Transmit / Uplink Problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_78933
Sophomore

Transmit / Uplink Problem

My Hughes system has started having transmit problems (state code 12.1.9) today. I rebooted the HT2000W modem once, when we lost internet access all together, and it helped to clear the problem for about an hour. But it has started to resume now. Web acceleration also drops out frequently, and I have to reset it. We have clear weather here, so it is not a rain/storm related issue. The modem is only a couple of years old. Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

David,

You are currently on our older Gen4 Power Pro plan, which is advertised at speeds of up to 10mbps download and up to 2mbps upload. Our Gen5 plans are where we offer 25mbps down and 3mbps up, and I'd strongly recommend calling in to 1-866-347-3292 for more information on a possible upgrade to it!

Thanks,

Remy

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Weather issues at the gateway can affect your signal too.  If there's a problem at the gateway, it's usually temporary. The mods here can probably check your system remotely and see what's going on. Give them some time to respond. 

Thanks. I should have mentioned that there is no weather in Wyoming at the gateway, either.
maratsade

Best to let the mods check to see whether there's an issue at your location or something going on at the ground station. They usually respond within a day or two, but if you're in a hurry, you can always call the customer service number (24/7) or use the chat. 

David_78933 wrote:
Thanks. I should have mentioned that there is no weather in Wyoming at the gateway, either.

don_Ell
Freshman

I've been having this same exact issue starting tonight.  I have an older Gen 4 system and I've been suspecting that age is catching up to it.  The weather here is fine, clear, sunny, and hot.  Best I can figure the gateway is in Montana, the weather is clear there as well.  I did some research and people with similar problems have had radio issues.  So I called and upgraded to Gen 5 hoping that it upgraded the transmitter as well.  Turns out that it doesn't.

I called a tech who had me reboot the system.  Of course, it cleared the error state (I had done this before), and seeing that the board was green he didn't see a need to do anything else.  So in frustration I just went with the upgrade.  It needed to be done anyway, but somehow, I seriously suspect the radio is succumbing to heat/moisture.

Of course, within a half hour it glitched again.

Annotation 1.jpgAnnotation 2.jpg

Any help is appreciated.  It could be something temporary on Hughesnet's end.  I've noticed that recently I've had more glitching, I've just now started watching it more closely.

maratsade

Don, you will need to start your own topic under Tech Support. Go to the Tech Support page, click on the "start a topic" button and post your issue (you can copy and paste from here). The mods address tickets separately, and it's very likely your post here will go unanswered by them unless it's under its own ticket.  The mods are here M-F during business hours. 

don_Ell wrote:

I've been having this same exact issue starting tonight.  I have an older Gen 4 system and I've been suspecting that age is catching up to it.  The weather here is fine, clear, sunny, and hot.  Best I can figure the gateway is in Montana, the weather is clear there as well.  I did some research and people with similar problems have had radio issues.  So I called and upgraded to Gen 5 hoping that it upgraded the transmitter as well.  Turns out that it doesn't.

My modem and radio were both replaced two years ago. I would hope those major components would last more than two years, but...? It's definitely hot here in Texas this week, but it gets this hot every summer.
maratsade

They're probably fine. The problem may be at your gateway or it may be issues with your beam. What beam are you on?

David_78933 wrote:
My modem and radio were both replaced two years ago. I would hope those major components would last more than two years, but...? It's definitely hot here in Texas this week, but it gets this hot every summer.

Satellite Name EchoStar-17-NAD Gateway ID 9 Beam ID 52

MIS - Missoula, Montana

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

There used to be a map of the older sat's beams. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

There used to be a map of the older sat's beams. 

SatBeams has the beam footprints for all of HughesNet's current sats, I believe.  This includes the now corrected footprints for the ES19, as well as those for the ES17 and Spaceway 3 satellites.  I'm not sure about the older ones that they leased capacity from, however.  Granted, they don't have maps that show all of the beams at the same time like the one you're referring to, but you can see the footprint of each beam individually.

maratsade

I've tried using SatBeams but can't figure out how. Herp derp.

David_78933
Sophomore

Here's a Monday morning update on my situation. The transmit / uplink problem has continued unchanged all weekend, and the State Code Monitor shows it out of commission about as much as it is working. Email only sends and receives sporadically. No change from daytime to night time. Line of sight to the satellite is clear, and the receive signal strength remains strong. I power cycled the modem on Sunday morning, rather than rebooting from the App. That had no impact on performance. The modem AC adapter is plugged into a UPS, with a steady 121-123V output. I tagged my initial post for Amanda, who had helped me last time I had an issue in 2018, but it doesn't appear that she hasn't been active for Tech Support since last year. Hopefully someone else will address my post if that's true.
maratsade

I hope someone gets back to you soon. @Liz , @KathyVoss , @Damian , @Remy 

David,

Thank you for posting! I was able to look into your account and keep up with the errors you've been keeping track of. The normal culprit of these issues is either a Gateway issue, as maratsade and Gabe were discussing, or a general alignment issue. I looked into both, and neither seem to be an issue. In that case, the most likely issue is the equipment malfunctioning, and I've seen an influx of errors within the modem itself. I'm going to be sending you a new modem, with the fees waived. When you receive the box, it'll have a prepaid shipping label meant for return of the previous equipment. Please let us know if this new equipment resolves your issues!

Thanks,

Remy

Thanks, Remy! Any idea how long the new modem will take to get here? And will there be instructions with the new modem, or is plug & play?

David,

It normally takes between 1-3 days from what I've experienced, so expect it by Thursday! There should be instructions on how to get the modem up and going as well.

Thanks,

Remy

Thanks, Remy.

Remy, overnight last night my system resumed "normal" operation. There have been no system state codes today. Upload speeds are consistently in the 1.8-2.2 Mbps range, with an occasional one at 0.2. My question -- Should I go ahead and replace the modem now (due here today, per UPS), or wait until it acts up again so I can be sure the modem is in fact the real issue?

David,

I would recommend trying out the new modem! It'll eliminate the old modem as a possibility, and hopefully end any experimenting we'd have to do with you.

Thanks,

Remy