Free service for students whose schools are clised

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grammie61
New Poster

Free service for students whose schools are clised

Hughes need to follow suit with other Internet companies and not charge customers with children who are having to school at home because of the Norovirus. It should be free and unlimited to all student families. This comes from Steven's County Washington.
10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yeah, that's not going to happen, even though I'm sure they'd very much want to do it.  Satellite internet is different from Earth-based internet, in that the amount of broadband is very limited and cannot be increased.

Uncapped broadband would make internet access impossible, and everyone would be very angry.  I'm sure they'll find a way to help people, within reason, but unlimited, free internet is not going to be it. 

Perhaps you could write to your local representatives to bring terrestial cable to your area. 

And it's the coronavirus, not the norovirus. 

Grammie61 wrote:
Hughes need to follow suit with other Internet companies and not charge customers with children who are having to school at home because of the Norovirus. It should be free and unlimited to all student families. This comes from Steven's County Washington.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Perhaps you could write to your local representatives to bring terrestial cable to your area.

HAHAHA I have to laugh at that. Because that part of the state is so remote.

maratsade

Not to mention that most representatives and local areas are just not interested in bringing better internet to the region. But if no one starts demanding it, they will never do anything.

Reggie wrote:

HAHAHA I have to laugh at that. Because that part of the state is so remote.

GabeU

I can see families of those who have school kids home now getting it for free or at a reduced price if the government subsidizes it, but HughesNet is too small of a company to do that on their own without the real possibility of creating a financially untenable situation.  Unlike the large companies, they don't have the billions and billions of profit to dip into in order to cover the lost income.

maratsade

FedCC news:

Internet Providers Won’t Cut Off Users Over Unpaid Bills for 60 Days
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/business/internet-providers-coronavirus.html

Edit: link to the PDF document

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

FedCC news:

Internet Providers Won’t Cut Off Users Over Unpaid Bills for 60 Days
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/business/internet-providers-coronavirus.html

Very interesting.  The problem with this is that some people who don't truly need to miss paying their bill would do so anyway.  Those bigger companies could take that hit.  

I wonder if HughesNet will follow suit in some form.

maratsade

I imagine there will be negative consequences, unfortunately. 

@GabeU wrote:

Very interesting.  The problem with this is that some people who don't truly need to miss paying their bill would do so anyway.  Those bigger companies could take that hit.  I wonder if HughesNet will follow suit in some form.

Liz

Good morning Grammie61,

We hear your concerns and are actively working on multiple solutions for our customers. We understand that this will change usage typical usage habits and needs. Please check back with us soon for an official statement.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Is there any update from the officials that make the decisions on helping those that have to work from home or have children home? There has to be some way that Hughes net can help with data/usage.
maratsade

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/About-the-Community/COVID-19-and-Your-HughesNet-Service/m-p/12066...

Dtomblin wrote:
Is there any update from the officials that make the decisions on helping those that have to work from home or have children home? There has to be some way that Hughes net can help with data/usage.