"MY ACCOUNT" secure or not?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

"MY ACCOUNT" secure or not?

A while back someone asked why My Account doesn't seem to be  a secure site.

Was there a response from HN?

If there was a response I can't find the thread.

Is My Account still not secure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Reggie,

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to update you on this topic. I was informed recently that an update was done which addressed secure pages for myAccount across the board.

Thanks,

Amanda

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Hi Amanda,

Thank You.

Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Sorry for the wait. I did have a call with the project leaders for the update we're waiting on. There were some setbacks that means HTTPs will take a bit longer than we expected, but the estimate is that we'll see it released within the coming months. Just as an FYI, our security team is actively engaged to ensure the update is done quickly and that we are taking all needed measures in the meantime to keep everyone's information secure. 

As always, I'll keep my calendar marked here and there to remind me to ask for updates and get you anything I can. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Are there any updates yet?

Asking the same thing over here Reggie. I hope you trust me when I say I am all over anyone involved in this over here, but I've shaken the tree bare to this point. I promise you this is at the top of a literal list of my tasks and I'll beeline over here with the latest.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@Amanda wrote:

Asking the same thing over here Reggie. I hope you trust me when I say I am all over anyone involved in this over here, but I've shaken the tree bare to this point. I promise you this is at the top of a literal list of my tasks and I'll beeline over here with the latest.

After waiting this long for an answer, I'm not sure who or what to trust. I'm just being honest.I'm not pointing a finger at anyone. I don't understand why it takes over 6 months to respond with the truth. If they can't make the site secure just say so. Then everyone can make an informed decision. Everyone says to do research before making any decision on buying a product. If the company won't be honest, what good is doing any research.

JMHO

Reggie

I'd like to put in my two cents on this one. To me, this entire thread is an example of the outstanding work the moderators do for us. As well, it may point out some of the weaknesses of the Hughesnet system. I'm not a technical expert, so I can't say why it would take six months to upgrade something to make the MyAccount secure, which is obviously an issue that is concerning to many paying customers. However, I want to give extra kudos to @Amanda, who has stayed on top of this issue on behalf of the customers this whole time. She doesn't have the power to make the upgrade to the system herself, nor can she tell the engineers/programmers what to do and when to do it. She can only advocate for us, and she has done that superbly. Thanks, Amanda! I'm hoping, along with everyone else, that we can indeed have our MyAccount area completely secure sooner rather than later.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure it's a very limited staff with many other higher priorities.

Unless it's something immensely simple that could be knocked out in a few minutes, these things can sometimes just sink to the bottom of the list.

For example, I would think ensuring TLS robustness would be a higher priority before moving anything to https, mainly because it's a prerequisite for it to work properly. Also, unless I'm thinking about this wrong, the actual threat of someone intercepting anything unencrypted behind the system's double-nat and within the system itself is likely quite low.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Second try. I've been having trouble with my router.

Mark,

Thank you for the info. You are more tech savvy & understand networking far more than myself. If you think this site is safe I will trust your knowledge.

Reggie

Thanks. Of course, my theory falls apart if you're accessing it from Verizon or something other than HughesNet... 😬

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Mark my network is simple.

1 Hughesnet modem

2Linksys router

3Acer desktop ethernet cabled

4   1 laptop wireless

If I had a larger network I would have to have IT on speeddial on my home phone.

Reggie

Hi Reggie,

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to update you on this topic. I was informed recently that an update was done which addressed secure pages for myAccount across the board.

Thanks,

Amanda

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@Amanda wrote:

Hi Reggie,

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda'

Thank you for the update. I think we can can close this thread as resolved.

Again, Thankyou.

Sounds good to me Reggie! 

@GabeU yes. this is in progress 🙂

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Amanda 

Thank you!  

Do you know if they're still working on securing the email site?