Two Months of Slow Speed, Even After Gen 5 Upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colby
Sophomore

Two Months of Slow Speed, Even After Gen 5 Upgrade

I've been experiencing close to dial up speeds for almost two months. My slow speed issue started around the middle of November, 2017. I was on the Gen 4 plan at the time. I had been on the plan for around 5 years. A technician came to my home about 6 times within a couple of weeks. He performed all of his tests and said he "rebuilt my whole system". The slow speeds continued after changing all of my equipment. Finally, he told me there was an issue with the satellite that I was on. I decided to upgrade to Gen 5, as I was told I would be switched over to the newer satelitte. 

Once on the Gen 5 plan, I continued to have near dial up speeds, somewhere around 200 kbps download. The technician told me that he didn't know what else to try. Once he left the home, I noticed (on systemcontrol page) that I was left on the same satellite that I had to begin with. Since this time I have contacted customer support multiple times each week. Each time I am told that my case is being escalated to the engineers and I will receive a call back in 3-5 business days. I am never called back on any of the escalations. I have been told "what case?", "sorry, your case was resolved and closed", "the engineers are really behind", "I'm speaking to upper management to resolve this", "we are sending an email to management", etc. 

After several rounds of not receiving call backs from anyone, and having my cases closed or lost for some reason, I started to call customer support throughout the week to ensure my escalation is still open. I am always told yes, my case is still open. However, I never receive a call. I always have the customer support rep verify my phone number each time to prevent an issue.  Each time I call back after the 5 days have passed, the process is started over again, I wait another week, and never receive a call back from anyone.

I have repeated this process over and over again for over a month. My most recent call (2 days ago) I was told that an "email is being sent" and that I will receive a call from engineers within 24 hours. However, I never received a call. Calling customer support is not getting my issue resolved. 

I recently started trying to call the corporate office, but no one answers the phone. I have verified the number, so I know that's not the issue. 

Can anyone help me resolve this issue? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning Colby,

Engineering has an update planned for your gateway tonight which should address the intermittent connectivity you're seeing. To be safe, please power cycle the HughesNet modem before you use the internet tomorrow. To power cycle the modem, unplug the power cable from its power brick and replug after 30 seconds. Allow some time for the modem to recover before attempting to browse. Please let me know if the disconnects go away after this.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Once on the Gen 5 plan, I continued to have near dial up speeds, somewhere around 200 kbps download. "

Not even close to dial up. 

"However, I never receive a call. I always have the customer support rep verify my phone number each time to prevent an issue.  Each time I call back after the 5 days have passed, the process is started over again, I wait another week, and never receive a call back from anyone."

That's pretty shoddy customer service and it's really unacceptable.

GabeU

@Colby

I'll tag the reps.  There may be a reason that you were left on the ES17 satellite.  Hopefully they can give you some answers.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, but it may take them a day or two to reply. 

@Liz

@Amanda

Thanks! I hope to hear from someone soon.

Hi Colby,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. For your beam, we've deployed code to help address speed concerns, but that was at the beginning of the month. I'll escalate to our engineers here at corporate for their insight. In the meantime, please run at least 3 speed tests at speedtest.net spaced 5 minutes apart while directly connected to the HughesNet modem. Since you have the HT2000w now, please also disable the wifi there so that there isn't additional wifi traffic while you're running speed tests.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Ok, Thank you @Liz. I hope to get this resolved eventually. I haven't noticed much of a difference since the beginning of the month. The last speed test I ran on (testmy.net) yesterday was 500 kbps download. But this evening, the connection is especially slow.

Good morning Colby,

The engineer hasn't found anything out of the ordinary with your beam, so I've requested for his examination of your site in particular. Once I have any news or additional questions, I'll let you know.

sounds like continued run around. "exinamtion of your site" sounds like they will blame the earth around you!

how do you spell viasat?

GabeU

@to23ni wrote:

sounds like continued run around. "exinamtion of your site" sounds like they will blame the earth around you!

how do you spell viasat?

Please stop invading people's threads with your unhelpful critiques.  

If you want help, please ask for it.  If you want to help, please do.  But please stop doing what you're doing.  This is a SUPPORT site.  

Hey @Liz. Any updates on my slow speed issue? It's been over two months now and I'd like to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, this may be an issue for another thread, but I want to mention that my monthly data allowance seems to be disappearing in large chunks. Since I've been at work all day, all devices automatic updates turned off, I've somehow lost around 2gigs of data.

Thanks. I hope to hear an update soon.

Hi Colby,

Thank you for your patience while your case was investigated. The engineer just informed me that he didn't notice any issues with your site in particular, but he made an adjustment to yout site anyway and sees no issue now. Please let me know how your system performance is now.

Regarding unidentified data usage, I suggest checking our stickied thread on that topic.

Hi @Liz,

My slow speed issue has improved. I'm somewhere around 15-20 mbps on the download speed tests for the past week or so (7mbps tonight for some reason). I'm still having some issues with brief drops in service. I really only notice it when I play an online card game (that I've played for around 4 or 5 years with no issue). Kinda sad, but this is mainly what I use the internet for, so pretty frustrating.

The diagnostics show some errors with uplink. I also notice packet loss happening more often than it did before all of my issues began. When this happens system control says that I have limited connectivity to the gateway. This has been happening even during clear weather. Browsing is decent now, but its frustrating when I have regular periods of packet loss and brief drops in service.

Thanks for the help.

Colby

Good morning Colby,

Thank you for this update, glad to hear about the improved speeds, but we definitely want to look into this intermittent connectivity. I'll run new diagnostics to to be sure everything else is ok. We'll post back once we have any updates for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

@Liz, thanks. I've ran several speed tests and my upload speed seems slow. I know upload is advertised as up to 3mpbs, but my upload is around 600 kbps. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but it seems like this should be higher. I was previously told by tech support that "upload is not that important",  but seems like it could be a problem when I'm playing the simple, turn based card game. Which like I mentioned before, is my primary use of the internet. I had no issue with this for several years on the gen4 plan, so something is up after switching to gen5.

I know you're busy, but thought this information may be helpful.

Thanks,

Colby

@Liz

I wanted to provide an update on my issues. My connection drops seem to be getting worse over the past several days. I've ran a bunch of connectivity tests and I'm getting packet loss and "limited connectivity to the gateway" on a regular basis. I can run a test, no packet loss, 30 seconds later, 10-20% packet loss. I can run 10 connectivity tests within a few minutes and am consistently showing packet loss. This happens most of the evening.. This happens when there is clear weather outside. This makes attempting to use the internet very difficult and frustrating. I'm really hoping you can help me out with this issue because I don't know any other way of resolving this. I can't call customer service because that has not helped in the past. It will most likely be escalated and I will most likely never hear back from them, delaying this being resolved.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

@Liz

Any updates on this? All throughout the day, even on days with good weather, constant "limited connectivity to the gateway" and packet loss. This happens on wifi and directly plugged in. Nothing is blocking the dish and everything is connected tightly.

I know you guys are busy dealing with issues of other customers, but this has been going on for far too long. I haven't had a reliable connection in months. Yes, the speeds are back up to acceptable levels, but I am constantly disconnecting.

I hope someone can provide an update soon. 

Thanks,

Colby

Hi Colby,

Thank you for your updates, I do apologize for the delay. I've pinged engineering and included some new updates. I ran diagnostics on your site and also see the packet loss, so I've included that while reaching out to the engineers.  Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

@Liz Thanks for looking into this for me. Its very frustrating to deal with! 

Good morning Colby,

Engineering has an update planned for your gateway tonight which should address the intermittent connectivity you're seeing. To be safe, please power cycle the HughesNet modem before you use the internet tomorrow. To power cycle the modem, unplug the power cable from its power brick and replug after 30 seconds. Allow some time for the modem to recover before attempting to browse. Please let me know if the disconnects go away after this.

@Liz

Sorry for the delay. It was raining for the first couple of days after the update, so I couldn't tell if it fixed my issue. Anyway, so far it appears that my issue is resolved. I haven't had any random disconnects for the past several days.

Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it!

Good morning Colby, no worries, I appreciate you making sure before giving this update. Glad to hear this! If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to post in the community again.