cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatBro
Sophomore

Speed tests - Hughes website vs testmy.net

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what is the difference between the speed tests at testmy.net, and those in the support section of the Hughesnet website?

I notice the moderators ask people to use testmy.net.

I just wondered what the difference is.   

Thanks,
Kathy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@KatBro

There are two main differences between testmy.net and HughesNet's speed test.  The first is that testmy.net is very reliable, whereas HughesNet's test is a bit wonky quite often, and the second is that testmy.net gives the ability to use a set size for tests, whereas HughesNet's test keeps running until the test lasts long enough.  A set test size is better for comparisons, especially when there is an issue.  

A third, less mentioned reason, is that each testmy.net result includes a test-in-progress graph, which can help when trying to determine the cause of a speed problem.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU

@KatBro

There are two main differences between testmy.net and HughesNet's speed test.  The first is that testmy.net is very reliable, whereas HughesNet's test is a bit wonky quite often, and the second is that testmy.net gives the ability to use a set size for tests, whereas HughesNet's test keeps running until the test lasts long enough.  A set test size is better for comparisons, especially when there is an issue.  

A third, less mentioned reason, is that each testmy.net result includes a test-in-progress graph, which can help when trying to determine the cause of a speed problem.  

GabeU,

Got it.  Makes sense.  Thanks for the information.

Kathy

GabeU

You're very welcome.  🙂