't, due to latency. For more information, see https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

Also keep in mind that all the people and devices connected to your wifi will use data, which can be used very quickly (especially by streaming).  You will need to keep an eye on the data so you don't run out. 

View solution in original post

GabeU

@christygtx 

If by "power users" you mean a lot of streaming and other data intensive activities, HughesNet may not be the right service for you, as it's not really designed for cord cutting or cord cutting like activity.  Streaming in HD can use upwards 3GB or more per hour, depending on the streaming service.  Even with a 50GB plan, that's still only ~16 hours of streaming per month, and with everything else done via HughesNet using data, even that ~16 hours isn't at all realistic.  With SD it tends to range from about 700MB to 1MB per hour, again depending on the service.  

What the tech told you about streaming isn't necessarily true, though with congestion being higher than normal right now due to so many more people being home and on the service, and coupled with that congestion the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, streaming can be difficult at times.  

Fortnite will almost assuredly not work properly.  The average latency of 600 - 650ms makes it practically impossible to play real time online games, unfortunately. 

Regarding the slowdown after the tech left, though I don't know when they were there, it's possible that it coincided with the start of the late afternoon/early evening slowdown that often occurs due to that being the time when the highest number of people are online. 

The existing cable being reused by the tech should be fine.  If they were to see anything iffy with that cable they would have likely replaced it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade

While satellite service has drastically improved over the years, the latency inherent to satellite internet remains unchanged. Streaming is possible with satellite internet but it is subject to many variables that can slow down the experience, such as latency, congestion, internet traffic, network optimisation strategies, the streaming services themselves and how they react to latency, and others. So, while streaming works, it's not guaranteed and people's experiences with it vary enormously.  

Regarding games, while turn-based games work with satellite internet, real time games don't, due to latency. For more information, see https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

Also keep in mind that all the people and devices connected to your wifi will use data, which can be used very quickly (especially by streaming).  You will need to keep an eye on the data so you don't run out. 

GabeU

@christygtx 

If by "power users" you mean a lot of streaming and other data intensive activities, HughesNet may not be the right service for you, as it's not really designed for cord cutting or cord cutting like activity.  Streaming in HD can use upwards 3GB or more per hour, depending on the streaming service.  Even with a 50GB plan, that's still only ~16 hours of streaming per month, and with everything else done via HughesNet using data, even that ~16 hours isn't at all realistic.  With SD it tends to range from about 700MB to 1MB per hour, again depending on the service.  

What the tech told you about streaming isn't necessarily true, though with congestion being higher than normal right now due to so many more people being home and on the service, and coupled with that congestion the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, streaming can be difficult at times.  

Fortnite will almost assuredly not work properly.  The average latency of 600 - 650ms makes it practically impossible to play real time online games, unfortunately. 

Regarding the slowdown after the tech left, though I don't know when they were there, it's possible that it coincided with the start of the late afternoon/early evening slowdown that often occurs due to that being the time when the highest number of people are online. 

The existing cable being reused by the tech should be fine.  If they were to see anything iffy with that cable they would have likely replaced it.

Thank you for the feedback. I was under the impression it would be no issue. We only have limited options available in my neighborhood and I wanted higher speeds than 3gb DSL (dinosaur land). 😞 

I'm disappointed.