Video Data Saver missing...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Video Data Saver missing...

My Video Data Saver is missing tonight.  I power cycled the modem and restarted my computer.  Neither helped.  It's not in the Usage Meter or the myAccount site.  Anyone else having this issue? 

Annotation 2018-11-19 234014.jpg

Annotation 2018-11-19 234137.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for letting us know. I apologize this is happening again. I will have this escalated for you. 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

View solution in original post

Hi Gabe,

Our devs checked the VDS config stuff in the background and say all look correct. Can you please let me know if the setting is there now? Please log out fully before logging back in to check. Might as well clear the browser cache as well to be on the safe side. 

If it's still missing, please take a screenshot so I can send to the devs. Thank you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
maratsade

That's so odd, Gabe.  I wonder what can cause something like that, and I hope it fixes itself, so you can watch HBO.

@GabeU wrote:

Update:  I tried power cycling the modem, though it didn't matter.  

Earlier this morning, I got an "oops" response to the history display and, like you, the video saver was gone.

So I tried my usual trick of quitting the Usage app, deleting the "~/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter" folder, then restarted the usage meter and it was all back. Might want to try that with your Roaming/HughesNet folder in Winders.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Well, it's back.  🙂  

GabeU

@MarkJFine

I saw that with the Usage History, as well.  It's working again tonight.    

The next time this happens I'll give your suggestion a try.  The only thing is, each time it's happened, I also don't have the "Settings" option on the MyAccount site, nor do I have it on the HughesNet mobile app, even when using my phone's data and not connecting via HughesNet's WiFi.  I've even shut down my desktop, left it off, power cycled the modem, and then tried it with the phone again, as well as two other computers.  

At first I thought that it might be something with the computer, maybe along the lines of what you discovered, but with all of the other methods not working either, I think that, with at least these last few times, it's something different.  Still, again, I'll give your suggestion a try the next time it does it rather than assuming it may be caused by something else.  One never knows what might help.  Thanks!  🙂  

Edit:  I forgot to mention that, whenever I've lost the VDS control in the past, I tried a couple of things to have it show up again in the Usage Meter, but what most often worked is just exiting the Usage Meter and restarting it.  That was practically the first thing I tried these last couple of times, but it didn't help, of course.    

Think sometimes there's a SSL connection error between the app and the account query... the app needs to get some info about the user's account settings and the capabilities available.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning Gabe,

Our devs are logging files so that if this VDS thing happens again they can look back at the files and investigate from there. If it happens again, just drop us a line in this thread, I'll leave it open for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

That's great news. 

Thanks, Liz.  I really do appreciate it.  🙂  

GabeU

@Liz

It's gone again.  I powered the modem about an hour or so ago, and the computer about a half hour ago.  I just went to try an HD video on Youtube and the VDS control was there, in my Usage Meter.  I clicked on the control, but it wouldn't come up.  It just kept saying "Checking".  After about 30 or 40 seconds of waiting, I closed the Usage Meter and started it again, and now the VDS control is not there.  It's not there on the MyAccount site, either.  

I'm going to power cycle the modem in the hopes that it will be there.  It's 7:47PM EST right now.  I first tried accessing the control on the VDS about twelve minutes or so ago.  I know you said they're logging these things, but I thought maybe that info might help, nonetheless.  Wish me luck with the power cycle.  I'll edit the post as to whether the VDS showed up or not.  

----------------------------------------------------

Edit:  Well, I power cycled the modem (at plug, not through SCC), and while the modem was off I also deleted the HughesNet Usage Meter folder in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming", which Mark had suggested I try before.  It's the same thing to do to fix that annoying Usage Meter JavaScript error that pops up after a sudden power loss.  I powered the modem and waited until it was fully up, then started the Usage Meter.  I didn't restart my computer.  Amazingly, it worked!  🙂

Oddly enough, though the VDS is now in my Usage Meter again, and the control works this time, it's not showing up on the MyAccount site.  I could be that I have to close all open HughesNet pages, or even all open Chrome pages, and then open them again to get it to show up.  A page refresh did nothing.  I'll try restarting Chrome later.  

----------------------------------------------------

Edit 2:  Sure enough, closing all open Chrome pages and starting anew did the trick.  The VDS control is now there on the MyAccount site.  🙂  

I should have just tried all of this before posting, but maybe the logged files, and what I did to solve the issue, or at least what worked to solve it this time, will help the devs in some way.  

Happy New Year!  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Hi Gabe!

Thanks for the details, I hope this might be useful for the devs. I'll send this along. I hope you have a happy new year, too. 🙂

GabeU

Well, here were are again.  

I tried restarting the modem, both by power cycling and through the SCC, and I closed the meter and deleted the HughesNet Usage Meter folder so it could repopulate when I restarted it.  Nothing made a difference.  It's just not there right now.  😞  

I also tried to play an HD video, just to see if maybe the VDS wasn't working at all, but it seemed to be, as the HD video was buffering a lot.  So, there's just no way to shut it off or snooze it. 

Also, I know it's Saturday night and you (Liz) and the devs aren't here on the weekends.  Maybe it will be working again tomorrow.  It's funny that quite often when I don't need it, it's there, and often when I do, it's not.  I've got to flip that around.  😛 

Settings.png

Usage Meter.jpg

Hi Gabe,

The same thing happens to me on a regular basis. The only thing that has worked for me is restarting my computer. Sometimes I have to do this only 2 or 3 times, but there have been times I could not watch youtube videos for several days before The Video Data Saver magically came back.

I have brought this to HughesNet attention more than once but it keeps happening once or twice a month. .

GabeU

@rustythecur

Interesting.  When it happens like this, nothing seems to do the trick.  I've had it happen before where a restart, whether the computer, modem, or both, does the trick, but when it happens like the present nothing works.  I've tried everything I can think of, but there's nothing there.  😞

Hopefully the devs are still keeping a log of what's going on.  I'm lucky that I didn't really need to turn it off for anything, and I was still able to watch a couple of youtube vids in 480p without a problem.  

@GabeU wrote:

@rustythecur

................................but when it happens like the present nothing works.  I've tried everything I can think of, but there's nothing there.  😞

I've never been able to find the elusive critter.
GabeU

@Liz

If you see this before you leave, should I leave my modem plugged in when I log off this evening?  I don't know if it helps with anything.  

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for your latest updates, I'll send these over as well. To be on the safe side, yes, please leave the modem powered on, thank you!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Hi Gabe, 

Thank you for your latest updates, I'll send these over as well. To be on the safe side, yes, please leave the modem powered on, thank you! 

Will do.  Thanks, Liz.  🙂

GabeU

Shortly before getting online this evening I power cycled my modem, which had been plugged in since last night.  This was a little after 7:00PM EST.  A few minutes after the power cycle I started my desktop.  When I looked, the VDS control was there, both on the Usage Meter and the My Account site tab.  Hopefully it will stick around for a while this time.  😛 

If anyone did something to fix it, thank you.  🙂 

Thanks Gabe! I'll send this over, hopefully it will help give insight to our engineers. Personally I haven't gotten confirmation from them that they did anything to resolve this for you.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Thanks Gabe! I'll send this over, hopefully it will help give insight to our engineers. Personally I haven't gotten confirmation from them that they did anything to resolve this for you. 

Maybe the VDS just gets tired and has to take a break for a while.  Then, after it's good and rested, it pops back in for more work.  😛  

GabeU

@Liz 

Just letting you know that the VDS is playing hide and seek again.  😛  

I power cycled the modem, shut down and restarted the Usage Meter, and deleted the Usage Meter folder in the Roaming folder, like is done for the Javascript error.  Nothing caused it to reappear.  It's missing on the My Account site (Settings tab is not there), as well.  I haven't checked the mobile app, but I'd put money on it not being there, either.  

I'll be leaving in a hour or so, but I'll leave my modem plugged in.  

BTW, it disappeared yesterday, too.  Well, I should say that it wasn't there when I checked.  However, I shut down and restarted the Usage Meter, and within a couple of minutes it was back.  I didn't check the My Account site for the Settings tab when I noticed that it was missing from the Usage Meter, but when it was back I did, and the tab was there.  So, that little glitch may or may not have been related.  

I see there's another person who posted about the VDS disappearing, though they mention a pattern that I haven't noticed.  Then again, I haven't really been paying attention. I should start writing it down, just to see if there is one for me.  

Thanks.  🙂  

Thanks for the update! I'll let engineering know ASAP!