cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Using tokens

SQOTD*:

I haven't used tokens in yonks so I don't remember how they work. I don't plan to be out of data and in need of tokens, but I have saved up 25 GB worth of tokens, and I am just curious about how one deploys them.

tokenbytes.PNG

Say I run out of data and I need to do data intensive stuff, so the SmartBrowsing isn't enough. Can I deploy one token at a time, or do I have to deploy all of them? I wouldn't want to lose all 25GB of tokens in one go.

Also, can I deploy tokens while  in SmartBrowsing mode, or do I have to wait until I'm in actual throttle mode?

*SQTOD: Stupid Question of The Day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade

Thank you for the thorough answers, @BirdDog, @Gwalk900, @GabeU, @C0RR0SIVE. And this is why you guys will always be champions, no matter what title the system gives you.

I haven't run out of data and had to rely on tokens, I think, since I had Gen3, so I had totally forgotten how they worked, and on Gen4 I've never run out of data so as to go to SmartBrowsing -- I thought SmartBrowsing would kick in first and then tokens.  After reading the replies, that of course doesn't make any sense (facepalm!).

Now I understand the flow, and I'm relieved that tokens are used as needed but if there's a remainder, it stays on the account. I was concerned they would all disappear like the carryover data from Verizon (it only stays on the account for one cycle and then it's gone).

I "used" all of my tokens in the sense that I moved them all to the tokens bucket.  By deploy, I meant putting them to work, but of course that's automatic when the data runs out. Big duh in hidnsight!!

thanks.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

maratsade, a tad confused by the question, old brain syndrome. If showing as "Token Bytes Available" it means you have clicked "use" on them previously and they are in your "bucket" awaiting use when you go over normal allowance. They will be used automatically, you won't be throttled unless you also burn through all token bytes available.

Only what you actually use in bytes is deducted, the rest reamains until needed in the future. If by "deploy" you mean "use" then you can click that anytime and they will be placed in the available bucket whether being throttled or not.

To clarify, you can "use" one or a hundred tokens and the bytes will sit in the "Token Bytes Available" until needed. I always use any token I have available and leave them in the "Token Bytes Available" bucket. Just a matter of prefernce. Then I know what I have available by looking at the status meter instead of clicking on Purchase Token to see what I haven't used yet.

Does that answer what you are asking? And no stupid questions here. Smiley Happy

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

See if this helps,

There are two methods that can be used to access and manage tokens.
The first method is to open the Download Status Meter:

photo gwalk1_zpsgpnwdaci.png
From its main page click the "purchase tokens" button at the upper right. That will open the following window giving the current status of your Tokens and Token options:
 photo gwalk2_zpsy18cpeqt.png
The second method of access to token management can be found by going to the myAccount webpage:
http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount
Once logged in select the "Meter" tab on the screens upper left then scroll down slightly if needed and click the "Buy Tokens" button as shown below:
 photo gwalk3_zpskxlrensz.png

That will open the following dialog box:
 photo gwalk4_zps5q3khtzw.png
Remember that Tokens that have been "used" from either of the two management screens will, after a short delay, be "moved" to your "Available Token Data" data bucket.

The amount of data that is staged for automatic use can be seen in all three data usage meters:
#1: The Modems SCC meter found at 192.168.0.1
 photo gwalk5_zpsgak9cvdw.png
#2: The Download Status Meter main page:
 photo gwalk6_zps3efbzrls.png
#3: The "meter" tab of the myAccount page:
 photo gwalk7_zps9knzak3i.png

GabeU

One additional thing.  SmartBrowsing will only kick in when you have used all available data during the given time.  So, if you are on during the middle of the day and you exhaust your Anytime Data, data will be drawn from your Token bucket.  Then, if your Token bucket data is depleted, SmartBrowsing kicks in, but not until then.    

It's the same with the Bonus Bytes period.  If on during this period and you exhaust your Bonus Bytes, the system will then draw from your Anytime Data.  If you then exhaust the Anytime Data, the system will draw from your Token bucket.  If you then exhaust your Token bucket data, SmartBrowsing will kick in.  So, during the Bonus Bytes period, all three data areas would have to be depleted before SmartBrowsing kicks in.    

If on Gen5 it's the same thing, only the new FAP has replaced SmartBrowsing (or so it appears).  

BTW...the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Like GabeU stated, if you have data sitting in your Token Bytes Available bucket, Smartbrowse will not kick in till those are fully exhausted.

maratsade

Thank you for the thorough answers, @BirdDog, @Gwalk900, @GabeU, @C0RR0SIVE. And this is why you guys will always be champions, no matter what title the system gives you.

I haven't run out of data and had to rely on tokens, I think, since I had Gen3, so I had totally forgotten how they worked, and on Gen4 I've never run out of data so as to go to SmartBrowsing -- I thought SmartBrowsing would kick in first and then tokens.  After reading the replies, that of course doesn't make any sense (facepalm!).

Now I understand the flow, and I'm relieved that tokens are used as needed but if there's a remainder, it stays on the account. I was concerned they would all disappear like the carryover data from Verizon (it only stays on the account for one cycle and then it's gone).

I "used" all of my tokens in the sense that I moved them all to the tokens bucket.  By deploy, I meant putting them to work, but of course that's automatic when the data runs out. Big duh in hidnsight!!

thanks.png