My thoughts on the Community?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

My thoughts on the Community?

Let me give you my thoughts on the Community.  It has become worthless.

SIX DELETED POSTS, including the latest which was trying to help someone with speed issues.    

I'm tired of this.  I'm about done with it.  

Hughesnet, you want customers to help customers, but when you delete posts that becomes impossible.  

THERE WAS NO REASON TO DELETE THIS LATEST POST.  

35 REPLIES 35
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think I found the issue???

Seems the automated bot, "ResponseUser" is doing the deletes...

I decided to post exactly what GabeU had, then went back and made an edit to include a link, almost immediately the post was deleted...

______________________________________Original Post______________________________________________

First, welcome to the Community.  

You metioned that Hughesnet speed tests are giving your "high numbers."  What are the results you are getting?  

Are you connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable or are you connected wirelessly through a router?  If through a router, do you notice any difference in speeds when connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable?  

There is a protocol for speed testing that helps the reps get an idea of what is going on with your speeds and how to address it.  It is as follows....

<After posting I add a link here via edit, the post is immediately deleted here> 

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.  You can do so by clicking on "Results" and copying the URL in the address bar and pasting it into a reply post.  

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:

-perform the tests while signed into your account at testmy.net
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GabeU

Yep.  It immediately deleted the second after I went back and added the URL to the speed test site we all use.  It did the same to CORROSIVE.    

Mods....getting auto deleted when adding that URL is a REAL PROBLEM.  If we can't direct users to that test site, which is the one we always send users to, that's not good.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Posting JUST the Macro portion, and it's not being deleted... So...? @Liz an answer as to what's happening would be nice... Also, the bot seemingly moderated me for a short time?!

Can I kick @ResponseUser in the gonads? XD

GabeU

Please, kick VERY hard!!!!

maratsade

"I think I found the issue???"

Impressive. How did you figure it out?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

By doing too many things that I am too tired to discuss right at this moment.  Gabe can fill you in on what and how we figured things out.  Such a long night =.=

Having posts deleted due to it containing a link is beyond ridiculous. How can we suggest that a user download and install Glasswire without a link? How can we ask a novice user to download and install the Download Status Meter without giving them a link to the location?. How do we direct users back to their core topic without a link.

While we all understand the need to have profanity filters and control spammers there is a definite problem when we spend an hour putting together a detailed reply for a user only the have it "botted".

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Having posts deleted due to it containing a link is beyond ridiculous. How can we suggest that a user download and install Glasswire without a link? How can we ask a novice user to download and install the Download Status Meter without giving them a link to the location?. How do we direct users back to their core topic without a link.

While we all understand the need to have profanity filters and control spammers there is a definite problem when we spend an hour putting together a detailed reply for a user only the have it "botted".

Do you think this setting has been enabled on purpose, or that it might be a question of having to fine-tune the settings so they don't go all commando on the posts?  I don't remember there being a problem before... Didn't this issue start recently?  It seems odd that the setting would be set in such a way as to prevent internal links (such as to other posts), and there have been posts before, on this new community, that contain links and are still sitting there un-deleted (I'd provide a link, but, well....LOL).

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Gwalk900,

The issue seems more or less if you use a Macro, as well as adding text to the post, then a few minutes later go back and modify the urls or add urls to what was already there.  It seems this is more of an anti-spam/scam system.  Some forums have issues with bots/people making a post and once it sees the post is successful go back and add in urls to scams.  This bot may be misinterpreting what we are doing as that.

"The issue seems more or less if you use a Macro"

Not always

"It seems this is more of an anti-spam/scam system"

I agree. It is something that needs to be addressed. However it is, in this Community at least, is set to too great an intensity or something and needs to be 'adjusted'. While it surely is preventing trolls, spammers and the like it is also hampering users, both novice and experienced alike. It is time, it is more than time for either the person that controls ResponseUser or the A/I ResponseUser itself to pop in and say hello.

Time to get it tuned up or tuned out.

I have for example over 8200 posts in the Community, more than most if not all of the Mods ..... BirdDog (really old Pup!) has over 10,000.

I am hard pressed to believe that an A/I Community Bot can't be trained better than this.

"This bot may be misinterpreting what we are doing as that"

Then the issue needs to be seen for what it is and addressed.

Posts by 'Regulars" don't need to be .... deleted .... unless the Regular has lost his/her place ... and then their Community accounts can be  ... adjusted as deemed necessary.

GabeU

Whether it's due to adding a URL to a macro already posted, adding a URL to something not containing a macro that has already been posted, or adding a URL to an initial post, it definitely needs to be addressed.  

I had planned on doing a few test posts to see what the results were, doing one of each of the above things, but I am afraid that if I do that I will get tagged and booted.  As it is, when trying to figure out what was going on, CORROSIVE ended up under "moderation" for a short time, and only after testing what I had done that had gotten my post deleted.  It confirmed it, but at the same time put him in the precarious position of being watched by the forum gods.  I don't want to put myself in that position, nor ask anyone else to put themselves in that position, either.  

So, I am not able to test whether it's one, two or all three of the things I mentioned that can cause a deletion.  The only one we know for sure is adding a URL to a macro with an edit after the macro has already been posted.  I simply added the URL to the speed testing site recommended, and the system didn't like that, immediately dumping the entire post.  

Inadvertantly, it also led to my discovery that this is why a few of my other posts have been deleted.  At least now I know that reason.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I wonder if the bot is using some sort of URL detection method...  One of my topics that was deleted had links to a website that hadn't been posted here before...  So I am going to edit this post, and see what, if anything, happens during edits...

http://cnn.com

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE

http://newegg.com

http://testmy.net 

http://testmy.net/results/c0rr0sive

I am wondering if this only happens in one particular board... hmm...

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have upset the great overlord known as ResponseUser and figured out a triggering condition I think!  @GabeU @Gwalk900
222a820ca46c941c6dd889a62cf92efd.png

So it IS anti-spam for this triggering condition...  Post a URL, edit and add in another variation of the URL, like testmy.net vs testmy.net/results, and add in various additions.  This is similar to those bots/people that post spam that contains links to dozens of uber cheap fake Galaxy S14320982y35 phones for $10 that would cost $800+ for the real deal.

All that aside, I just noticed one of my posts had been moderated that contained nothing that was wrong, against policy, broke NDA or anything of the sort, and had no actual links and it was moderated...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic:  System Control Center link incorrect... By GabeU  I am afraid to even post the friggen URL as I feel I am seriously wasting time at this point in the community...

@GabeU wrote:

That was the problem.  It's working fine, now.  

I'm going to go back to using Google's DNS servers as the adapter on my desktop likes to change the DNS address multiple times if I have it set to automatic.  Locking in Google's DNS stops this from happening.  

That's certainly not good, you really should try to dig deeper and find out why your computer keeps doing that...  It (the computer) should always depend on the DNS server built into your router, and the router should always be doing the lookup or responding with cached records.

@GabeU wrote:

I don't know what you mean about making sure that the local DNS server on my router lets me input my own records.  The only thing I changed in my router, regarding DNS, is changing its IPv4 DNS to Google's.  

All consumer grade routers have a basic DNS server, but some more advanced ones will allow users to input their own DNS records, I highly doubt you have one that lets you do that though....  But, you could modify your hosts file so that the computer at least always knows where the address is... Just remember, by default most Hughesnet programs in use will look for systemcontrolcenter.com and if it can't resolve, it wont work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Amanda and @Liz get in touch with whoever knows about that bot and the algorithim you guys are using, I have a huge feeling that's why the community has slowed down so much, new topics are probably being autocanned when they shouldn't be, and it's plainly obvious even legitimate postings that shouldn't be canned are being canned, unless this is the new and improved direction we are going...

maxresdefault.jpg

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have upset the great overlord known as ResponseUser and figured out a triggering condition I think!  @GabeU @Gwalk900
222a820ca46c941c6dd889a62cf92efd.png

So it IS anti-spam for this triggering condition...  Post a URL, edit and add in another variation of the URL, like testmy.net vs testmy.net/results, and add in various additions.  This is similar to those bots/people that post spam that contains links to dozens of uber cheap fake Galaxy  phones for $10 that would cost $800+ for the real deal.

All that aside, I just noticed one of my posts had been moderated that contained nothing that was wrong, against policy, broke NDA or anything of the sort, and had no actual links and it was moderated...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic:  System Control Center link incorrect... By GabeU  I am afraid to even post the friggen URL as I feel I am seriously wasting time at this point in the community...

@GabeU wrote:

I'm going to go back to using Google's DNS servers as the adapter on my desktop likes to change the DNS address multiple times if I have it set to automatic.  Locking in Google's DNS stops this from happening.  

That's certainly not good, you really should try to dig deeper and find out why your computer keeps doing that...  It (the computer) should always depend on the DNS server built into your router, and the router should always be doing the lookup or responding with cached records.

@GabeU wrote:

I don't know what you mean about making sure that the local DNS server on my router lets me input my own records.  The only thing I changed in my router, regarding DNS, is changing its IPv4 DNS to Google's.  

All consumer grade routers have a basic DNS server, but some more advanced ones will allow users to input their own DNS records, I highly doubt you have one that lets you do that though....  But, you could modify your hosts file so that the computer at least always knows where the address is... Just remember, by default most Hughesnet programs in use will look for retractedlink and if it can't resolve, it wont work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Amanda and @Liz get in touch with whoever knows about that bot and the algorithim you guys are using, I have a huge feeling that's why the community has slowed down so much, new topics are probably being autocanned when they shouldn't be, and it's plainly obvious even legitimate postings that shouldn't be canned are being canned, unless this is the new and improved direction we are going...

maxresdefault.jpg

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I give the **bleep** up.

@Amanda and @Liz I know you two got an email about the post I most recently made, it was almost immediately thrown into the can, not a darned thing wrong with it, but the bot is firing off anyways.  I will not be posting further as I can't even figure out what is wrong in the post, and have tried numerous times.

grr photo GRRR_zpszt3fm0m7.png
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

BTW, for the ones wondering, if you manage to get the moderated message when doing posts/edits, if you are fast enough you can click the link to see everything that was moderated, though it seems to show it in random order and not most recent first.
https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected

I guess on the bright side... We now have a way to delete our posts...? lol

Hello all!

You all are awesome, this helps. I agree, this seems to be the doing of our spam prevention system, and as far as I can tell, we can only turn it on or off. I'll have to dig further to see if there isn't another setting I can fiddle with to fix this, otherwise I'll have to let Lithium know what's going on. This is a hindrance for anyone wanting to provide help and we definitely want to get this resolved for you ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

Edit:

In the meantime, I'm gonna try out turning the spam prevention system off. I would hope that since participating here requires being a HughesNet customer, we shouldn't have any problem from randoms signing up to spam ads. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks Liz

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I am honestly somewhat surprised that Lithium doesn't have adjustable settings for the anti-spam bot, actually very surprised...  Unlikely we would see much spam here anyways since you must have a Hughes SAN to register and post here (don't necessairly need a Hughes address from the way logon appears).  But, it's a nice catch-all for spam that may possibly somehow happen over the weekend from irritated customers.

It seems that in the past we have had more issues with disgruntled subscribers than we have had with real spammers (The Nigerian Prince wants to send you $9 million tax free)

Frustration we can work through, profanity can be filtered,  for the abusers there is always the Ban Hammer.