State Code 23.1.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_T
Sophomore

State Code 23.1.1

Hi, I am 40 days into my Gen 5 plan and for the last 20 I have been suffering an intermittent problem. I will log into my computer in the morning and have no internet connection. The system light on the modem will be out and the other 5 will be lit. The system state code will be 23.1.1 TCP acceleration is down or other times it will say TCP acceleration is degraded and the gateway test will tell me I have no connection to the gateway. This fault has been present at least 12 times in the last 20 days, reboot does not seem to clear it so I end up disconnecting power for 10 minutes and after powering back up I can usually get online. Calling tech support can be frustrating because the first line of techs just want to get you back up and running, which is fine but this I am able to do myself, so getting to a higher level of support is not easy. When I did talk with the higher level techs they got online and did some software checks which never really helped and they ended up sending a replacement modem which hasn't helped either but at least that item can be eliminated now. Have you guys seen this issue before and perhaps know of a solution, my speeds sometimes seem a little low and I don't know if thats related but I didn't want to discuss that until the TCP thing was sorted.

thanks Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Liz arranged for a tech to come out and adjust my dish a little over a week ago which seems to have resolved my state code problem, thanks.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
MarkJFine
Professor

Actually, that's an error meaning the backbones are down and are unable to associate you with an IP gateway. The TCP acceleration is a side-issue of that. It could be possible that your gateway either had a power cut or was non-responsive for some other reason, to include inclement weather.

You can tell which gateway and beam you connect to/thru by looking at System Status and getting the three-letter/three-number part of the association code (e.g., J2SDO068HNSIGW0103) or by looking for the Gateway ID/Beam ID in System Information. This might give a clue as to what happened.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the reply MarkJFine, the numbers I have are NOR081, gateway ID 12 and beam 81. We had a bunch of rain a couple of days ago but other than that the weather for the last 3 weeks has been pretty good. At the moment I have 1 PC connected via ethernet, a Roku which Im not really using for now and an extender which was installed well after the issue began. There is also a second wifi network in the house with a 4G provider. I am hoping to eventually be able to walk away and leave my network to record during the off peak time, I have done this a couple of times but need to feel a little more secure the network won't fail during the middle of the night. Over a dozen times since the 6th December I would have thought if it were a gateway issue then others would also be seeing a problem.

regards Jeff

Ok, so the gateway is in North Platte, Nebraska. According to Weather Underground, it rained on the 17th and snowed on and off from the 23rd-25th, albeit mostly light snow. Doubtful if that affected things at the gateway, but it's slightly possible.

The next thing is to see if there were any other kinds of disruptions for that particular beam and gateway during the periods you mentioned, which the admins might be able to help determine. (cc: @Liz @Amanda)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks, what you'r saying is interesting, I'll keep an eye on things and try to record exactly whats going on if it fails again which I suspect it will.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just for info I'm on same gateway but Echostar 17 satellite, Gen4 plan and of course different beam. Haven't had similar problem as far as I know.

Might help to snip this page everyday at the same time for a week and post them:  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/diagnostics/hourly-history

Hi BirdDog, so our gateway is a physical piece of equipment we share and is located in Nebraska?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, it is the ground terminal that talks to the satellite and connects the signal to the internet. I'm in Arkansas but like you, my gateway terminal is in Nebraska.

It is a site with satellite dishes, lots of equipment including servers and cables connected to the internet. From what I understand they are also manned 24/7.

Just a thought, but if it routinely occurs during the Bonus period, say between 3 and 5 am, it's possible it was a series of server upgrades or other maintenance. That's when they typically do that sort of thing and could last for an hour or two.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

Just a thought, but if it routinely occurs during the Bonus period, say between 3 and 5 am, it's possible it was a series of server upgrades or other maintenance. That's when they typically do that sort of thing and could last for an hour or two.

Definitely possible and they aren't good about publishing such things.

Before I "retired", my routine was to get up at 2am and do upgrades, work out, then head off to work to beat the Northern Virginia traffic at 4-430. Used to really hate those unscheduled maintenance periods, but you knew you were in one because all the lights would be off, no signal, etc. lol

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

Before I "retired", my routine was to get up at 2am and do upgrades, work out, then head off to work to beat the Northern Virginia traffic at 4-430. Used to really hate those unscheduled maintenance periods, but you knew you were in one because all the lights would be off, no signal, etc. lol

Isn't that traffic a joy?  LOL.  Trying to go from Manassas to Fairfax in the morning on Rte 66, then back home in the late afternoon was SOOO much fun!  And the Capital Beltway is even more fun.  When I used to have to go to company meetings in Glen Burnie, MD it was a joke.  

The traffic is one thing I don't miss about NOVA, though I miss just about everything else and would move back there in a second if I had the opportunity and means.  

I had the joy of having 29 to I-66 and VA-28 up to Herndon. Was at my desk prepping for the rest of the day by 6am, every day. The good part was making it home for 3pm midweek kickoffs.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Oh yeah, 28 was fun, too, especially as the Dulles Corridor got larger and larger.  I left the area in 2000, and I know thats it's even more densely packed now.   

That is possible I guess MarkJFine, it usually is when I get on the PC in the morning, around 9-10am. But just seems like a lot of maintenance, my 20 day introductory period had no problems. Anyway lets see if if happens again shortly and see if the details are the same.

thanks Jeff

That was odd, I didn't see the last 3 or 4 posts when I replied last time, weird, maybe because they started a new page and I didn't expect so much response haha.

I am also retired but I usually think clearly.

Same again today, the only contradiction to the original post is that when I shut down the PC last night I was connected wifi. I have a few screen shots I'll attach one here now. One additional note, I use a different DNS for the ethernet than I do for wifi, the automatic DNS will not always take me to the requested web page, the page I first noticed this was Amazon. So my ethernet I use Googles DNS.SS10.jpg

Good morning Jeff_T,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Your site diagnostics aren't showing anything out of the ordinary, and I don't see any NOC reports indicating recent events which would've affected network performance. 

Can you please leave your modem connected and avoid reboot it? I'd like to check your state code history when these disconnects happen. In the meantime I will also escalate your case to engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Is this the info you were interested in?SS7.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Yes, thank you that's what I was looking for. I saved the pic so you may delete it (your SAN is visible) and repost it with the SAN edited out (if you want).

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It looks as though it failed a little earlier in the night this time

SS10_2.jpgSS7_2.jpg