VERY slow email access

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgrobison1
Sophomore

VERY slow email access

I just changed out my old machine for a new one, multi core, intel i5 64 bit machine with 12 gig of ram. at first email was loading normally, now it takes sometimes three tries to access it. After sign in  the LOADING note on the  grey square appears then goes out and it sits with white screen. nothing else. after two or  three tries it finally loads. I have rebooted, cleared history  and cache still same results. also now my contact list is missing. I do still have contacts in my in box. how can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Liz,

My Contact Lists and emailed lists are back. Everything seems to be fine. 

Thank you.

Bill R

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wgrobison1 

If you have any extensions installed in your browser, it's possible that one (or more) of them is causing an issue.  I would try disabling all of them, then testing to see if it makes any difference.  If it does, add them back in one by one to see which one it is that's causing the problem.

It would also be a good idea to try an alternate browser.  

Also, I would try power cycling your modem.  To do so, shut down your PC, unplug the HughesNet modem from the power outlet, wait at least one minute, plug it back in, then wait at least five minutes before starting your device and trying again.

One last thing would be clearing your DNS cache, though if you've restarted your computer it would have done it for you.  To manually clear the DNS cache, bring up the Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotes, and hit enter.  Please note there's a space between the g and /.

I have tried all of those suggestions GABU and still the same, It eventually comes up but much much slower than it was

Email seems to be working ok this morning, TY GabeU

I guess I spoke too soon, email is doing the same thing again. Very slow  loading

Good morning wgrobison1, 

Thanks for reaching out. Is it just the HughesNet webmail that loads slowly? How do other pages load for you? Please walk me through how exactly you're accessing webmail starting with the URL you go to first when you launch your browser.

If you have another device to try, does the slowness persist there?

If you're able to try your new PC on a non-HN connection, does webmail still load slowly? If not, does a phone on a cellular network load webmail normally?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,

Yes it is only hughesnet mail that is slow, also all of my email contacts are gone

Thanks wgrobison1.

Please walk me through how exactly you're accessing webmail starting with the URL you go to first when you launch your browser.

If you have another device to try, does the slowness persist there?

If you're able to try your new PC on a non-HN connection, does webmail still load slowly? If not, does a phone on a cellular network load webmail normally?

Is this where you normally saw your email contacts? You used to see this screen populated?

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Yes Liz, that  is what I see when email page comes up. Nothing in the contacts or emailed contacts though it says there is nothing there

maratsade

You may want to answer Liz's other questions so your case can move forward. 

Ok, I turn on computer, log in then cllick on MS Edge icon . That opens MyHughesnet home page. I click on Email in upper right corner, login screen comes up, I click that  and it goes to white screen a note at the bottom left says  ,  "waiting for cache" then sometimes a grey box appears in mid screen  with "loading" below it. some times that goes out then blank white screen, other times it justs keeps saying "loading" The menu bar  shows https://email.hughes.net.    

when I do finally access the page, all emailed contacts and contacts saved are gone. This is the same problem I had a few weeks ago on my old computer

maratsade

If you're able to try your new PC on a non-HN connection, does webmail still load slowly?

If not, does a phone on a cellular network load webmail normally?

@wgrobison1 wrote:

Ok, I turn on computer, log in then cllick on MS Edge icon . That opens MyHughesnet home page. I click on Email in upper right corner, login screen comes up, I click that  and it goes to white screen a note at the bottom left says  ,  "waiting for cache" then sometimes a grey box appears in mid screen  with "loading" below it. some times that goes out then blank white screen, other times it justs keeps saying "loading" The menu bar  shows https://email.hughes.net.    

when I do finally access the page, all emailed contacts and contacts saved are gone. This is the same problem I had a few weeks ago on my old computer

Well... this morning early and now @ 9:45   my email is loading ok, still missing all my contact though

maratsade

Yeah, until you answer the questions asked by Liz, you're basically in a holding pattern and nothing's getting solved. Up to you, though. 

Hello wgrobison1,

I've escalated your email contact concern to our e-mail admins. I'll let you know if I have any updates there to share.

-Liz

Liz, 

I apologize for not answering your questions but I am not computer literate.  My other machine quit so I replaced it. I do not have a phone   to check it with. I did use my wife's computer and logged into my email. It logged in ok but still the contact list and emailed contact list are both empty. you mention trying from other tha HN . did you mean like Yahoo or foxfire?

thank you for being patient

No worries, we can go at your own pace. Thank you for the clarification. I'm looking at your site and I see you have a Cisco-Linksys router connected to your modem, is that right? If so, I suggest turning off the wifi on the HughesNet modem.

You can follow the steps here to get to the wifi settings in your HughesNet modem to turn off wifi. You have to uncheck the box next to SSID Enable under the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz tabs. Let me know if you need help with this. 

If you're able to turn off the wifi on the HughesNet modem, please let me know if you notice any difference in loading your email.

Thanks,

Liz

I did finally figure out how to turn off  the wifi for 2.4 ghz . I still can't pull up contacts or emailed contacts

Hi wgrobison1,

That's great! I see that the wifi is off now, so you can use your Cisco-Linksys router with no threat of interference from the HughesNet's own wifi network.

The purpose of eliminating that source of wifi interference is to see if it improves the speed of your email access. So, when you try to access your email, how is it now? Does it still seem unusually slow?

Your concern about the e-mail contacts is a separate matter, which I've already escalated to our e-mail admins to review. I have not heard back from them yet, but once I do, I will let you know. Until then, let's see if we can resolve this slow email access you initially brought up.

Currently, your diagnostics show that you've got rain in your area, are you experiencing severe weather? If so, could it have maybe blown something in the way of or at your satellite dish?

Thanks,

Liz

Liz, 

Email is loading fine now, but still no contacts and can't add contacts. 

yes we had some very heavy rain for about 20 minutes that cut off internet but it came back up quickly

OK great, just making sure there wasn't something unusual happening with your system. Glad to hear that email loads fine. So all we have left is the email contacts matter. I'll keep you posted on that once I get any questions or instructions from our e-mail admins.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz