Usage meter download

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Usage meter download

So I thought I could download the usage meter from the Usage page under My Account, but it's not there.Then I went to this page: https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/what-is-usage-meter but the download link just spins and spins and the download never starts. Is there another place to download this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi folks,

We had some discussions around the Usage Meter as well after your feedback was sent up. Apparently the desktop client's adoption rate is low now since usage can be checked via the support center and the mobile app. 

Regarding the functionality of the current desktop client, it will continue to work as long as it remains installed, but can't be reinstalled on another PC or the same one after re-imaging. As Kathy mentioned, moving forward, your best options for checking usage are the mobile app, the support center, and also the SCC.

As a last resort to advocate for a desktop client, I submitted some options via our suggestion pipeline. If we have any good news to share on that front, you'll definitely hear from us! (Don't hold your breath.)

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Is the usage meter still supported after 8/1/2020?
maratsade

The page says it won't be.  I wonder though if I can still use it, as for me it's more convenient to have it on a laptop than to reach for the iphone every time I want to check the usage.  But if it's gone, I'll adapt, no worries (Edit: And I can use the SCC if needed).  BTW, good to see you, Reggie!

@Reggie wrote:
Is the usage meter still supported after 8/1/2020?

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I was thinking about this a couple days ago. I'm wondering if HN is going to provide a new meter? I hope everyone is staying safe.
maratsade

That's a good question, Reggie. I hope @Liz will chime in.  I'm OK with just using the SCC (and the phone if needed -- I do like that I can check the app when away from home; that's a big plus); I think I've just gotten attached to the meter. 

Doing fine here; hope you and yours are staying well.  I also hope you'll participate  here more often. 🙂

@Reggie wrote:
I was thinking about this a couple days ago. I'm wondering if HN is going to provide a new meter? I hope everyone is staying safe.

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will pass your feedback on to management. We do offer different options for the customer to be able to view the data usage. You can always download the mobile app, System Control Center, and Customer Management Center.

Kathy

maratsade

Kathy, does this mean the meter is going away and won't be replaced?   No need to apologise, by the way -- business is business and it's all adapt or die....:) 

KathyVoss wrote:

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will pass your feedback on to management. We do offer different options for the customer to be able to view the data usage. You can always download the mobile app, System Control Center, and Customer Management Center.

Kathy

GabeU

Don't forget this one, though you have to be signed in like with the My Account site.  

Capture.JPG

@KathyVoss wrote:

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will pass your feedback on to management.

Sad to see the desktop apps no longer being supported. I was one of the people that provided some recommended mods to the javascript code.

I guess my questions are:

1. How long will the current app continue to operate? And,

2. If no app will replace this one, would it be possible for someone to publish an API so that people like myself could possibly build a replacement (obviously less the token purchase and mailbox capabilities)?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote: 

2. If no app will replace this one, would it be possible for someone to publish an API so that people like myself could possibly build a replacement (obviously less the token purchase and mailbox capabilities)?

I hope that they allow this if it's going stop working on 8/1.  Then again, I'm hoping against hope that they change their mind about it.  It's very convenient.  You look at the ring and instantly know where you are in the month, and if you need more detailed info it's a simple double click.  No need to go to a web page.  No need to sign into anything.  It's just there and instantly available to see.

The only way the Usage part is going to stop working is if they alter the modem firmware, because that's what the app talks to for that info.

Other parts talk to a server down range. Those particular things might get disrupted with changes at the server (e.g. database info), but I would think the current usage part would remain operational.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I still can't download the executable.  EDIT: I thought that'd be available until Aug 1. 🙂

@MarkJFine wrote:

The only way the Usage part is going to stop working is if they alter the modem firmware, because that's what the app talks to for that info.

Other parts talk to a server down range. Those particular things might get disrupted with changes at the server (e.g. database info), but I would think the current usage part would remain operational.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant
maratsade

Thanks, Reggie, but it's the link to the executable that doesn't work.  

HNmeterDLerror.jpg

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

What OS do you have on your computer?
maratsade

The device I wanted to add the meter to has Win 10 Pro.  However, if they're going to stop supporting the software, there will not be any more updates or fixing of issues, it may make no sense to install it on it. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

The link says the meter will not work with WIN10. Scroll to the bottom of the link.
maratsade

I have the usage meter installed on 3 Windows 10 devices. 

And I have it installed on a Win10 VM.

maratsade

@GabeU has it on a Win 10 Pro device, or maybe more than one.  I wonder why the page says it doesn't work on Win 10. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Now you know why I normally don't respond to many posts. I don't like to give untrue information to anyone. Have a good day.