data token question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan11433
Junior

data token question

Right now I have 164.3 GB data tokens in total that I have been building every month with 25 GB data token sometime more. Is there a limited amount?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for posting and starting an interesting discussion. To put things to rest, I floated your question to our top tech person and he confirmed that only ~7% of our subscribers are on the 50 GB plan, so there's not much market demand for a higher plan. Not so say we won't ever roll out new plans, but should that be in the works and we're allowed to annouce any new plans, you'll hear about it.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't think so, but keep in mind that if you ever cancel and still have tokens, the tokens have no value, so you don't get any money back.

@maratsade wrote:

I don't think so, but keep in mind that if you ever cancel and still have tokens, the tokens have no value, so you don't get any money back.

At the moment I'm not looking forward to cancel and I was Comcast Business user that have limited us at 250 GB cap per month when I used to live in Jacksonville until 06-15-2019. HughesNet does not offer a plan that is more than 50 GB. Of course they have broken the pricing agreement that my service plan was 99.99 per month until 01-28-2022 that go up to 149.99 but they instead this year. Very strange huh?

GabeU

@Ryan11433 

Are you sure the discount was for the whole 24 months?  Normally the higher the discount, the shorter the term, and a $50 discount, which is significant, would normally only be for 12 months.  If you still have a copy of the offer I'm sure they'd honor it. 

BTW, HughesNet does offer Business plans with higher data thresholds, but they can be considerably more expensive.  Still, you may want to look into it if you're buying a lot of Data Tokens.  Also, don't forget that Data Tokens are non refundable, so if you cancel your service at some point, but still have a lot of unused Tokens, you won't get refunded for them.

@GabeU wrote:

@Ryan11433 

Are you sure the discount was for the whole 24 months?  Normally the higher the discount, the shorter the term, and a $50 discount, which is significant, would normally only be for 12 months.  If you still have a copy of the offer I'm sure they'd honor it. 

BTW, HughesNet does offer Business plans with higher data thresholds, but they can be considerably more expensive.  Still, you may want to look into it if you're buying a lot of Data Tokens.  Also, don't forget that Data Tokens are non refundable, so if you cancel your service at some point, but still have a lot of unused Tokens, you won't get refunded for them.

I do have a copy on a paper but they hide the 50 dollars credit remaining left (I tried to take a picture of recurring charges but I see that I cannot upload the picture to show it to you on this site. It shows promo service credit status active amount -50.00 cycle start 02-10-2020.) and I can’t find a copy that shows until 01-28-2022 but it did say until 01-28-2022 for 99.99 on My Service Plan (hughesnet.com). I do still have promo service credit but it was 0.00 instead of 50.00 on today invoice.

Further discussion about separated from data token subject is posted at $50 dollars increase before contract ends why? - HughesNet Community - 131463

@maratsade wrote:

Thanks for the note. 🙂

I just wanted to post that I've stopped purchasing data token per month until I only have around 50 GB data token left. Right now is at around 132.9 GB left. I really have purchased about 16 of 25 GB data token and that is 400 GB in total (16 x 75 = 1200 worth) under this 50 GB service data plan since last year in Feburary 2020.

HughesNet does support this. I really wonder why HughesNet does not offer more than 50 GB data service plan for Residential subscribers yet.

GabeU

@Ryan11433 wrote:

I really wonder why HughesNet does not offer more than 50 GB data service plan for Residential subscribers yet.

System capacity is such that it can't support it, and the only way they can expand capacity is by sending up another bird. 

A few people buying and using data tokens on a regular basis doesn't have the same effect on the system as tens of thousands of subscribers taking advantage of a larger data plan.

@GabeU wrote:

A few people buying and using data tokens on a regular basis doesn't have the same effect on the system as tens of thousands of subscribers taking advantage of a larger data plan.

What do you mean that it does not have same effect on the system?

GabeU

@Ryan11433 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

The impact on the system from a few people buying and using data tokens is a drop in the bucket compared to what the impact would be from thousands, if not tens of thousands of people buying and using larger data plans.

I always use roads as an analogy.  Say a road has a capacity of 20,000 cars per hour before it starts to experience a slowdown.  If traffic is generally under or sticks to that capacity, even a few extra cars every now and then (people using data tokens) isn't going to effect it much.  But if there is all of a sudden 30,000 cars per hour (larger plans being offered) trying to go down the road, traffic would slow down considerably.  That's what would happen with the system by adding larger data plans, as it's likely that a lot of people would upgrade to them.  The larger the plans offered, the greater the impact and the slower the service would be. 

@GabeU wrote:

@Ryan11433 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

But if there is all of a sudden 30,000 cars per hour (larger plans being offered) trying to go down the road, traffic would slow down considerably.  That's what would happen with the system by adding larger data plans, as it's likely that a lot of people would upgrade to them.  The larger the plans offered, the greater the impact and the slower the service would be. 

I don't get what you mean - I already purchased a lot of data is for as long I have data available there is no speed restrictions? I'm right now at 128.7 GB data token left. So far until next billing cycle on 28th (see chart below) and the remaining left of data token left does still stay because it is paid for.

Service Plan Data of 50 GB 0% remaining left. 8 am to 2 am.
Bonus Zone of 50 GB 8% remaining left. 2 am to 8 am.
Total Data Usage is 102.7 GB.

Edit: I might used wrong word saying bandwidth and replaced to total data usage for better understanding.

GabeU

@Ryan11433 

I don't have the ability to better explain it.  I suggest researching ISP system capacity, bandwidth and subscriber load to get a better understanding.

@GabeU wrote:

@Ryan11433 

I don't have the ability to better explain it.  I suggest researching ISP system capacity, bandwidth and subscriber load to get a better understanding.

If you do not have the skill why is that? I'm still under residential service as my prefix is DSS?

GabeU

@Ryan11433 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

@Ryan11433 

If you do not have the skill why is that? I'm still under residential service as my prefix is DSS?

It's not my job to help you understand.  You posited a question about data, and that question was answered.  HughesNet doesn't offer more data because they aren't going to offer what their system cannot support.  That's it.  

Yes, a prefix of DSS means you are a residential subscriber.

@GabeU wrote:

It's not my job to help you understand.  You posited a question about data, and that question was answered.  HughesNet doesn't offer more data because they aren't going to offer what their system cannot support.  That's it.  

Yes, a prefix of DSS means you are a residential subscriber.
If their system cannot support it why am I still online that I have extended their capacity of 50 GB data plan as the 14th time of their billing cycle under the new contract agreement? I say data token with unrestricted speed. 🙂

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for posting and starting an interesting discussion. To put things to rest, I floated your question to our top tech person and he confirmed that only ~7% of our subscribers are on the 50 GB plan, so there's not much market demand for a higher plan. Not so say we won't ever roll out new plans, but should that be in the works and we're allowed to annouce any new plans, you'll hear about it.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

Hello Ryan,

-Liz

Thank you for the information and I'm glad you find this thread interesting and if you meant only 7 or 17 percent subscribers are on 50 GB plan that what I see at the moment only 10, 20, 30 or 50 GB are offered. If that was true I think it is because not very many people can afford 149.99 to pay per month. Comcast Business did offer those before over ten years ago but I did not accept that offer at that time that I started with 20 GB starter plan. 

7% of subscribers are on the 50 GB plan, not 17%.

-Liz