A private messaging system?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

A private messaging system?

It's just a question, but have any of you been in a situation on here where the ability to private message in real time would have made something so much easier?  Like situations where you are trying to explain something to someone, and it takes a LOT of posts and those posts sometimes step on each other.  

It's just a thought.  Of course, the drawback to a private message is that the solution could be given there instead of the thread, which wouldn't help other people having the same problem.  

11 REPLIES 11
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

yup, there has been many times where there is a need to exchange information that is better not plastered all over a public website.

In the past we had users join the now defunct Shack. Then there is IM system on dslr.
The Exede GS site has a "Champs only"  tag for posts between champs but that is no help when dealing with a subscriber and I don't see it as an option here on Hughes.
maratsade

It's just a question, but have any of you been in a situation on here where the ability to private message in real time would have made something so much easier?
YES, many times.  I'd like to see the ability to send a message, even if it's just a regular, not instant, message.  I'd also like to have the ability to block users so I don't see their posts.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well, the core Champions here have a method of communication outside this forum...  We have been begging for a PM like system for ages, but such systems can backfire and cause issues...
maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:
Well, the core Champions here have a method of communication outside this forum...  We have been begging for a PM like system for ages, but such systems can backfire and cause issues...

I'm glad we have all gotten the ability to send PMs, even though there will be issues, no doubt.  I had no way of communicating with anyone except the mods, and there were times I would have welcomed a means to contact another user.

GabeU

Absolutely.  The ability to PM will certainly come in handy.  

Yes, we're also excited to finally have a private messaging system with our new community!

Now there's no need to create new threads aim directly at individual users, just shoot a PM and you can have your side conversation in private. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

but such systems can backfire and cause issues...
Absolutely.  

Amanda

Just throwing this out there that we use GetSatisfaction who does not offer Private Messaging, stickies or a lot of features in general. We definitely need to get in 2017 mode, IMHO.
maratsade

GetSatisfaction is definitely pretty bare bones, but I guess they see their platform as something designed strictly to help customers contact a company,  not as a social site.  I haven't been to many GS sites, but I'd say that this one here stands out because there are so many cool people here, and that makes this site more than just a customer-company interaction place. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

You're right, Corrosive. LOL. Very retro.