The worst chat service I've ever experienced

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dardoo
New Poster

The worst chat service I've ever experienced

After reading a support area about data usage, I discovered Video Optimizer. It apparently will stretch out my priority data. It's supposed to be in community.hughesnet.com under Usage, but it isn't. 

My first thought was to use chat as it should be quick and simple.

To do this I entered my NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, SAN, and what I needed from them I can't find the Video Optimizer. Your instructions read to find it under Usage; however, under my Usage is not Video Optimizer.

After waiting 15 minutes, the chat agent asks me for the exact information that I already entered.

Ten minutes later, after chat agent supposedly checks my account and asks why I want to use the Video Optimizer to which I answered like above.

Two minutes later the chat agent finally answers "For us to better assist you on accessing the video optimizer, you need to call our phone supports. We have limited capabilities here on chat."

For the last 26 minutes, I've wasted my time with a system that apparently doesn't provide the chat agent with the data I've already provided or I'm dealing with someone just trying to waste time.

I realize I'm stuck with this service until my 24 month agreement ends or I'll be stuck with early termination penalty but with all the outages, waiting for service agents from cities far away, the amount of time I've wasted on dealing with your phone agents and chat agents, you'd think that my membership would be a loss for you.

How can you win when I always need some help that takes an hour or more of someone's phone time that results in either more issues or no real fix?

Every night during prime-time television viewing, our internet either goes down or gets really flakey. Most shows that we watch completely shut down. Some times we can restore the show, other times we have to wait 10 to 60 minutes for the net to return.

Thank goodness we have DVDs.

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hopefully one of the reps will be able to help with the Video Optimizer being missing. 

For reference, the way it actually works is that when it detects streaming activity, it throttles the available speed for that activity, causing the streaming service itself to automatically reduce the resolution, so you use less data. You can accomplish this same thing with most streaming services by setting the resolution either at the source or while viewing the content. The lower the resolution, the less data the streaming will use.

I'm not sure what it throttles to with Gen 6, but with Gen 4 and Gen 5 it's about 3 - 3.5Mbps. 

Also, streaming can be impacted by the combination of the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet and system congestion, the latter of which is, unfortunately, most prominent during primetime, when the largest number of people are trying to stream. That congestion will vary from beam to beam and gateway to gateway because of their individual system load at the given time, though more heavily loaded beams/gateways tend to see more congestion, of course. Because of this, how much data a person will actually save with the VDO on vs off/paused can also vary, as if the speed is significantly impacted by congestion, the resolution may already be low enough that the VDO won't really make any difference. But either way, streaming is a very data intensive activity. Even in SD, it can use upward of 1GB or more per hour of streaming, depending on the streaming service. 

Remy

dardoo,

Thank you for reaching out! It seems this is your first post. Welcome to the Community! I was able to get your account pulled up through your Community profile, which is great. Upon taking a look into the account, it seems your Video Optimizer is currently on. Please send a screenshot of the Usage dropdown to the private message link below.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/102584

Thanks,

Remy