Signing in each and every visit?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Signing in each and every visit?

Is it normal to have to sign in with each and every visit?  Even if I close out the window and come back within fifteen seconds, I have to sign in again.  Is this normal?  If I get notices of replies throughout the day, am I going to have to leave a Hughesnet Community window open to keep me signed in?  Shouldn't there be an option to remain signed in.  

I know the mods will probably quickly get sick of "On the other Hughesnet Community...", but on the other Hughesnet Community I rarely had to sign in as my computer would stay signed in.  

Actually, yesterday it was staying signed in.

I know Jezra started a related post, but I figured his was more about actively signing out and remaining signed in than just remaining signed in when one didn't try to sign out.  

45 REPLIES 45

Wow!  I'm impressed and flattered (even tho you did say you were bored LOL) that you went to all that trouble, but, I have a feeling it was fun for you 🙂  And THANK YOU for letting me know that the first half of your message didn't include the reason for the avatar remaining when I'm not logged in.  I was feeling pretty stupid!   So I kinda sorta understand (but not really)  what you described, but I wonder WHY (they) decided to set it up like they did.  I've never run across this in over 20 years of signing into forums.  Not a bid deal tho.  I do prefer the forums that let me stay logged in 🙂

I'm pretty sure it is because you aren't just signing in to the forums, you are signing in to your Hughesnet account. Reading through some previous posts it seems like the logins are being handled like this because of some company policy.

I do agree, though, that I prefer to stay signed in.. but it's not like signing in is really a hastle!

Hi folks,

Thank you for your patience, while we finally got an explanation for the likely reason for the more frequent logouts:

Once a user has authenticated within the community it is largely controlled by the LiSESSIONID cookie. This cookie is considered a session cookie, so whenever someone closes their browser it is removed per the standard session cookie policies. When this cookie is removed due to the browser being closed you should find that you are logged out the next time you visit the community and will have to log in again. 

This may also explain why this happens when users are closing their browser tabs depending on how their browser is configured, as browsers can be configured to delete cookies when a tab is closed. 

Sessions will also automatically expire on their own within a community, which should be 2 hours for the HughesNet community (note: this is assuming the user didn't close their browser or clear their cookies). Session expiration will begin counting down based on the last action taken by a user. If the user takes some other action before 2 hours has passed their session should be "refreshed" and the count down will start again. This may explain the variance that some of the users are reporting from day to day as they may be active more one day than they are the other (e.g.: someone who is active over the course of a 12 hour period should stay logged in throughout that period, whereas someone who is active for 1 hour then inactive for 2 hours will have to log in again). 

If you're experiencing log-out issues which aren't explained by the above, please post back describing your experience and include a time stamp and your time zone so that Lithium can check their logs.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:
Any new or different login/logout behaviors lately? I still have an open case with Lithium on this and asked for an update. Just wondering if this issue is still as persistent as when first reported.

It seems to be behaving in the same ANNOYING manner for me.