Did you mean: 
randalldb
Sophomore

new modem installed still slow speed below 1MBPS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@randalldb 

Just to elaborate on Liz's mention of the DirecTV receiver, HughesNet normally recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers due to the amount of data they can use, even if no on demand viewing is performed.  DirecTV receivers are especially notorious for this.  They change to downloading some things through the connected internet rather than their own dish, chewing through data, and people have actually seen their monthly data allotment wiped out because of them.  Guide info, program descriptions and cast lists, and though I don't know for sure, I suspect those instant watch movies that you sometimes see in the Guide, as well.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them, but it's a risky device to have connected, data wise.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU

@randalldb 

If you're having speed issues, the reps will need a few test results from tests run in a specific way.  The instructions for the testing are here.  Please be sure to read them thoroughly before running the test and follow the directions.  If you run any upload tests, there is a discrepancy between the main page instructions and the "in depth guide".  You can use the 3MB file size for upload tests.  

Please be sure to indicate whether you are currently out of plan data.

Totally did all that. Several times. Hours spent and lost. Still extremely slow. Now what?
GabeU

@Swen0712 wrote:
Totally did all that. Several times. Hours spent and lost. Still extremely slow. Now what?

If you need help with speed issues, please start a new topic in order to keep your issue separate from the OP's.   You can do so here.

randalldb
Sophomore

testing at 4:45 am and speed is good, Ill check it later in the day see if it holds, but speed at that time has been less 500 kbps later in the day . is that to be expected when traffic is so much higher? do you want me to post the early am test results?

GabeU

@randalldb 

Unless you've exhausted your plan data, 500Kbps is pretty darn low, even with what's going on recently.  

You can post the test results link at any time, but just having a quick look at the HughesNet tests run at testmy.net, I think this may be it...

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Randalldb

Your speeds during are taking a hit, no doubt.  The reps won't be back until Monday, as they normally work M-F, so the earliest you'll likely hear from one is then.  I'll tag a couple of them to ensure that this is seen.  @Liz @Damian

I wait for Liz or Daiman at thier  convienence 

Liz

reHi randalldb,

Thanks for posting and sharing your speed test results. I see the HughesNet equipment is working normally, and that you're running off of data tokens right now until your data resets in a little over a day from now. You might want to keep that DirecTV device disconnected from the internet to conserve data and avoid running out of your Anytime Data.

What is it you're trying to do online? If it's a site or program that's being a challenge right now, please post which one(s) and describe what you're experiencing.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@randalldb 

Just to elaborate on Liz's mention of the DirecTV receiver, HughesNet normally recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers due to the amount of data they can use, even if no on demand viewing is performed.  DirecTV receivers are especially notorious for this.  They change to downloading some things through the connected internet rather than their own dish, chewing through data, and people have actually seen their monthly data allotment wiped out because of them.  Guide info, program descriptions and cast lists, and though I don't know for sure, I suspect those instant watch movies that you sometimes see in the Guide, as well.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them, but it's a risky device to have connected, data wise.

Well , during peak hours my internet speed had been around 500 kbps, an agent sent me a new router, plugged it in, waited an hour, then finished the install, initially the performance was the same, but now its risen to acceptable levels. Still not what I would call good but in this time I'll say it'll do. If it drops back to what seems like the old dial up 14.4 I'll send you a note, thanks for your response
I will unplug my dtv Reciever unless I want to download a show

2AM , thats when im awake for work, now its so slow that testmy.net wont even load, even hughesnet speed test wont load...bizarre  

GabeU

@randalldb 

That's not good.  Did it eventually speed up?  The reason I ask this is that 2:00AM is normally when a lot of people are jumping online, whether live or via schedule activity/download, to perform their more data intensive activities.  It can normally take a bit of a hit around then, but with so many more people being home I imagine the hit can be that much worse.  It normally speeds back up after those activities are completed.

Still, if it's so slow that things aren't even loading, that's really bad. 

I see you're getting some speed tests in (from looking at your testmy page), so that should help the reps in figuring out what's going on.  Hopefully they'll reply soon.

Hello randalldb,

I just ran diagnostics on your site, the equipment is working normally. What were you trying to do that prompted running speed tests?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi randalldb,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz