Unable to stream still

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaiserfamily
Sophomore

Unable to stream still

HughesNet has never been able to allow me to stream without major buffering. It takes 5 hours to watch a 2 hour movie. I am going through an amazon fire stick which uses WiFi not LAN. Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

See, this is what I'm talking about. Sounds to me like that's not a simple 683mb movie. In fact if it were, you should have no problem streaming even in FAP.

@@@Kaiserfamily wrote:
Yes congestion maybe a factor but when you are paying so much for so little shouldn’t that be factored in with service? Comcast and AT&T doesn’t suffer from this.

What you're paying for is the sunk cost, technology, real estate, and overhead required to bring a 2-way satellite signal to your house. The costs are mind boggling. You really can't compare it to the cost involved in terrestrial (Comcast and AT&T) which is nothing more than a server and some cabling (or fiber) from 3-5 miles away, and not a whole lot of overhead at all - we're talking pennies on the dollar.

Next, consider that satellite has a finite amount of end-user spot beams (~97 are used), with a finite amount of bandwidth per spot beam. You're sharing that beam with others over an area covering a few hundred miles in either direction, not just a handful of expandable servers for a single neighborhood.

Each spot beam, is then merged with signals from other spot beams, and channelled through one of about 17 ground stations matrixed about the west coast, which are then connected to an upstream provider on the internet.

The key here is 'finite' because you can't just call a tech, fly up to the satellite and add a new beam like you can with a terrestrial service.

So what you do, whatever others are doing on your router, the same beam you're on, and even the ground station you share adversely affects the congestion that you see. I think we did the math on here once and came to the conclusion that the resource demands created by only 40 people on the same beam simultaneously watching an HD movie could feasibly shut the whole beam down.

I'm not even including the impact that 500ms latency (satellite: ~72k miles vs. terrestrial 3-5 miles) has on trying to do resource intense activities such as streaming.

You're right, Comcast and AT&T don't suffer from this, but they're not even close to being the same thing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Kaiserfamily

I don't know if streaming with the FireStick triggers the Video Data Saver to kick in, but just in case, it may be beneficial to turn off, or pause (Snooze), the Video Data Saver if you're streaming in HD.  If the VDS does kick in, doing so should help with the buffering.  

What is Video Data Saver?  

I wasn't sure if I needed to buy a Wifi booster to make streaming work.

Hi Kaiserfamily,

As Gabe has mentioned, the video data saver might not be communicating well with the fire stick. I would recommend snoozing the video data saver to see if that improves the buffering. You can locate this under My Account>Settings. I would also make sure to go through and change the resolution settings to standard definition or to medium this way you do not use as much data. As for now I would not worry about a Wi-Fi booster being that you are so close to the modem. Again, if you have any further questions, drop them here! Thanks!

*Felicia*