Editing with a quote added

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Editing with a quote added

Noticed this a few times, where if you quote post you're responding to, one of two things happen:
1. Sometimes there is no "white space" at the end to add your response.

2. When adding a space between portions of a quote, anything typed gets treated as part of the quote.

Think what's happening is adding a return at the end of line just continues the style as if it were part of the quote instead of something new. As a result, anything typed looks as if it's part of the quote and becomes quite difficult for anyone other than the party who typed it to recognized it's an added (sometimes interspersed) comment or response.

Pretty sure this is something Lithium might need to fix and I'm sure their first (easiest) response would be to make quoted parts uneditable. That would be a shame, since you still would want to pare down parts of a quote to the relevant portions that you're responding to in the first place.

Subtracting from a quote should be fine, it's just adding anything new or changing it to say something different should look like it's attributable to the one responding, not the one being quoted.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, since I've seen this a number of times.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

i have noticed this too, and a fix would be nice. 

GabeU

Interesting.  I've not had any instances where there is not whitespace at the bottom after quoting.  

I have had instances where, if altering a quote, the whitespace at the bottom will disappear and cause anything typed at the bottom to be considered as part of the quote.  To prevent this issue before it even starts, I lock that white space with gibberish.  What I mean is, if I'm quoting something, I quote right off the bat, before I do anything else.  Then, the very next thing I do is go to the whitespace after the quote and put gibberish or a word, or whatever.  It doesn't matter what I put there, just as long as there's something there to "hold" the spot so it doesn't disappear.  Then, I go up and alter the quote in whatever way I planned on, whether deleting a paragraph or sentence, or whatever, and then I go back down and type my own message where the gibberish is.  It preserves it.  

Regarding number 2, I don't do it that way.  What I do if addressing specific portions of a quote, and multiple portions, I quote the whole thing, lock the whitespace as mentioned above, then delete the part of the quote I'm NOT replying to.  I then type the response in the locked whitespace after deleting the gibberish (but not backing up one space too far, as that will again make it part of the quote (CTRL Z takes care of that, though).  After my reply I hit enter a couple of times, then quote the entire thing again, lock the whitespace, then delete the part of the quote not being replied to, then go back to the whitespace below it and reply, then hit enter a couple of times, and do that over and over and over for however may separate parts of the quote I want to address separately.  

@MarkJFine wrote:

Noticed this a few times, where if you quote post you're responding to, one of two things happen:
1. Sometimes there is no "white space" at the end to add your response.

Like this...

@MarkJFine wrote: 

Think what's happening is adding a return at the end of line just continues the style as if it were part of the quote instead of something new. As a result, anything typed looks as if it's part of the quote and becomes quite difficult for anyone other than the party who typed it to recognized it's an added (sometimes interspersed) comment or response.

And this....

@MarkJFine wrote: 

Pretty sure this is something Lithium might need to fix and I'm sure their first (easiest) response would be to make quoted parts uneditable. That would be a shame, since you still would want to pare down parts of a quote to the relevant portions that you're responding to in the first place.

And this, and so on.  I just quote the whole thing again, lock the whitespace with whatever (gibberish, word, number, etc) then delete the part of the quote I'm NOT replying to, keeping what I am, and then typing my reply in the saved whitespace (after deleting the gibberish).  I learned this trick a long time ago, as I was getting sick of my replies ending up looking like they were part of the quotes.  If you post something in the whitespace and don't delete so much that it pulls that spot up into the quote, the whitespace will be preserved for you to reply in.  Again, though, if you do delete too much, CTRL-Z undoes it.  

So, 

1.  Quote.

2.  Lock the whitespace with gibberish or a word or whatever.

3.  Edit the quote.

4.  Delete the gibberish and type your reply in the whitespace.

- If replying to multiple parts of quote...

5.  Quote again.

6.  Lock whitespace.

7.  Edit quote.

8.  Delete gibberish and type your reply

Etc...  

@GabeU

That's a good workaround, and very helpful, but it's also a lot of work if there's a really long, detailed post. Lots of quoting and slashing, when only one should do.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU

That's a good workaround, and very helpful, but it's also a lot of work if there's a really long, detailed post. Lots of quoting and slashing, when only one should do.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, especially with a long reply, and having to quote and delete the part of the quote you're not replying to each time can get old.  I couldn't figure out any other way to do it, though, as replying to any part of the quote, other than the end, would cause the reply to become part of the quote.  Very annoying, for sure.  

@MarkJFine, on my phone, your disclaimer reads, "I am Highesnet customer and not a"-- I don't know if it's just my phone or if part of it accidentally got erased. I noticed it the other day; just thought you should know.

@debbie.jean.bro

It's the aspect ratio of the phone's browser. I noticed it on my phone yesterday. For some reason a sig line only displays on one physical line and won't wrap if the screen width is narrower, as with phones vs. a desktop.

maratsade

Definitely. It's an improvement over the previous community.

Yeah, signatures are poorly implemented...  However, it's more than what we had in the past!

maratsade

You can always fill in the blank. 🙂

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
on my phone, your disclaimer reads, "I am Highesnet customer and not a"-- I don't know if it's just my phone or if part of it accidentally got erased. I noticed it the other day; just thought you should know.

(deleted)

Just for clarity, that was really in reference to an old Robin Williams joke: "I am not an animal... I'm a comedian..." and not anything connected to HughesNet.

Edit: Ended up just deleting it. Why tempt fate.

maratsade

Well, phooey. Now I'm curious. 

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! (The Prisoner)

It was a picture of the Elephant Man with a caption: "I am not an animal."

Realized afterwards it could be taken out of context by someone with an axe to grind (like that never happens here), so I deleted it.

Thank you,  I was not aware of this! We'll definitely look into it and see if we can tweak something to fix that.

On the topic of I am, I am not... 

The Fifth Element

maratsade

@GabeU, that's an excellent workaround.  I've noticed the problem and it's irritating; I hope Lithium can tweak something so it gets fixed.