cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pferron
Sophomore

Update to "This site can't be reached--after HughesNet modem replacement"

This refers to a thread marked Solved.  

The problem actually was NOT fixed by rebooting all of the equipment. 

In the first reboot, to simplify things I did NOT restart a wireless D-Link modem I use to add ports and range to my network.   I left it off, and everything worked ok, making me think the reboot solved the problem.  After a couple of days, I plugged the D-Link router into the wall socket to restart it, and shortly thereafter some of my devices started having the "This site can't be reached" problem again.

I did the power-off/reboot everything routine, including the D-Link, but that did NOT work.  I puzzled over this for a while, then I unplugged the D-Link.  Everything starting working again.  I plugged the D-Link back in, and the problem returned.  Aha!  

So the problem was that the D-Link modem was "polluting" the network with bad DNS addresses for some websites.  I have no idea how this actually happens, nor have I tried to restore the D-Link modem to working condition.  It is gathering dust in a box at the bottom of a closet, unplugged and no longer causing harm.  

In other news, Hughes customer service is demanding that I return the old HT1100 modem (it was zapped by lightning, the original cause of my recent troubles).  I'm being threatened with a $125 unreturned equipment fee.  Oddly, the written instructions I received with the replacement modem directed me to NOT return the old failed HT1100, presumably because it is an out-of-date model.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hello pferron,

Thank you for the followup, it is unfortunate about the router. Perhaps it can be used as a repeater later on. Regarding the return of the HT1100, you are correct it does not need to be returned. It is possible our agents are looking at an old guide, so I'll check out the case notes and find out what they were referencing so it can be updated. 

-Amanda

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Amanda

Hello pferron,

Thank you for the followup, it is unfortunate about the router. Perhaps it can be used as a repeater later on. Regarding the return of the HT1100, you are correct it does not need to be returned. It is possible our agents are looking at an old guide, so I'll check out the case notes and find out what they were referencing so it can be updated. 

-Amanda

I called customer service and was assured that I will not be asked about the modem again, and will not be charged for failing to return it.  Thanks

Amanda

pferron,

I can't seem to locate recent notes from a customer service rep. Are you receiving the return notification through email? 

-Amanda

Yes I received the return demand via email.   Here is the text:

Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:02 PM
To: redacted
Subject: Notification Id :REMOT: RMA 20 DAY HUGHES : RMA equipment not received - 20 days

Dear redacted,

We hope your experience installing the replacement HughesNet modem went smoothly. We want to let you know that we have not yet received your faulty modem at the repair center. We shipped your replacement unit to your address on file on May 31,2019.

Please be advised: Hughes will charge your account an unreturned equipment fee if we do not receive the faulty modem in the next 20 days. If billed, this 125.00 USD fee will be collected in addition to your monthly service charge via your standard payment method (your credit/debit card on file or via invoice).

Already shipped it? Thanks!  You can monitor the status of the receipt of your shipment through the website rmastatus.hughesnet.com. This web site requires your RMA Request ID 121106387  for security purposes. Please note this number for your records. Please allow up to five business days to process your return.

Haven't shipped it yet?  If you haven't returned the faulty modem yet, please ship it to the address below. We encourage you to obtain and retain a tracking number when shipping your modem back to us. Please allow up to five business days to process your return.

Hughes Network Systems, LLC
RMA Number : 303275482
16060 Industrial Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Sincerely,
Hughes Customer Service.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@pferron 

This is only concerning your most recent reply, but you should edit your email address out of it.  Keep in mind that, though proprietary, this site is viewable by the general public, and the general public having your email address can range from being annoying to being a security risk.  

To edit a post, click on the three dots to the upper right of the message body of the post and click "Edit reply".  

Whoops, and thanks.

Hi pferron, 

Thank you for providing the email you received, this is helpful. I am not sure why you got it and will follow up with our billing team to double check the automated rules are correct. I can confirm that the RMA is indeed completely closed out and there will be no charges for unreturned equipment.

Thanks,

Amanda