Speeds worst ever

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSMVanguard
Freshman

Speeds worst ever

Please help, since being forced to upgrade to Gen 5 just before Christmas my speeds have been the worst in 16 years. In the last month they have been so bad it takes hours to load. It took an hour of trying to just do this. I have run MyTest numerous times and 9 out of 10 times it times out. It really does not matter what time of day. No other devices, I followed the instructions to the letter

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gary%20Coker

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, hopefully the higher speed will hold. If it doesn't, make sure to run speed tests at different times of the day so you have a sample from sometime in the morning, sometime in the afternoon, and sometime in the evening.  Fingers crossed you won't need to. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade

Are you out of monthly data?  

No, I have about half of my 20, but I spend all my time reloading only to have web pages time out. That is where most of my data goes. I tried something earlier after reading another post. A gentlemen said he had moderate success after rebooting his modem every day. I tried that and thou not perfect it only took me about 15 minutes of fighting to load this page and write the response. Could I have a bad Modem ? Or something that screws it up every day ? BTW Thank You for your response, at least someone cares

CSMVanguard
Freshman

I don't understand how after months of super slow speeds, tonight's was .05 Mbps. Then after posting this I cam back 1 in the morning. It was an off the chart 47.87 Mbps. How is this possible ? Someone flip a magic switch ? If so, Thank You ! I have not had a speed like that in my 16 years with HughesNet. I realize it will not stay that high, but it has me puzzled. Even an hour later it is still 37.73 Mbps.

maratsade

Well, hopefully the higher speed will hold. If it doesn't, make sure to run speed tests at different times of the day so you have a sample from sometime in the morning, sometime in the afternoon, and sometime in the evening.  Fingers crossed you won't need to. 

The slowness can be due to one of several things, mostly from congestion or MTU timeouts at one or more locations:
1. The satellite beam

2. The groundstation, where the satellite links up to the terrestrial internet

3. The internet backbone that controls the path to the site.

4. The server at the site that you're trying to reach.

I also wouldn't rule out throttling at the backbone for some paths during some times of the day, though that's hard to prove unless you've done a trace route.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Sir you clearly are more Tech savvy than I am. However none of that explains why since Christmas 2021 my speeds have been rivaled by smoke signals. Then miraculously when I ask HughesNet Tech people for help my speeds exceed what I m contracted for. I am not complaining, I am saying Thank You for whatever it is they did. And Thank You to people like you who took the time to answer and educate a little. I just hope this miracle holds up. I hate wasting all my allotted data like I have this month on repeated reloads of my web Browser, Computer and Modem. Only to end up using my grandsons cell phone just to read my emails. Be Safe

My point was that slowness is sporadic: It comes and goes with the tide of people on the internet as well as those on HughesNet. Satellite is more susceptible to this just because of the nature of the beast.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
angelagezell

I am a new customer and my speed is horrible! I am starting to wish that I never got this service! Speed says excellent but it's not it takes forever to load anything

maratsade

If you're looking for tech support for your speed issues, please start your own ticket by going to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport, clicking on the blue button labeled +Start a topic, and providing more information about the issues you are encountering.  You will also need to run some speed tests. See https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607