cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

treasurydirect.gov not accessable on Hughesnet

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: treasurydirect.gov not accessable on Hughesnet

I don't know if this would make a difference, but it might be worth it to try an alternate DNS, like Google's.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
mkglish
New Poster

Thanks for the additional work around. Your suggestion of using a proxy server has worked as my current workaround. If Hughesnet ignores the problem this will give me a reason to switch to Starlink when the snow melts.
maratsade

I don't think it's them.  As you may have seen, Fox12 can get to the site just fine, using the same ISP, so it's not an ISP issue.  @GabeU suggested changing DNS, but you may also want to try clearing the DNS in your system.  Here's the procedure:

1. Turn off all of the devices using the modem directly or via wifi (all phones, iPads, computers, etc.)

2. Unplug the modem's power from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem back in.

4. After all the lights on the modem are back on, wait an extra 5 minutes, then turn all your devices on one-by-one

5.  Try the site again.

EDIT: I ran a traceroute and the request dead ends in LA due to what appears to be a dead CenturyLink server. Changing your DNS using the procedure above may reroute the request around the dead server (which is not a HughesNet server). 

mkglish
New Poster

I tried the suggested power the modem off/on. No change , I am still unable to connect to treasurydirect.gov. Hughesnet appears to be ignoring fixing this problem or even acknowledging it is their problem. I'll take this inaction as their indication I should just find a new ISP. For the record here is the error message I receive. "Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to www.treasurydirect.gov. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR"
maratsade

Mike, it's not a HughesNet issue. Running a tracert shows that the problem is with a CenturyLink server in LA, not with HughesNet. When you use a VPN you bypass that server.  

mkglish
New Poster

Thank you for your response. Since I have no contract with CenturyLink who may be part of the problem the resolution still must lie with Hughhesnet who contracts with Centurylink. If Hughesnet has a supplier problem then it is their (Hughesnet) responsibility to get it fixed. Again thanks for the information. That may explain why once in the past weeks my connection to treasurydirect.gov worked for a single day. I'm going to guess I was switched to a different ground station which connected to an alternate Internet backbone. Always interesting to see where my "local" walmart, Lowes, Homedeport... comes up day to day as my earth station link moves about the country. I'm also guessing that the power the modem down/up can cause the assignment of earth stations to change thus "fixing" my problem until I get switched back to a earth station with the problem. Dear Hughesnet - please just fix this problem. I really don't want to have to switch ISPs.
maratsade

I hope your issue gets solved. 

Liz

Good morning folks,

Thank you for sharing your findings. I've escalated this internally to management and they have our network infrastructure team investigating. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi folks, 

Thank you for your patience while our engineers investigate. Hughes has identified that the Treasury Direct website claims to support IPv6, but is not configured correctly. Since HughesNet does use IPv6 where possible, connection attempts are failing. Using a provider or VPN that does not support IPv6 will automatically use IPv4 and is likely to work. Hughes is working on a workaround so that customers attempting to reach this site automatically fall back to IPv4 and has alerted the website developer to the issue. Independent tests such as https://ipv6-test.com/validate.php and https://ready.chair6.net can be used to verify the web server's misconfiguration.

As maratsade pointed out, using a proxy like hide.me can be used to access the site, and alternatively you can reboot your PC to try accessing the site.

Once I have any other news to share, I'll post back.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

pankr003
Freshman

This problem occurred before and there are other questions about it if you search. Hughes must have fixed the problem before.  I asked about the problem in 2018 if I remember right. Now it came back on two of my computers but one works OK.